How many years does JD get?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Oct 14, 2020.

?

How many years does JD get to show progress?

1. 2 more years

39 vote(s)
    42.4%
  2. 3 more years

34 vote(s)
    37.0%
  3. 6 more years

7 vote(s)
    7.6%
  4. 10 more years (5 year contract extension)

6 vote(s)
    6.5%
  5. Forever....

7 vote(s)
    7.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Blame the two previous GM's for this mess of a roster, not JD. There's also a reason JD wanted a 6-year deal.

JD drafted Becton and Mims, two picks that are better than anything those two stooges of GM's before him did in any draft combined. And which I love how you dismiss since they don't fit your anti-JD narrative, lol.

Also, at least JD took a good WR in a deep WR draft. Idzik couldn't even draft a decent WR in a deep class back in 2014, lmao.

Davis, Morgan and Zuniga are unknowns still, not bums yet as you so put it.

I love certain people like you that already want JD gone when he's only been here a year and a half and only has one draft under his belt. If the Jets are THIS bad 3-4 seasons in his contract, then JD very likely deserves to be shown the door. JD will ultimately be judged on how he hit in the draft this season (looking good so far) and the next couple of drafts along with the cap space he has to use the next couple of seasons.

Sheldon Richardson was never a bad player, neither Leonard Williams nor Robbie Anderson. Shell was okay/decent and still is that. It's not like they were horrendous here and suddenly started playing well elsewhere.

I do believe Darnold has gotten a raw deal here for sure (have said it multiple times), but the fact is, he's also not a "good" QB. Or at least not an elite/franchise changing QB. He owns a part in why the Jets are terrible. Can he be decent elsewhere? I've no doubt that he could. Gase is horrendous and has completely caused Darnold to regress, or at least be a big part of that. Gase was bad with the Dolphins and even worse with the Jets. What a terrible decision to hire him in hindsight..

2. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

First, we don't know how Darnold could have been with the Jets...and we will know never, since we're drafting TLaw (as we should). mute point.

Secondly, and more pertaining to your comments... JD could have kept Robbie (no-brainer). And he couldn't keep a pillar player like Adams happy... whose having another All-Pro year at 25 years of age. You didn't pay these guys to sign a few bums on your makeshift offensive line that can't block for 4 quarters. Oh suddenly, that's gonna get fixed next offseason. Like if you couldn't do it this offseason, what do you think is gonna happen in 2021. Don't tell me cap bs...You know hy does paying guys matter? Well no free agent is going to take a good deal to come to this organization...they are only going to take the BEST deal now. You know why...because they don't want their career to DIE! We are now officially the place for NFL careers to come and die....

That ain't Adam Gase boys and girls. That's JD. You keep great HOF players and re-sign your homegrown.

Dude. Davis, Morgan and Zuniga will be bums. Book that. not even in the league in a couple of years. Morgan couldn't even win the backup job. Come on man.

JD's draft is not looking good. Who is looking good..other than your 1st two picks and a punter. That's not a draft...that's BPA. Congrats you didn't mess up BPA. You're a great GM now, you picked a top-rated LT and WR, and the first punter on the board. Come on man.

He completely bombed and got zero valuable contributors in the middle of the draft. Bryce Hall is only playing because they decided to go young on the defense to see who's actually good.

3. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

JD is the only thing with this organisation that gives me any hint of hope for the future. But it's a faint chink of light rather than a bright beacon with him too. He gets a little slack due to the situation he walked in to, but not to go blameless. He put together this roster. He let many of the (few) better players the team had go and replaced them with worse players. He is culpable and played his part in what will become one of the 5 worst teams in NFL history.

Yes his first draft looks okay. Not great, definitely not world beating. Just okay. That is the chink of light. He may have a long term vision and plan to get there. Better hope that he does, he knows what he's doing and that the idiot brothers listen and stay out of his way because if not the Jets are going nowhere for a while. With Lawrence or without.

4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The majority of this board is accepting of the mistakes JD made, not one member is saying he has not made them. However the players you have mentioned, Williams, Anderson, Sam, Jamal contributed to 4-12 teams twice and a 7-9 team that benefited from a weak schedule last year while they were here, could they have been retained and JD build around them?

