POLL: If the jets draft Lawerence what do we do with Darnold?

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by GasedAndConfused, Dec 16, 2020.

?

If the jets draft lawerence what do we do with darnold

Poll closed Dec 30, 2020.
  1. 1) Trade him for whatever we can get

78.3%
  2. 2) Keep him as a back-up then let him walk (no option)

3.3%
  3. 3) Keep him as a back-up and option him

6.7%
  4. 4) Start him for 2021 then let him walk

5.0%
  5. 5) Other (post it below)

6.7%
  1. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

And fired Jimmy Johnson 5 years later. :eek:

Moron.........

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No problem and no worries. I wasn't offended.

We're in total agreement that Sam didn't get a fair shot here. I also agree that probably 99% of QBs would have failed with lousy coaching, a shit OL, no running game and no #1 WR.

I bear Sam no ill will. I hope that he will get traded to a team that will give him some time to get straightened out, fix his fundamentals, teach him to read Ds, provide him with a sound OL, and a good offense around him so that he has a chance to succeed. He's talented physically, I'm just not certain that he has the right mind set and instincts.

They can frown all they like. If they're not giving the player what he wants and needs, then too bad. It's his career. He can't sue them for malpractice or for not helping him succeed. During the offseason, a team's CS can't work with or contact players anyway. Sam has been working with Jordan Palmer each offseason since before he was drafted. Palmer is supposedly a very good QB coach. That's why I blame Sam and doubt that he has the right mentality and maybe not even the work ethic if he hasn't learned those things in 3 years working with Palmer and two different coaching staffs with the Jets. Basics are basics, and while there would probably be some differences, much of it would be the same, and should help him in learning what his own CS is supposedly trying to teach him. If his CS with the Jets hasn't tried to teach him those things, then they have no reason or room to complain.

In terms of where does a 22 year old second-year player go to learn such things? There are a number of former players who have set themselves up as private coaches. After Becton's season ended with Lousiville last year, he worked with Duke Manyweather to prepare for the draft and for his rookie season, who is a known and very respected OL coach. I don't know that there's a directory of such coaches, but certainly there is word of mouth among players, and the league office might even have a list of those coaches that they certify or something. I'm certain also that collegiate programs/HCs know of coaches that players can work with to prepare for the draft or to get ready for their rookie season. A number of collegiate players who are considered top 50 picks in the 2021 draft opted out of this collegiate season due to covid and are working with private coaches getting ready for Pro Day, the Combine and their rookie seasons. Players know who those coaches are.

JetsKickAss and jetstopgun like this.
  3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I hope so. He deserves it. Breaks my heart too. It's probably the most disappointing moment in my Jets fandom and I have been disappointed a lot. Sam deserves so much better.

jetstopgun, JetsKickAss and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

thats a huge narrative that doesn't happen often. elway, eli and peyton. that was it in the past 40+ years it's just clickbait stuff

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

herbert wasn't really a late riser though. he entered in the season at a late 1st rounder and finished as a late 1st rounder and was good all 4 years in college. he just got drafted higher then expected but he was never considered a top 10 pick

JetsKickAss likes this.
  6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

If we take Lawrence, I feel confident that JD would trade Sam for best pick available. He's seen first-hand what not building a capable offense around a young, talented QB can do to said QB. I don't think he'll make that mistake with whatever QB we end up taking (hopefully Lawrence).

apjbfc, Snoopdogg, jetstopgun and 5 others like this.
  7. JetsKickAss

Weeks before the draft it was expected he was going no lower than 6th. Only question was would Miami take him or Tua.

8. JetsKickAss

Best pick available....BUT.....if he has 2 offers and the slightly-worse offer is a place that Sam prefers and is better for him, trade him there.

We owe it to him.

jetstopgun and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

he wasn't ranked that high though. people just felt mia or LAC would reach for a QB. same with mahomes he was supposed to be a late 1st rounder. the chiefs traded up and grabbed him 10th overall. herbert was never ranked as a top 10 player

10. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I remember this one respected QB analyst saying before the 2018 draft that no QB fails on his own, it takes a team. Normally, I would declare that we don't need to draft another QB. I agree with many on the board that Sam got a raw deal here, but I do think he has the tools and talent to be a very good QB. That said, you don't pass up an opportunity to draft a possible generational QB like Lawrence. Nevertheless, if Lawrence isn't in the wings, I wouldn't draft any other QB. I would use the high picks to draft an offensive weapon or two. As @NCJetsfan said 99% of QB's would fail in the same situation, so barring Lawrence, I would stop the QB parade here and get some weapons on this team.

11. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Sam is an asset and a very expensive one at that.

We can trade him at the end of the season, during the next draft, in preseason, or next year's trade deadline.

Let other teams come to us and only deal him when we are getting something better in return.

If Lawrence gets dinged up and misses any time we shouldn't rely on scrubs to back him up.

Patience is how we win this one.

If we act desperate we will get next to nothing.

apjbfc and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

And how many CS's are stupid enough to mic up their sophomore QB fresh back off mono to play a good Bellichick Defense? I'm betting none. And no, no QB has openly admitted they were seeing ghosts before, probably because no other franchise has mic'ed up their young QB in this situation before. Just another massive example of the Jets organization f***ing development up.

13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

We aren't getting much for Sam regardless, he's worse than Flacco.

14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

One of the worst games we have ever had to watch (and that is saying a lot) was the Patriots realizing they could all out blitz us every play and we'd never be able to move the ball. Man that was a nightmare.

MoWilkBeast and JetsKickAss like this.
  15. JetsKickAss

That really was bizarre..........I was at that game, BTW. Our bus to MetLife was 80% Patriots fans.:mad:

ouchy and MoWilkBeast like this.
  16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You keep your options open. The best way to do this is to sign him to a new two year contract at the end of the season which would basically extend his rookie contract for a year without making the expensive commitment of picking up the option year. This would save something like 15 - 20 million dollars over the same two year period. Throw in some incentives to make it easier for him. It also puts the team in a better position of cutting him, if necessary.

Assuming there is a whole new coaching staff you need to include the best QB guy with a proven history of developing quarterbacks - you will want him for Lawrence/Fields anyway. And then you just let them all work. There would be no hurry to rush a trade and circumstances may dictate that Darnold is needed here; if not you have two years to trade him, hopefully increasing his value along the way. This team's not going to soar in one year regardless of a new coach or quarterback - extra draft choices may be more valuable in 2022 than in 2021 especially in spreading out new rookie contracts.

17. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

That's the spirit!

18. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Nope will never give that cheater/weasel credit for anything. He didn't get it done in Cleveland. Jerry Jones cleaned house upon buying the Cowboys. Landry never worked for Jerry Jones.

19. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

No way Sam signs that contract. All he had to do is wait one year to either become a FA or get his fifth year option picked up. And the Jets will have to pick up that option, because Sam's trade value is higher than the risk they would have to pay him.

20. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

Of course we will. Josh Rosen was traded for a 2 and a 5, and he's demonstrably worse than Sam in every way.

You underestimate the terrible state of quarterbacking in the league.

ColoradoContrails likes this.