All I need to know about who to draft in 2021 was summed up today.

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by JetsFan, Dec 19, 2020.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Headline is poor though, it started awful with a pick and then that TD came next series.

2. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

A dime for 67 yds

3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

If Fields is drafted and starts next fall he will be a bust, remember he only has one full college season as a starter. He didn’t play when he was in Georgia, this year was affected by a limited schedule.

His release is not quick, he locks on to main receiver way too long, he doesn’t anticipate receivers being open, he actually waits for receiver to turn around and get open before throwing the ball.

The two games he has played against good defenses his weaknesses have been revealed to the point where it looks like he can’t play the position of QB.

It’s only going to get harder in the NFL, Jets are definitely not the team to help him develop, Fields needs to go back to school and get another full season of college ball on his resume and fine tune his skills.

I believe if he does that he will improve his chances of succeeding as an NFL qb, if he doesn’t it will be a rough rookie experience.

I hope Jets do not draft him.

4. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Im worried Belichek is gonna throw the final game of the season and cost us Trevor.Im hoping that the Jaguars can beat the Bears next week.They have played competitive games with teams with losing records or .500 records.I can easily see Bill not having anything left to play for sitting all the starters.We need to fire Gase after the Browns loss so we can bench Darnold and play the 3rd string qb.

JetsKickAss and Brook! like this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

So here's the elephant in the room.. Can TL play under center, drop back, go thru his reads and make good decisions with the football. Several of us asked this question during the game last night as we didn't see TL drop back once. Maybe we missed it?

#25 Cman68, Dec 20, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  6. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

It looked like he really missed Olave yesterday.. it looked like he didn’t trust his other receivers to make plays especially after the pick near the sideline.

7. K'OB

?

It didn't start with a 67-yard dime though, that is what I was meaning.

ACC CHAMPIONSHIP STARTED good for CLEMSON AS Trevor Lawrence 67-yard DIME to Amari Rodgers

It started with an horrific pick.

Right is right ;)

8. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Does this really matter ? If so, why ?

If you can throw the ball AND see the field, why does it matter if you are lining up under center, in the shotgun, etc. ?

Footballgod214 likes this.
  9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I’ll tell you why it matters, because unless you plan to make a clone of Andy Reid most HC are not as good or creative as him from an offensive perspective.

Someone pointed it out to me yesterday that Pat Mahomes never played under center in college, that’s all fine and good because he went to the Chiefs with one of the best if not the best offensive minded HC in football.

If Jets don’t hire the right guy with the right system to develop TL and insists that he play from under center as opposed to shotgun most of the game you are talking about the possibility that TL has to master a system from scratch, not that he can’t hand the ball off but, timing, 3,5, step drop backs while making reads.

It’s very different and that’s why most college QBs play from the shotgun formation, it eliminates the seconds needed to drop back, you are already in throwing position.

I’m sure TL will learn any system that is used by whom ever Jets hire, we just don’t want to see his progress unnecessarily delayed.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

It does matter to a degree because there's a lot of footwork that goes into dropping back from under center that can affect the throw if it's not something that you're used to doing. It's also a bit more difficult to read the field and to have the precise timing with your receivers when dropping back versus catching the ball from a stationary position and making your reads/throw from there as opposed to being on the move from the snap of the ball. It's not something that's necessarily a dealbreaker, as it can be taught, but it would be one more thing added to Lawrence's plate in his rookie season beyond simply adapting to the NFL and learning a more complicated playbook. If it's not something that he's used to doing, it's something that he should be getting together with one of the guys that NFL QBs go to in the offseason in order to work on their game to help him prepare for that aspect of the game prior to the draft process.

Red Menace and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Just posting that laser throw

12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Just lose baby!!!

13. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Lawrence is the cream of the crop but I wouldn’t just dismiss Fields because of one bad half of football against one of the best defenses in the nation

I still think both have the opportunity to be great pros

JetsKickAss likes this.
  14. K'OB

I understand I was just saying the guy off twitter's headline was misleading, not you.

Man, this turned complicated quickly. :rolleyes:;)

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  15. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

I think final game we should play 3rd string QB, with him the offense will have under 100 yds. This way we will assure loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JetsKickAss likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He would benefit from it. But he's not going to go back. He's a top 5 pick regardless.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

That's a good question. I think in the passing game, it's easier for the QB to take the ball back 5-7 yards versus running backwards. BUT, it hurts the run game. By taking the snap in shotgun, you're forcing ALL running plays to start from 7 yards behind the LOS. But when the QB is under center, the RB can start his run at the snap and the QB only takes a 2-3 step drop b4 handing the ball to a RB who's already running...it's just a split second faster. On short yardage (say 4th and 1) it allows for a QB keeper too. Quick slants usually are from under center where the QB only takes 2-3 steps back and fires the ball. When the QB is closer to the lineman, I think his throwing windows are better for quick slant passes.

That's about all I have! But ya, most college QBs have like zero experience under center.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well I'll say he has better raw tools than Darnold did - better arm, more accurate (although not a sniper), moves/runs much better, BUT...I still say that he's more of a runner than a passer, IOW, a great college QB but not a great pro QB. Does that mean he can't become a good pro QB? No. But he needs a LOT of development and sitting behind a good vet to learn. Coming the Jets whose fans are DESPERATE to win NOW, would crush him. He might get taken in the latter part of the 1st by a team that already has a good QB and can afford to sit him, but he proved yesterday that he's no "1B" to TL's "1A" rating.

19. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

No argument, but Andy Reid didn't have that reputation when he was in Philly, remember ?

Now we hear he's a genius and Eric Bienemmy is the #1 coaching candidate....sorta like how Matt Nagy was 3 years ago, except now Nagy is in trouble in Chicago because Mitch Trubisky isn't Patrick Mahomes.

More and more I'm convinced if it's clothes that make the man....it's the QB that makes the coaches. :D

Gotcha.....

Gotcha.....I do wonder why more teams don't use the shotgun away from 3rd downs.

20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

FWIW, I've seen Mahomes take snaps under center this year. They might be the exception, but he's done it.