The 2021 Jets and Beyond have a Bright Future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 23, 2020.

1. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

CMAN, with all due respect, Kenny O'Brien actually was a pretty good QB and had some great years in the mid 80's. He also outplayed Marino in several head-to-head match ups. Honestly, I always thought that the whole "Jets BLEW IT by not taking Marino" angle was yet another overplayed storyline from the media. Personally, I think Marino was overrated. If you go back and look at his stats, he threw a ton of INT's throughout his career, and he had a number of seasons in his physical prime, where he wasn't as good as I was led to believe he was when I was a kid. He never even came CLOSE to duplicating his 1984 season, not even CLOSE...and that was just his 2nd season in the league! Bottom line is that both O'Brien and Marino won the same number of Super Bowls: 0. I don't think that would have changed if we had drafted Marino instead of O'Brien in 83.

SOJAZ, hornblower and The Dark Knight like this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Thank you! I just felt the need to write it because it is true. It has been a terrible year to be a Jets fan (terrible year either way), but I really do think it is about to change and a lot positives are around the corner.
    Yeah, agreed! The key is definitely Douglas and I believe he will make the right decisions. The Jets have to earn the respect of the rest of the league and media back, and I think they can.
    Those are great statistics to see. The defense may be closer than we think to being a solid unit.
    Yeah, that thought definitely warms my heart around the holiday season too! :)
    That would be an amazing turn of events! I agree, he looks pretty good. We will see what Joe Douglas and the new coaching staff thinks of him, but I am on board.
    Yep, The most important piece of the off-season puzzle is the first one that has to be solved. The Jets need to hire the right guy. If they do, the rest will work itself out and the Jets will be a good team again.

3. The Dark Knight

Marcus Maye just won the 2020 Team MVP award. I think he deserves it and needs to be re-signed in the off-season. He can be part of the bright future. Not sure what a fair contract would be though.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree that things are looking up for the Jets. I've thought that way since the day Joe Douglas was hired. I truly believe that he is going to turn this franchise around and lead us to the Promised Land. I believe that we have better talent than most believe. We definitely have holes and depth issues, but I believe Adam Gase, his system, his failure to adapt his system to the players, his inability to make adjustments in games, and his personality and coaching style have created more problems than the lack of talent. In Q. Williams, Fatukasi, Franklin-Myers, Hall, Huff, and perhaps Guidry and a few others, we have a good young core on D. If Maye and Hewitt are back and Mosley actually returns and is able to play anywhere near his previous level, we could have a pretty good D next year even with no changes. Add in an Edge or a #1 CB, and it will be even better. The offense is still where we are lacking. Becton, McGovern, and Mims are an excellent start. I think Johnson and Adams at RB provide very good depth and energy for a RB by committee approach, but we need a quality starter. If Herndon can find himself and stay healthy, we could be OK at TE, but think we need to add an upgrade there, and we need to seriously upgrade our OGs, add a couple more WRs, and of course, find a new QB.

I wouldn't say that Clemson can out-talent every other team in the country. Most perhaps, but Alabama, Georgia, Ohio St., and maybe Indiana and 1-2 other schools are right there with them. It's also not certain that Lawrence won't be our QB next year, although that will probably be the case. Wilson could prove to be a great QB and ample compensation for missing out on Lawrence.

#24 NCJetsfan, Dec 24, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    dmw and BudJet like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

That's totally what we need! Spot on. I would add a HC who actually "coaches" on the sideline during the game and is involved when the other unit than the one he previously coached is on the field. I know those are novel concepts for the Jets, but still...

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  6. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

HAHAHA You sound just like I did back in the day. I HATED Marino, Shula, the Dolphins, and their fans.

There are a lot of what ifs.....I think the Jets drafted O’Brien partly because they weren’t aware yet that they were leaving Shea Stadium. O’Brien was considered a little more cerebral and more of the type of QB who wouldn’t have to depend on slinging balls through those crazy winds in November and December. Plus there were those drug rumors about Marino. 24 other teams passed on him as well.

