Plan B

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RedRoute1, Dec 20, 2020.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I don't hold it against any of the players for trying to win.

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I doubt anyone would admit to that now but it is certainly what many have been pulling for here for months.

Red Menace likes this.
  3. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

i don’t know a number of draft picks and maybe a player....Fields will be very good with the right coaching staff

I don’t even mind Darnold but he’s not good enough to warrant the contract he will likely demand

4. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Every year there are plenty of teams looking to trade down. Easier said than done. Anyway, a lot can happen between now and the draft.

Red Menace and Jets81 like this.
  5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Darnold is the same QB with the Jets that he was at USC. He's turnover prone and he doesn't have great field vision. However he doesn't quit and he's mobile and he does have the arm to make the 15 yard outs and the slants across the middle. The reason he throws so many picks on those routes is that he's fearless about throwing into tight windows. That's a good thing if you have great field vision and a very tight system that you and your receivers both know inside out.

Unfortunately the difference between Darnold at USC and Darnold with the Jets is that USC almost always had the better set of players on the field in any given game. The Jets almost always have the worse set.

At the NFL level you're rarely going to have a clear personnel advantage the way the top college programs do. The talent scouting and the coaching at the NFL level means that even on a good team you will be playing with the narrowest of talent advantages in most of your games and in all of the ones that really matter. So a USC QB is almost guaranteed to be worse at the NFL level because they are playing with the best in college and they will rarely have that opportunity in the pros.

Darnold could develop into a good NFL QB but he is going to have to do it as the most talented player in his offense, raising the level of other players around him in the process. That's a very tall order and with the Jets it seems unlikely.

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

What would it cost? Both of Seattle's 1st Round picks, Next year's 1st Round Pick and this year's #2 overall pick just to move up 1 spot? The Jets' roster is not in a position to do that unfortunately. I am not even sure if that is enough anyway.

stinkyB and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

The Jets should trade the second pick and move down to get more draft picks. Fields is a coin flip on if he succeeds so we ae better off just staying with Darnold. As the Bills showed us that coaching does matte. Look how Josh Allen has floureshed under the coaching of Ken Dorsey dramtically improved not only the decision making of Allen but his accuracy.

8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I think this logic is even more true for Ohio State. They have a dominant OL and run game and typically good defenses.

it’s why OSU doesn’t develop NFL QBs and it’s why Fields is NOT 1b to Lawrence’s 1a. He’s not even close, and all the bullshit talk about him being that is just that...it’s not reality.

personally, I don’t think Fields will be a great NFL QB. He’s made plays when he had a ton of time and wide open receivers, which won’t be the case on most NFL teams and certainly not on our team.

I just don’t see it....he’s an athlete, but he’s not a great QB. And he’s not as fast and elusive as Lamar Jackson...who also isn’t a great QB but he is SO fast and SO athletic that teams overplay that and open up some throws for him. Also, he went to a perennially great team with a great coaching staff who knew how to maximize his play. He would not have succeeded nearly as well had we drafted him.

so if we end up picking second, I’d try to talk up Fields and see who bites and look to trade down.

it sucks that we can’t even suck correctly...we had a great QB waiting for us and we can’t even pull that off....I don’t think Jacksonville is winning another game, and it’s also not out of the picture that we maybe beat NE...so we’ll see where we land....

#48 Jets79, Dec 21, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    REVISion and Br4d like this.
  9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I remember when we gave up a whopping three second round picks to move up three lousy spots for Darnold and just knowing it was a bad idea.

Now you want to give up all of that to move up one spot?

Stop drinking the cool aid and think about how this team can get a good QB, build him an offensive line, get him weapons, and have any kind of a defense.

QB is one of the toughest positions to evaluate.

At least half of the time they get it wrong.

Tom Brady, Kyle Wilson, Drew Brees, and many other QBs got nowhere near the # 1 pick.

Red Menace likes this.
  10. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

One game doesn't change 3 years of mediocrity, congrats on breaking 200 yds

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Ummmm...Kyle Wilson? :)

Pepsiguy5 and Red Menace like this.
  12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Kinda like kissing your cousin.. Doesn't really count unless you live in WVa.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  13. matt robinson 17

Finally broke 200 yds....while every QB in the NFL throws for 300 on a weekly basis

boozer32, REVISion and Red Menace like this.
  14. matt robinson 17

Only the Jets could screw this up, thanks alot to the Rams who should have worn Jets uniforms. ...the worst for me is Braden Mann, my favorite Jet cost us Trevor Lawrence

jonnyd likes this.
  15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Did you not see Fields at the weekend?

He was worse than awful, he has blown a top ten pick IMO, he really was that bad.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  16. K'OB

What did he do?

I had to go to bed at half time, I stopped watching and was randomly looking at this board when I kept waking up.

17. K'OB

If we let Sam test FA can we then sign him back on 10-15m for example, rather than activate this 5th-year option at 25m which he doesn't deserve?

18. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I am not going to lose any sleep not getting Trevor Lawrence or if we get 2nd or 3rd pick. As any GM does they look at all the options and not get fixated on one thing. It s time to move on, and still lot of good can happen with good draft in the next two years. Whoever is our QB whether they ride with Darnold or acquire a veteran QB like Tannehill is doing for Titans, or get a solid QB in later round like Hebert, Douglas is going to have to have a decent draft. Relax Jet fans it is what it is. Let’s hope we get lucky and produce some great FA pickups and draft (for crying out loud without Gase).

19. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Put me in the camp for trading down and gathering picks. Build a wall in front of Sam, more weapons, an ER.

stinkyB and Cman68 like this.
  20. matt robinson 17

Rams PR was running for a TD that would have won the game and he made an open field tackle, then the Rams choked

NCJetsfan and K'OB like this.