Plan B

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RedRoute1, Dec 20, 2020.

1. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

So this is still pretty damn raw, but looking at this practically I think we need to prepare for life with Sam Darnold. While there's still 3 weeks left and anything can happen, the chances of the Jets over taking the Jags for the #1 pick are pretty bleak. I'm not excited about saying that but that's the reality.

Keeping with reality, I think what we're facing is life with Sam. With a top 3 pick locked in, yet one that doesn't likely include drafting #1 overall, I don't think we're drafting a QB and would not advocate for drafting a non TL QB with that pick. I think our best bet is rebuilding Darnold and that means hiring the correct Head Coach and correct coaching staff to make him better. Let's face it, Gase has ruined him but I'm still a Sam believer...certainly a believer in him over and above our non-TL options in this draft or at least with a high round draft pick.

Let's look at this practically...Daronld's only 23, ruined by the Jets (he was better when he came into the league than he is now), and hope other A-list coaches feel the same way in that an A-list coach might see the diamond in the rough here. Could be wishful thinking but at this point it seems more realistic than thinking the Jets will over take the Jags for TL.

twown, SOJAZ, WoodyHarrelson and 6 others like this.
  2. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

It's way too early to be happy but bookend Sewell with Mekhi and that's a good start.

blackssmagic, SOJAZ, boozer32 and 5 others like this.
  3. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I think we still need to look at trading Darnold. We can't pay a guy like him the $20-30 million a year that we'll have to just secure his middle-of-the-road talents after the last year of his contract is up.

Trade the #2 pick to some team that forces themselves to fall in love with Fields and trade Darnold. Trade a middle-round pick for a veteran QB to come in here and use all of those other picks to just build up the rest of the team .

4. Jets007

Jets007 Well-Known Member

Darnold is not the answer for the JETS! Why did they win this game? You've been laughing stock for this league, now you add stupidity on top of it. WTF

cval, amuck57, REVISion and 1 other person like this.
  5. Boomboom

Boomboom Active Member

Sam Darnold can go fuck off

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

6. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

on the bright side, our punter is totally badass.

7. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

As down as I've been on Sam, I wanted him gone regardless as of late. Now that we are sitting at 2, I believe we need to either draft the tackle from Oregon or trade down. I know Wentz has looked bad as of late but I'd be open to trading for him possibly. Remember, he has a terrible line in Philly. Our line could be one of the best in the leauge if we add the Oregon stud and another big Guard in Free agency. Just thoughts, but if we do go with Sam then at least sure up the line and get Robinson in free agency

8. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Darnold played a great game today, but that does not make him the answer to bringing this franchise back to prosperity. Jets should draft Fields and move Darnold. Simple as that.

9. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Field sucks, he's the next Turner Gill or Scot Frost.

10. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

What pisses me off is that now that his job is safe, Darnold will return to his shit self. This wouldn’t be so bad if Sam was ballin all year and just being let down by his teammates, then we’d be happy with just a top 5 pick to get him some weapons. The fact he sucks balls AND now cost us a chance at a true franchise QB makes me despise his presence on this team.

nyjrkm06 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  11. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I liked Fields as a person having watched him on QB1 but the more I look into it the less convinced I am - trade for Stafford, build the line, get some decent receivers and look for a another QB prospect to develop

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  12. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Can Sams final year get restructured?

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Whether Darnold stays or goes will be proven over the next few games. Was today a flash in the pan, or can Sam duplicate this effort? I'm doubtful of the latter, but if he can he's worth keeping - with a competent CS.

That said, they haven't actually lost the Trevor Sweepstakes yet. He's still in play.

If they don't get the #1 though, I'm betting JD trades back for more premium picks. Whether he can get a QB he likes, IDK. I still like Z. Wilson and he might be a possibility. Add some more weapons - I'd love to get Nagee too, but doubt they can get him unless they take him with their first pick - and a new CS and there might be hope.

SOJAZ and boozer32 like this.
  14. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Sam is younger than Joe Burrows - just 23 + under contract through next year with an option for the jets to pickup a 5th year.

He’s not going anywhere now...

You get Sewell and Najee Harris (or Travis Etiene) + another WR (or TE) and Darnold can succeed next year.

15. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Convince the Jags to trade us 1 overall and give them whatever they want

16. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

I don’t think we need to have this discussion until the season is over. What’s the best scenario for the colts to sit their starters.

boozer32 likes this.
  17. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

Najee Harris is a stud. I am all in on drafting Sewell and adding a top guard in free agency. We are now looking at a top 5 offensive line.

18. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

What another year of Flacco? No thanks.

Red Menace, papapump and SOJAZ like this.
  19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Don't blame Sam for this game. The Rams were flat and looked like the west coast version of the Jets today. Namath could have beat the Rams today.

20. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

We're going to have to have someone come in for a year or two as a stopgap until there's a QB worth drafting or a better option in free agency. I wouldn't bring Flacco back to be the starter, but maybe trade a low-end pick for a guy like Mariota (who looked decent Thursday night) to come and hold the fort for a bit while we use the rest of these picks to build up the rest of the roster. Then draft a QB and bring him into an already built team that can help him flourish.