The 2021 Jets and Beyond have a Bright Future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 23, 2020.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Sunday night was a terrible feeling for most Jets fans. They defeated the Los Angeles Rams 23-20, and by doing so, handed the #1 overall pick and Trevor Lawrence to the Jacksonville Jaguars. It was a tough pill to swallow.

Since then, I somehow have been filled with optimism. The 2020 season was terrible. It will likely go down as the worst season we have ever had to experience as fans of this Green and White team. I mean the thread title though, because the future looks really good.

First of all, Adam Gase will be gone in 12 days. That will be a wonderful feeling to rid ourselves of this Head Coach who has done nothing but hold back the franchise and the players.

After that, Joe Douglas and the owners will start their search for a new Head Coach, who will undoubtedly be a huge upgrade over Adam Gase and Todd Bowles combined, because it is hard to do worse.

Once he is chosen, the Jets will begin to make plans for the off-season. They have plenty of cap space to make a couple Free Agent splashes, which should excite the fan base.

Then the NFL Draft will be here. The Jets have 5 picks in the Top 90 and will likely have the #2 overall pick. Losing out on Trevor Lawrence is unfortunate, but the Jets will have plenty of options like QB's Zach Wilson or Justin Fields. The combine and private workouts will likely determine the direction they go. They also will have to decide what to do with Sam Darnold. They could even keep him and use all 5 picks to build around him. We don't know.

They have some nice pieces on the roster already with Mecki Becton, Quinnen Williams, Denzel Mims, Jamison Crowder, CJ Mosley, Marcus Maye (if he is re-signed and he should be), Connor McGovern, Braden Mann and many other young talents that a new Head Coach may be able to get more out of than Gase did.

If you think of it that way, the 2021 New York Jets will be an exciting team and it will probably be the most fun season we will have as fans since 2015.

Joe Douglas has a lot of big decisions to make in the upcoming months, but I think the Jets are headed in the right direction. It felt really dark on Sunday night, but today I am starting to see the light again.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Great post! It's nice to see some positivity rather than all the negativity, gnashing of teeth, and crazy conspiracy theories.

3. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

I want a coach who can SMILE every now and then. :D:D:D

The Dark Knight likes this.
  4. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

lol so in other words, at least SOME of you guys are finally coming around to my line of thinking, as articulated in my "Day After POSITIVES" thread. Glad to see it! Regardless of whether or not we get TL (who I steadfastly believe is OVERRATED-Wilson is the better QB), the future IS looking bright for the Jets. Glad to see that at least some of you guys have backed away from the ledge!!!

dmw and The Dark Knight like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

I was never anywhere near the ledge, nor was either The Dark Knight or JetsKickAss.

hornblower and Brook! like this.
  6. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Well.....sometimes it takes a couple of days to get over a tough loss or in this case a tough win......I certainly understand folks being upset about potentially losing a chance to draft TL. But having #2 does open more possibilities for draft day and I personally have faith in JD and his decisions....

7. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Glad people are getting out from under the talk show and media nonsense about the downside of winning a game. The second pick can bring players this year like a second and third with a least a first next year giving them three in round one. Any GM with big cap space, a young QB and multiple picks can see a future with all kinds of top talent. Can't wait to see what Joe Douglas does with all the options.

The Dark Knight and patleahy like this.
  8. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

CBD is wonderful stuff.

9. NCJetsfan

10. patleahy

I know JetsKickAss was never on the ledge. In fact, he was one of the people who liked my "Day After Positives" thread. He actually posted in this thread as I was posting, so I didn't even see his response until I had already posted mine. Nevertheless, I am glad to see more positivity on this board. Too many people were treating TL as a savior before he even took an NFL snap. It is pretty easy to look like an all-world QB when u play on a team that can literally OUT TALENT every other team i the country. Let's see how he does when he is playing on the Jags next year before we, (channeling the late great Denny Green) "crown his ass." Things are definitely looking up for the Jets. Let's not lose sight of that fact just because some long-haired kid from Clemson isn't going to be our QB next year.

dmw likes this.
  11. patleahy

well-said, hornblower. I agree 100%.

hornblower likes this.
  12. patleahy

I agree, Mr.Jet80. Personally, I have been a fan of yours for some time now. I always value your opinion, and I respect your knowledge of the 1980's NY Jets teams.

mrjet80 likes this.
  13. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Much appreciated ......I grew up with the a Jets in the 80s......in fact I remember more about Jets games in those years Than more recent times.....a lot better memories.

dmw and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. patleahy

I am a child of the 1980's as well, Mr.Jet, which is one reason why your posts resonate with me. My first Jet memories are of Joe Walton, Klecko, Gastineau, Toon, Kenny O'Brien, Freeman McNeil, Wesley Walker, et. al.

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I want a coach who shows some emotion on the sideline. Who enjoys his players' successes, berates the officials when deserved, and calls out his players when they fuck up too. Not an over the top buddy, a la Rex, but a guy who holds people responsible and can inspire his players in every way.

SOJAZ, Brook! and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

You had me at adam gase will be gone in 12 days

themorey, ukjetsfan, SOJAZ and 3 others like this.
  18. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I feel better now that I've seen Zach Wilson play, I see alot of Pat Mahomes there, we may have won for Wilson!

19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Time will tell exactly what future this franchise will have. Decisions have to be made and they have to be the right ones. The Ownership has to stay out of the process and we know they won't because they just can't not be involved. Futures usually depend on how timelines develop. As an example, if Peyton Manning comes out in 1997 and plays for the Jets... Or the Jets draft Dan Marino instead of Ken O'Brien. Fast forward to today.. What happens with the #2 pick and all the other picks? Who gets signed as HC, FA and so on. Its quite possible for the Jets to become relevant really quick. Its also possible for the opposite outcome as there are no guarantees other than the results of bad decision making.

Gase will be fired WHEN Gase is actually fired and not before. Wishful thinking won't make that happen. Part of those timelines I was referring to.

Basically, things can go either way. It's always a choice to have faith and think happy thoughts. Its my choice to see what actually happens. Only Time will tell how things unfold.

Or as they say in Missouri: "Show Me.."

20. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

The Jets really need a HC with a plan. That's all.