We are the laughtinstock of entire NFL fan bases

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We grew up in the same generation as Jets fans. We watched probably the best decade of Jets football. It feels far away but we're not the Lions or the Browns. The franchise has been capable (even if disappointing) over the past 25 years.

A great coaching hire, a new philosophy, a lot of high draft picks and owners that stay out of the decisions and the franchise can turn around. The 49ers and Rams did it. The Browns are starting to do it. The Raiders are respectable again after a decade+ of disaster.

It's not impossible.

2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

But without above average QB play, the best we can hope for is 2009 and 2010.

REVISion likes this.
  3. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

But does WOODY like him ????

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

If it’s not TL I would not take a QB in this upcoming draft. Build the team - if Darnold shows no improvement under a new staff and better skill makers then JD needs a plan B for QB going into 2022.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I hope this loss gets their "genius" HC fired and their QB cut. I never thought that QB was worth a damn anyway.

K'OB, Yankjetfan and Snoopdogg like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You're operating under the assumption that the only way to get good quarterback play is Trevor Lawrence. Which isn't the case.

The Jets also had horrible quarterback play in both those seasons. Even though Sanchez was serviceable in the playoffs, if we had say Stafford, Derek Carr, Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins we probably go to the SB and have more sustained success thereafter. And those are considered middle of the pack quarterbacks. Two of those players were found after the first rounds concluded.

7. Terminated117

Terminated117 Active Member

Let’s just keep it real, we’ve always been the laughingstock, but this win (more like “L”) just dumped us down into the “Oooh..Bless your heart” category

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Since 2011, the Jets have been the worst team in football, worse than the Lions and even the Browns, considering the Browns have finally turned it around.

Regarding coaching, good luck getting anyone good to take this job without Lawrence attached to it. Regarding philosophy, not with these owners and probably Douglas too. Regarding draft picks, ain't gonna matter without good people running the show. And regarding the owners, lol.

9. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

Is this the first time when both head coaches in a game should be fired because of their performance in the same game? ;)

K'OB and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

I get it that everyone is disappointed. No one is more disappointed than I am, but please stop with that stupid nonsense. It truly is ridiculous for you guys to keep spouting that BS. You're making yourselves sound like irrational little girls, and you should be embarrassed to post shit like that.

The only way that would happen is if Gase is back and Douglas resigns or if the Johnsons insist on hiring the next HC. There is no franchise curse on QBs. The reason we have had so many QBs fail is because we have had awful HCs/OCs/GMs in the past that couldn't draft the right QBs, coach, or develop the QBs that were drafted. That stems back to the stupidity of our owners. We have at a bare minimum a competent GM now. If he gets to hire the next HC, I have every confidence that we'll get much better QB play in the future. If the Johnsons make the hire, then all bets are off, but at least the QB will have a fighting chance because if Douglas stays, he will fix the OL and build a solid team. Of that I am certain.

#90 NCJetsfan, Dec 20, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    gajetsfan, REVISion and jets_fan like this.
  11. HomeoftheJets

Lol.

12. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Douglas is the only thing keeping me from just chucking what's left of my Jets apparel in the bin and moving on (already done it with some of it over the past couple of years, I'll admit).

We do seem to have a GM that knows what he's doing for the first time in at least a couple of decades. The problem is that he's surrounded by such incompetence that it's bound to corrupt him at some point. I've often said that I'd like to run a scientific experiment and have a really smart person take an IQ test in a location of their choosing and then take that same test at the Jets facility and see what the difference in the scores would be. Seems like, no matter how smart or qualified a person is, the moment they come to the Jets, they turn into an idiot.

13. HomeoftheJets

Dude agreed to share power with Gase for up to 6 years, put together a 1-13 roster, and did nothing to ensure we get Lawrence. He has no idea what he's doing.

Boomboom likes this.
  14. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Well you're assuming a lot from this franchise if you dont think either Johnson will have a very big say in the hire. Of course there are reasons why we haven't developed QBs, but as you said unless major changes happen it will be back to same BS. There is no indication that any of that will be happening unless the Johnsons say so.

15. NCJetsfan

I understand, but Douglas may think that there are some other QBs with potential. Even if he signs a vet QB to start and Morgan is the backup, we'll still need a #3 QB. Maybe Wilson, Lance, Jones of Alabama or some other QB will be worth taking with one of our picks, especially if we trade down from #2. Hopefully, it won't come to that. Hopefully, Jacksonville will beat the Bears since they're out of the running for a playoff spot. I'll trust which ever way Douglas decides to go. If we don't get Lawrence, the road definitely won't be as easy or quick back to respectability and winning, but it can still happen.

16. NCJetsfan

By all appearances, we do have good people running the draft.

17. HomeoftheJets

Drafting Becton and Mims is a good start, but my gosh, we're talking about a guy who agreed to share power with Adam Gase and put together this roster with no intention of tanking. That's what makes this win doubly horrifying: we almost certainly lost Lawrence, and this roster wasn't a product of an intentional tank job after all.

18. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

He has one solid draft under his belt that has netted us several players who look like they'll contribute for years to come, including landing one of the biggest prizes you can have short of a franchise QB in a stud LT to protect the blind side. He's done what the other GMs should have done when they began their "rebuilds", which is to completely tear the thing down. What his predecessors did with their "competitive rebuilds" was half-baked at best and was guaranteed to fail before the process even began.

There's also this. If we fire Douglas, a guy who is as respected across the league as he is, after only one draft and only one season of true control over things, then we'll never get a quality candidate in for an interview ever again. Our only option will the Maccagnans and Idziks of the world because anyone worth their salt won't even consent to an interview, let alone actually take the job.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

What is so funny about that? Don't tell me that you still stupidly think that Douglas should be fired? If so, grow up.

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This win is not the end of the world, as disappointing as it might be.

First, the Jets are still in the running for the #1 pick, The odds aren't in their favor, but you never know.

Second, the fact that they beat a good team, on the road, on the West Coast, and that Darnold showed some ability, along with excellent performances by Becton and Q and a few others, is a good thing no matter what.

Third, the only thing that can make today into a terrible thing is if it convinces the Johnson Clowns to retain Gase. THAT, would be a cataclysm.

Snoopdogg, MoWilkBeast and K'OB like this.