Comparing the NCAA Statistical Production of Trevor Lawrence to that of Elway/Manning/Luck:

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I thought you were mad at me and decided to take your talents elsewhere. What happened? :) Welcome back by the way. :)

2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

It’s not easy leaving the GG forum.

Brook! likes this.
  3. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Silly comparison... Lawrence has played on a far better team. I’m not impressed with stats, particularly Lawrence, who throws more low risk screen passes than just about anyone in college.

That’s not to say he doesn’t have an elite arm or can’t make all the throws...

But to be fair, he’s had the luxury of a top 5 college Oline, top WR’s and arguably the best RB in college football....

None of the other guys had that... Lawrence vs Ohio State and LSU is about what these other guys experienced in 25% of their college games...

With that, you gotta take him if he’s there at #1...

4. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

Don’t forget that stats in this age are stupid. The game has been made offensively slanted to the point that Dbacks need to basically be Revis in order to be average. Baker mayfield had the rookie record for touchdowns until it was broken last night. The numbers that mahomes puts up doesn’t make him better than Elway or Montana.

5. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

When I first started studying the numbers in High School in the late-1970's.......only 1 (maybe 2) QB's had passing percentages over 60%......1 QB might have a QB rating over 100.

It was NOTHING like today. Sam Darnold's first 2 years stats would be Top 12'ish.

6. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Baker’s (3 years at Oklahoma) vs Lawrence’s (3 years at Clemson) is a more current + better statistical comparison... well, except it doesn’t fit the narrative, but there’s probably more value in comparing recent #1 Qb’s (like Baker and Burrows) vs old all time greats from different eras...

but then again, Baker and Burrow were better statistically vs Lawrence so there’s that...

7. JetsKickAss

He's not a "good" college QB...he's a SPECTACULAR college QB.

Watch the game today at 4 PM.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

That's what I said earlier....i really want to see Trevor play well in a big game...today and Jan 11. I know he won the championship his fresh year, but he lost last year too.

The NFL gutters are littered with QBs who can win big during the RS, but never got over the hump in big games. I want to see Trevor do great in big games. Starting today!

9. JetsKickAss

Funny, we had a guy in Sanchez who couldn't do well in the regular season but kicked-ass in the playoffs.....on the road....as big underdogs !! :D

Footballgod214 likes this.
  10. DefenseWinsChampionships

Conference Championship Games (when it matters).

Justin Fields: 12/27 (44.4%), 114 passing yards (4.4 yards per pass attempt), 0 TDs/2 INTs along with 12 rushes for 35 rushing yards (2.9 yards per rush attempt). and 0 rushing TDs (QB Rating of 34.2).

Played atrocious against an overmatched #14 Northwestern team.

Trevor Lawrence: 25/36 (69.4%), 322 passing yards (8.3 yards per pass attempt), 2 TD's/1 INT along with 14 rushes for 90 rushing yards (6.4 yards per rush attempt and 1 rushing TD (QB Rating of 157.3).

Absolutely demolished an undefeated (but not anymore) #2 ranked Notre Dame team.

IDFjet and Footballgod214 like this.
  11. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

I’m not saying I would rather have fields, but the coaching matters as well. If we are lucky enough to get TL coaching probably doesn’t matter quite as much as if we get a raw QB. It could make the difference between taking a chance on a joe Brady at 31 years old (crazy) or harbaugh who has whipped subpar QBs into shape.

12. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Holy crap Fields showed he has lots of development ahead if he ever hopes to be a successful NFL QB. That was some ugly sheet.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  13. DefenseWinsChampionships

He's nowhere near 2nd overall pick worthy of I were a team I wouldn't touch him until literally after the 2nd round. He's all Ohio State hype.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Honestly I wouldn't even take him that early--his game does not translate well into the pros. He flashes a little here and there but his pocket presence is below average and his decision making is suspect.

He's also been getting the best training since Jr. HS so I don't see him getting much better. The bulldogs were best to know and they concluded Fromm should start over him and now I see why.

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I bet he goes higher than that though. The hype is too strong. He is better than Geno ever was - and Darnold too - but he's going to need to go to a team that has the time and assets to develop him. And I think he's still too young mentally - he gets rattled and starts scrambling before he needs to, like Darnold does. If given time, he might turn out to be very good, but the odds of that, given the way the rookie contracts are structured creating a "win now" urgency, are really against him.