Yes that was definitely an option but he chose not to do that, if they had not changed the culture of the team when they were here for their rookie contracts how can they be expected to be given big long term contracts?

As a new GM I can understand why he chose not to dole out big money to players that contributed to losing seasons.

Jamal is an amazing player, as much as I rag on him, all joking aside he is all pro and will probably be paid big money by Seattle when his time comes. However as you know he did not want to be a Jet, blaming JD for getting rid of a malcontent is not fair.

The Pittsburg Steelers are notorious for getting rid of malcontents, and not overpaying for their own home grown talent when they don’t feel the money is worth it, however they don’t get criticized for it.

JD took over a team whose core players were mostly drafted or signed as FA by Macagnan. No GM can fix this in 18 months, I don’t care how good they are.

JD is going to get another 2 years to fix this team, whether we like it or not. My biggest fear is that the Jets retain Gase because JD vouches for him, that will be a tough pill to swallow as I don’t have any confidence in Gase.

#224 Red Menace, Dec 14, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Would the bolded not be more of an indictment of the HC than the GM? The GM puts the team together, the HC is the one who is supposed to coach them up and develop those players.

Did everyone expect JD to come in and make us Super Bowl contenders overnight coming off of 5-11(2016), 5-11 (2017), and 4-12 (2018)? As we all know the 7-9 last year was a mirage, realistically that team should've finished around that same mark (4-12/5-11) after starting 1-7. I think people are forgetting how much of a hole Idzik and Maccagnan put us in, especially on the offensive side of the ball.

Again, I made this statement in another post, I'm not saying JD is going to Canton but to think that he hasn't been lightyears better than either one of those fools I just mentioned is ridiculous. He's got to have some time because at least I can see what he's trying to build, unlike his predecessors.

6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

So you say JD has done nothing but then highlight 2 of the key foundational pieces that he drafted with his first 2 picks as GM of this franchise.

Bold strategy Cotton, lets see how this one plays out for him....

The Dark Knight likes this.
  7. Jets4eva9011

JD was never gonna keep Adams at the contract he wanted and with how his attitude was progressing. He also didn't just trade him for scraps, he got a nice haul for him. At that point, that's a trade you make all day.

Robbie chose to go to the Panthers and follow his old Temple coach in Rhule. JD offered him a comparable and competitive contract. Blame Mac for resigning Enuwna over Robbie at the time, another one of just his many, many blunders.

Wow, you've made that determination after 1.5 years of JD. You act like he's been here forever and the Jets have that reputation of coming here to die. Bravo..:eek:o_O

And another wow that you've already written off Davis, Morgan and Zuniga as bums. Lots of Jet fans were saying the same thing of Quinnen Williams after an average rookie season (granted, he was a 3rd overall pick and way higher rated than those 3, but my point remains). Maybe give them more than 1 covid season to see how they are, yeah?

JD's first draft is wait and see, not bombed by any means yet. His first two picks were gold. And no, that's not BPA as you so put it. Not many GM's would have drafted Becton at 11, given he was also a boom or bust pick. And he traded back in the 2nd round to get Mims, who was rated a first-round pick.

On the other hand, Gase has a track record of this going back to the Dolphins of having teams prepare and show up like this season. That ain't no coincidence at this point.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. Jets4eva9011

No kidding. It's like some Jet fans just expected JD to make this team a contender in 1.5 seasons he's been GM. My goodness. I get this season has not been good in any way and some fans need someone to complain about, but JD is not that guy. Blame Gase and the two previous GM's before JD for this abomination.

JD is going to get at least another 2 years to fix this, as he should.

9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

So much to unpack here.

A) I absolutely agree that JD should've kept Robby, as does JD. Go back to his mid-year press conference and you'll hear a guy that clearly realizes he made a mistake when evaluating his value on the open market, acknowledged that mistake and vowed to improve in that facet. Legitimately all you can ask for from a 1st time GM.

B) Jamal Adams was a locker room malcontent and is not someone that the Jets could afford to pay 20M+ a year for the next 3-5 years, which don't kid yourself is what he would've wanted from the Jets to stay. Teams that are in their "window" can afford that which is why I think the trade was a win for both sides.

