POLL: If the jets draft Lawerence what do we do with Darnold?

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by GasedAndConfused, Dec 16, 2020.

?

If the jets draft lawerence what do we do with darnold

Poll closed Dec 30, 2020.
  1. 1) Trade him for whatever we can get

78.3%
  2. 2) Keep him as a back-up then let him walk (no option)

3.3%
  3. 3) Keep him as a back-up and option him

6.7%
  4. 4) Start him for 2021 then let him walk

5.0%
  5. 5) Other (post it below)

6.7%
  1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Why are you putting such a high value on Darnold? His statistics are awful and his leadership skills are lacking. He sees ghosts, his mechanics are poor and he can't find a receiver, much less get the ball to one.

Signing a two year contract for about 18 million keeps him in the league with the hope that a new coaching system can resurrect his career by improving his performance and giving him a chance to prove what he can do which would raise his value as a free agent in two years.

You're not really serious about the Jets paying him 25 million or so for the option year, are you?

Snoopdogg likes this.
  2. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

In no way can you draft TL & have Sam remain on the team. Waste of poll options there.

I was thinking this morning, Washington could be a sleeper team for Darnold to land with.

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Drafting Lawrence does not mean we have to throw him to the wolves in game one.

I really want us to go into next season with two solid QBs.

If we do part ways with Darnold we should make obtaining another QB a priority.

Ralebird and ouchy like this.
  4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Bring back Flacco.

apjbfc and Snoopdogg like this.
  5. Terminated117

Terminated117 Active Member

Yeeeeah, you gotta trade and get something for him

6. Ralebird

The Jets way is to trade Darnold away prematurely, get too little for him, find out that you needed him and have him succeed elsewhere.

There should be no hurry to sell short; no harm is done by keeping him here for a year or two

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Rosen was traded after his rookie season. There were still teams who mistakenly thought he'd be good. Sam has been around for three years now, and he still looks like a rookie.

#87 HomeoftheJets, Dec 18, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    Snoopdogg and REVISion like this.
  8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

So the consensus is we trade Sam and his trade value is listed at everything from a low 1 to a high 6.

In other words, we have no clue what his trade value is. :confused:

Snoopdogg and Ralebird like this.
  9. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

It's not a question of whether I value him or not, or whether I want him on the Jets or not. It's a question of his market value to other teams.

It only makes sense for Sam to sign the 18 million deal you propose, if he believes the Jets will not pick up his option and he will be out of the league after next year. But if I were his agent, I would advise him to call the Jets' bluff. If the Jets refuse to pick up his fifth year option, he just needs a team to pay him $12 million in 2022, and he would have come out ahead, meanwhile the Jets get nothing. But more likely, he would get a multi year deal in 2022. To get value for him, the Jets should either trade him before the 2021 league year (thereby allowing the receiving team to exercise that option) or alternatively exercise the option and then trade him.

Darnold has trade value around the league, make no mistake. You think Denver, Detroit (if they trade Stafford), the Panthers, or Chicago, wouldn't be interested? Heck the Patsies would bust our door down to get him, compared to the dreck they are rolling out every week. At least Sam throws for more than 100 yards a game, something that New England seems to be incapable of doing regularly.

10. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

Let's say no consensus on the value, agreed. Although a 6th seems a waste... We would need to spend that pick on a backup AqB.

But we do have consensus that he should be traded. Great!! I'll take the win

#90 Snoopdogg, Dec 18, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  11. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

Somebody will talk themselves into thinking Sam is the next Ryan Tannehill, who had a comparable second year in the league. Or like Baker Mayfield, he just needs the right coach and team to cut his interceptions in half. They will wash out this year as being an aberration.

Delusion is a hell of a drug :)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

Tebow time!!!

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Why on earth would they keep Sam as a backup for 2021 and then sign him to the 5th year option? That makes zero sense. You aren't going to pay $25 million to a backup QB. It also makes no sense to keep him as the starter in 2021, and then just let him walk as a FA and get nothing for him (or at best a late 3rd round compensatory pick, and that's if the Jets don't sign several FAs).

JetsKickAss likes this.
  14. Ralebird

Sam Darnold has not earned his salary any year in his contract except maybe in year one; there is absolutely no way he should expect the Jets to pick up the fifth year option that would cost almost three times what his current salary is. And there is certainly no reason for the Jets to do such a thing.

Your benchmarking a hundred yards of completions per game only illustrates how little is expected of him. Why would anyone pay him twelve million, much less 25?

#94 Ralebird, Dec 18, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm likely keeping Darnold for 2021 unless somebody blows me away with a trade offer - at least a 1st round draft pick in 2021 or 2022.

As to what that means in terms of who starts, well I'll let that work itself out in training camp in 2021. There are lots of good reasons to let Lawrence sit for a bit before he gets on the field. However if he's clearly ready to go there's no reason to keep him off the field. In that case Darnold becomes a backup and likely gets traded at some point during the 2021 season.

Ralebird likes this.
  16. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

I agree, so that leaves a trade or release as the only reasonable options. I'm just saying, he will have a trade market, and he is not likely to sign a bargain basement deal because of that. We will either have to pick up that option and trade him in end 21, or trade him before the option is due.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

The Jets can certainly get a #2 and a #3 (maybe in separate years). I wouldn't be surprised if a draft pick like a #1 is conditional on him playing a certain number of games or signing a new contract with the team.

Sam has value. If he were washed out from Sean Payton or Bruce Arians or Bill Bellichick or Kyle Shanahan or Sean McVay...that'd be one thing.

He's a refugee from Mike MacCagnan and Adam Gase. 'Nuff Said.

18. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

The bigger question is what do we do as fans if they dont fire Gase?

19. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

There's several things why still see and hear from NFL commentators why we can still get a good deal on Sam. A low one or multiple picks.

- he was loved in the draft, and to many was #1 QB 3 years ago, and still has a good opinion in the league
    - he's 23 years old -so young and if he works, have plenty of years to work with.
    - everyone agrees he's not developed, and that's currently viewed as the Jets fault.
    - Coaches like to think they can develop talent and can work with Sam.
    - Adam Gase and the Tannehill effect is real.

Overall I think a lot of league will be interested in a low cost ($) player with upside that has the potential to be a long term option still. I honestly think there will be 10 teams that pays serious interest as they search for their QB of the future.

I think the below teams will call for sure

Car, Atl, Saints, Chi, SF, Wash
    Indy, Pitt,

The big question after the trade - was it just the jets fault?

I'd like Saint/Indy/Pitts first round pick. But I think a 2nd and 3/4 is more likely

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

In the end, who really cares what happens with Darnold? We'll be so ecstatic to get Lawrence! This guy is going to be great!