POLL: If the jets draft Lawerence what do we do with Darnold?

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by GasedAndConfused, Dec 16, 2020.

?

If the jets draft lawerence what do we do with darnold

Poll closed Dec 30, 2020.
  1. 1) Trade him for whatever we can get

78.3%
  2. 2) Keep him as a back-up then let him walk (no option)

3.3%
  3. 3) Keep him as a back-up and option him

6.7%
  4. 4) Start him for 2021 then let him walk

5.0%
  5. 5) Other (post it below)

6.7%
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

While the Jets have done everything wrong with Sam, there are no guarantees that he would have been a whole lot better if the Jets had done everything perfectly. Sam has to accept a lot of the blame. I've never heard any other QB say out loud that he was seeing ghosts. That spoke volumes to me about Sam not having the right toughness and mental capacity to be a great starter. His not knowing to throw the ball away, his lousy fundamentals 3 years into his career, not being able to read Ds and make good, quick decisions is more on Sam than anyone else. If I were in his shoes, I'd be bugging the CS for extra help, or during the offseason I'd ask or hire a former NFL QB, OC, HC to help me learn and fix those things. I would leave no stone unturned. I'd make whatever changes necessary to succeed, and I'd fight my way through. Not Sam.

#41 NCJetsfan, Dec 16, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    Bellys Lies, REVISion and JetsKickAss like this.
  2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The patriots ran a cover 0 blitz all night and didn't even try to hide it, and we still couldn't stop it. Anyone would be seeing ghosts after that. That game alone did more damage to Sam then we can probably know.

Cromartie's_kid and MoWilkBeast like this.
  3. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Can’t keep him it would be toxic.. we need to bleach the stench of 2020 off with a fresh start. Darnold is a big part of that stench. If we can get a 2nd or 3rd for him so be it.

4. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

If Arizona was able to trade a bust like Rosen, then there is hope for a Darnold trade afterall. All the teams know the Jets will have no leverage when putting Darnold on the block, so the offers should be underwhelming, to say the least.

5. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

Your asking at the time a 22 year old kid to understand all the complexities of an NFL defense against arguably the greatest coach in the NFL history...and that he should except a lot of the blame?....you talk about his lousy fundamentals isn’t that what coaching is supposed to clean up?... not reading the defense properly again isn’t that coaching? ... Sam will be gone soon enough.. but I think a lot of the blame Lay at the feet of Adam Gase for not helping him be prepared ..and to Magic Mike for not putting enough talent around him.. I will say this if the dumb and dumber Johnson brothers don’t hire the right head coach it’ll be Groundhogs Day in Jets land It won’t matter what quarterback you bring in here

6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I'm never a fan of late risers personally. They tend to fizzle out. I'm gonna check all the QBs out though but regardless it seems moot as Tlaw has to be the pick if we are at 1. If not we could slide back If i wind up liking wilson more. IDK if you remember but originally when we were at 6 I wanted to slide back to the middle of the 1st and take lamaar jackson. Had we done that we would have had an MVP QB who could have survived behind out o-line with his mobility. plus the 3 extra 2nd rounders we traded away to move up, plus whatever picks we got to slide back in the 1st round which would have likely been a 1st the next year and a mid rounder like a 3rd or 4th.

ouchy and boozer32 like this.
  7. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

See if you can include him in a trade with the 2nd first round pick and move up in the first round

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  8. boozer32

I watched video of Wilson and he looked really good. Able to move around in the pocket and nice touch on his passes. He also can run pretty well. He should go top 5 for sure.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. boozer32

The greatest coach in NFL history? Not even close. Greatest cheater yes. Lombardi, Landry, and Walsh will have something to say about that. None of them have ever been fired either unlike Bellicheat.

jetstopgun likes this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

everything I see has him slated top 5 now. my issue is he's a late riser. he wasn't even top 100 to start the season. in 2019 he had 11TDs and 9 INTs and only threw for 2400 yards. He's putting together 1 good season out of 3 years against weak competition. But i'll scout him out further as we get closer to the draft and the season is over and see what I think more in depth

boozer32 likes this.
  11. jetstopgun

LOL I hear you B ....believe me I hate the guy too but 6 Super Bowls With Brady it’s still a remarkable feat

boozer32 likes this.
  12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Yeah this happens literally every draft. A fringe QB rises in the months leading up to the draft and some team ends up reaching for them in the top 5/10.

13. GasedAndConfused

baker mayfield is a perfect example. went from an early 2nd rounder to the top pick

14. boozer32

I agree with you on these late riser types. Now I'm hearing the Lawrence might not come out because of the Jets. That would just wreck this already horrible/cursed franchise.

15. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

Oh please. Give credit where credit is due. In the salary cap era, putting together the set of records that he did, at this point there is no question that Hoodie is the greatest. Sad, but true.

And Jerry Jones fired Landry in 1989.

REVISion and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

Hahahaaaaa - Pickpatrick returns!!

Unbelievable.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Did I say that? No, I didn't. That's totally your misreading what I said.

Yes, coaching is supposed to clean up fundamentals, teach a QB how to read Ds, how to watch film, but if the CS doesn't do their job well or at all, then it's on the player to get it for himself somewhere. Even if the coaches are doing their jobs, bottom line, it's still the player's career and his responsibility to learn and know that stuff. It won't do him any good to fail in his career and the blame his CS. The better, more motivated players know that, and do that. Not Sam. He's been in the NFL for 3 years. It's inexcusable that he doesn't know that stuff and he's flushing his career down the toilet.

Gase deserves the blame he is receiving, as does Mac, but this idea of excusing Sam and making him a victim is nonsense.

And the correct word is "accept" not "except"

18. jetstopgun

Please for give me on my miss play on words I’m using voice command most times I’m sending text..and if I offended you in my response I apologize..I just feel very strongly that Sam didn’t get a fair shot here.... I just trying to say 99% of QB’s would have failed with Lousy coaching a shit O-line , no running game, and no #1 WR .... Sam was doomed for failure ..... I hope wherever he ends up He’ll have a better chance to succeed because he sure didn’t get that with the Jets ... I do Disagree with something you stated... where does a 22 year old second year player go outside of his CS to learn such things? I would think most organizations would frown on their QB learn from someone other than their staff

#58 jetstopgun, Dec 16, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  19. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Douglas seems to be a class act so I imagine Darnold will be dealt to a decent organization.

Breaks my heart we failed such a great kid. I’ve met him on 3 occasions.

20. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

These "Late Risers" -- especially QB's -- are notorious for flaming out. The exception is the one who justifies the move up. We had our own "Late Riser" with DeWayne Robertson -- ouch.

Justin Herbert ? Moved up and taken 6th -- has GREATLY exceeded expectations. :D

Blake Bortles ? Moved up and taken 3rd -- KER-PLUNK !!!!!!! :eek: