We are the laughtinstock of entire NFL fan bases

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Dec 20, 2020.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Not the same thing, it sucked in 2014 that we'd played ourselves out of being able to draft a first round QB, but Mariota wasn't Lawrence.

REVISion likes this.
  2. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

This win was as useless as scoring a TD when you're down 42-0.

It's actually worse.

I haven't been this aggravated after a Jet game in a long, long time.

On the bright side, maybe Sam will blossom into Peyton Manning after this, and Lawrence will turn out to be Ryan Leaf. I doubt it though. Because - - - Jets.

3. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

Only 10? Be thankful.

AJW likes this.
  4. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

Hey man, don't go down that path. You have a lot of living left to do.

Besides, there aren't too many of us here who can hope to see the Jets win it all again.

Even the healthy 20 year old bucks among us!

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

No. He wasn't. But there are also tons of quarterbacks that aren't drafted #1 that are much better than #1 overall picks.

Darnold was the best rated QB since Luck. And look how that's worked out so far.

Ralebird, fansince90 and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  6. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

Pyrrhic victory (/ˈpɪrɪk/ ( listen) PIRR-ik): a victory that inflicts such a devastating toll on the victor that it is tantamount to defeat.

Winning a Pyrrhic victory takes a heavy toll that negates any true sense of achievement or damages long-term progress.

7. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

It's better to have hope than to have none. I suppose Fields would also qualify as hope.

The thing is, in all the times there have been two QBs at the top of the draft, there have been hits and misses, but I can't recall a single time where the #1 flamed out and the #2 hit. Luck, Winston, even going back to Peyton. In this situation the #2 pick seems strictly worse.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This!

All those Jet 'fans' running outside to dig through the dumpster for their Frank Gore jerseys!

Yankjetfan likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Maybe not in the exact #1/#2 situation. And while unspectacular Goff is still starting and Wentz is on the bench. Trubisky went ahead of Mahomes and Watson. Alex Smith over Rodgers. There's more.

Snoopdogg likes this.
  10. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

If Sam is still the QB next season he is not going to be handing off to Frank Gore - I doubt he’ll even still be in the league let alone the Jets.

I’ll tell you this much - while the TL prospects took a hit the draft order isn’t final yet. And if the Jets do wind up with the #2 and JD gets an offer to trade down - he can make a killing.

Maybe the answer is surrounding Sam with better talent
    LOL

11. HomeoftheJets

There were people who had Darnold as the best rated QB since Luck. There were also people who had Darnold as the 4th best QB in his draft class. Lawrence is on a different level.

REVISion, NCJetsfan and JetsKickAss like this.
  12. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Get over it. The Jets need so much and they can get in the draft and FA. Go Sam.

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I think Gase is back anyway. Chris Johnson loves the guy and JD can't fire him.

alleycat9 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Putting it in simpler terms... "Winning the battle sometimes means you can lose the War.."

RPOZ51 and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

I'm not disputing that. My point is that there are more variables at work that simply getting Lawrence as if we become perennial playoff contenders because of it. I believe strongly in him.

BUT. Not getting him doesn't instantly put us in the gutter for a decade either. This is a rather strong QB class regardless of the fact that everyone thinks Fields is an instant bust because he's had two bad games in his career.

Lance is an interesting prospect. The tape looks good in terms of arm and athleticism. Not too sure about what's in between the ears or how the competition would affect a transition to the NFL.

I don't like Wilson but some people do. No thanks on Trask.

If we finish with the number two pick then the trajectory of what we do will drastically change. Darnold will almost certainly be on the 2021 roster as the likely starter.

Just remember - much of this roster will turnover next year too. We have a ton of free agents, cap space and young players who will be penciled in as starters.

16. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

The Knicks are looking better than the Jets. Jets should fire Gase tomorrow.

17. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

The problem with Sam is he has done nothing in the NFL, in three yrs and he getting toward the end of his rookie contract. To build around him you would need to lock him up, which becomes costly, even if it is a mid to low level qb contract. The guy could be ok but does not have the (IT factor)I could see us taking the Kid out of BYU with 2 nd pick, or Fields. JD has a mess on his hands tonight

REVISion and boozer32 like this.
  18. HomeoftheJets

Sure, there are still plenty of opportunities to turn the Jets around. But you know as well as I do that there's almost zero chance the Jets will turn themselves around. Their only realistic hope was a generational QB prospect who could effectively bail them out and get them to win despite themselves.

19. boozer32

None of that helps the base. They were hot and heavy for Lawrence. Fields is not worthy of the number 2 pick. Jets just need to build up the team around Darnold. No need to throw a lesser QB out there. Might as well play Morgan.

20. boozer32

Play Sam his final year. Draft Wilson that way you got options.

ColoradoContrails likes this.