As I have aged however, I have reconsidered some personal thoughts about Marino. Had the Jets drafted him I would of loved him and so would everybody in this board. Overrated? Nah. I will say in all honesty that while he didn’t win a SB the Dolphins turned into a pile of garbage shortly after he was drafted. They blew many many years by drafting horribly. (Sound familiar ?) I think Elway, Montana, and Favre were overall better QBs than Marino - Elway could scramble, Montana was a slightly better leader, and Favre just had the IT factor. However Marino does belong in HOF based on his stats. While I think it’s hilarious he never won a SB it wasn’t all his fault.

7. NCJetsfan

I think they need a HC with more than just a plan. Gase supposedly had a plan. IMO we need a HC with the attributes that MoWilkBeast mentioned, and one who actually coaches on the sidelines during the games, and is involved with, coaches every unit of the team. We need a HC who is flexible, who will adapt his system to fit the talents of the players the Jets have, not some idealized, perfect team. We need a HC who is not only capable of, but who actually makes good adjustments during game as needed.

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Again, Marino was used as an example of a different path taken resulting quite possibly in a different future. Same for Manning.

9. patleahy

Mr.Jet80, please don't misinterpret what I was saying. Of course Marino is a HOF QB....I don't dispute that at all. HOWEVER< I would class him with a guy like Dan Fouts....HOF QB? sure. but DEF NOT one of the "BEST OF THE BEST to ever play the game." no way would I put Marino with a Montana OR a Young OR a Brady OR an Elway. That is what I was saying. Even accounting for playing in a different era, Marino was pretty haphazard with the ball and threw way more INTs than anyone realizes. Furthermore, I believe that regardless of what Marino's backers in the media would have u believe he DID have talent on many of those Phins teams. He also had a HOF head coach. I think that for all of those reasons, it is reasonable to believe that if we had drafted him, we wouldn't have fared any better with ihm than the Phins did over the course of his career. Some good years, some mediocre years, some not so good years and zero super bowl titles. I think it is kind of ridiculous when the media and casual fans (not you) act as if "OH man the Jets REALLY BLEW IT! if they had just drafted Marino they would have won the Super Bowl at least once...probably more than that!" No, not really, lol. That is what I was saying.

NCJetsfan and mrjet80 like this.
  10. patleahy

I can respect that Cman. I wasn't attacking you or your post. I was just stating that I think the whole "Jets BLEW IT BIG-TIME" angle regarding not drafting Marino is really overblown. That's all.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

That narrative will outlive the both of us Pat.. :)

patleahy likes this.
  12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Seeing Is believing..

But thanks Dark Knight for the sentiments :)

The Dark Knight likes this.
  13. patleahy

haha you can say that again, Cman.

Cman68 likes this.
  14. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Oh I know what you’re saying - exactly. And I agree 100%. He’s a HOF but not the greatest. What I’m saying is it took me decades to Get through my hate of him and admit it to myself LOL

dmw and patleahy like this.
  15. patleahy

haha I hear you, MrJet. When I was a kid I used to hate Montana bc the 49ers "won all the time" and it really pissed me off, lol.

16. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

It wouldn’t surprise me if the Jags beat the Bears at home...

The Dark Knight likes this.
  17. The Dark Knight

Agreed, but the potential for success is there. It is not all dark and gloomy. The potential for mistakes and failure is there too, but nothing like we have seen the last couple years.

It would definitely surprise me. The Jaguars have been playing to lose for awhile. I honestly thought the Jets were too, but apparently they are just bad.

18. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Don't expect Minshew magic, they decided to go with Glennon vs. Bears.

19. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Glennon has been on the cusp of leading them to 3 victories this season and the point spread hasn't changed since they announced Glennon. Doubt it as big of a difference as we think.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Some call Marino's fake spike 'brilliant'. Actually, it was a low blow. Marino took advantage of teams that back off under certain situations (a gentleman's handshake). Spiking the ball is one of them. Victory formation is another. Occasionally we see d-lineman blast the o-line that's lined up for a victory formation. And they're roundly criticized for it. They violated an unspoken handshake. Marino did the same thing when he called for a spike to stop the clock, then when the defense backed off, he took advantage of that and threw a TD. For this reason alone, I hope Marino rots in hell and the NFL rescinds their 2005 HOF offer. I'm so glad we never drafted that drug addicted piece of shit. There.

ukjetsfan likes this.