C) No one is saying JD is gonna turn this team completely around by next season and anyone that expects that is setting themselves up for disappointment. This team is bad, due in large part to Idzik's and Maccagnan's failures as GMs to put talent on the roster. If you want to talk about JD's failures this draft, then please acknowledge that Idzik gave this team 2-3 usable pieces across his 2 years as GM (something JD has already exceeded in 1 draft IMO) and Maccagnan was better to be sure but totally neglected the offense which is why Sam's in the position he's in. Gotta give props to Maccagnan for drafting Leonard, Jamal, Maye, Quinnen, and Fatukasi but if you look at the rest of his drafts, man are they bad. Not only are they bad, but as you can see by the names I just gave, they do nothing to help propel the Jets forward into this offensive-driven league. When Maccagnan's best offensive player drafted, other than Sam, is Chuma Edoga or Brandon Shell, that's the type of decisions that put the Jets in the position that they're currently in and are the main reason we've had 5 straight losing seasons.

D) How can you seriously sit there and proclaim all those guys bust after 13 games? Davis looks like a solid player, especially for a 3rd round pick. Morgan is exactly who I thought he was when we drafted him, a developmental QB that will need some time to develop. Zuniga has played in 6 games and you're ready to say a late 3rd round pick is a bust? Geez man, no wonder you're ready to ready to call it quits on JD after 1 1/2 years, I'm honestly surprised it took you this long to bail on him.

E) I think JD's draft looks very solid. Becton looks like he has HOF potential, Mims looks like he's going to be our WR1/2 for the next decade, Davis looks like a guy that can contribute (potentially become a solid starter with more development), Bryce Hall has looked solid, especially for a guy coming off of an ACL injury. Perine looks to be a decent back, nothing spectacular but a good RBBC guy. That's 5 guys already that at the very minimum will contribute to this team already going forward and provide quality depth or more.

Again, and I've said this multiple times now, I'm not saying JD is the greatest GM of all-time but he seems to at least have a plan on how to build this team which is much better than his predecessors. I'm willing to give him a few more years to see what he can do with the cap space and picks that he's acquired.

10. BrooklynJetsFan

The only reason you are vouching for JD because he has zero track record...but he does.

He does little things like alienated a decent center for Ryan Kalil. He could NOT get Mosley to play thru COVID.

He hasn’t found any gems...guys. Like atleast Macc got Robbie off the street, signed a good slot DB, Crowder. JD is trying to draft his way to a great team. and his 1st draft. again you’re supposed to find two starters with your first two picks.

Good luck! No way I believe suddenly he’s this immaculate draft guy no one knew and now he’s a GM of the Jets LOL!

Don’t blame the core pieces of this team falling apart because of Gase. He doesn’t talk to these players until camp.

This is JD! But keeping giving this guy time...and excuses like this team was crazy terrible two years ago at end of the Bowles. It wasn’t.

11. BrooklynJetsFan

Not trolling. I rather a new HC/GM with TLaw and buttload of draft picks who are on the same page...DAY 1.

thank you for Becton JD.

12. Jets4eva9011

Clearly, there is no use reasoning with you due to your anti-JD rhetoric. If you expected this team to win a Superbowl or become a contender this season, that's your issue and problem lol. Don't blame JD for your delusions.

Now, JD could very well turn out to not be a good GM, but NO GM was going to turn this sort of team around in 1.5 years, get a freaking clue. Douglas deserves his own coach and QB, which he will get. He'll ultimately be judged on that and how he does over his next 1-2 drafts, especially the picks he got from the Adams trade.

Love how your completely disregarding Gase's role in this, when his track record of being a failure is way longer than JD's.

And yes, the Jets were not really a good team two years ago at the end of the Bowles era.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

You're upset that he "alienated" Jonotthan Harrison? Seriously? You're gonna blame JD for Mosley not playing due to COVID concerns? Again, seriously? There are legitimate gripes with how JD has handled his first 1 1/2 years as a GM but you're reaching with these IMO.

Big props to Maccagnan for Robby, it was a great UDFA signing. JD's got Bryce Huff, who looks like he could provide us with solid EDGE depth and potentially develop to be more. Also gotta give credit to JD for acquiring Franklin-Myers, who looks to be a very good, young IDL to pair up with Fatukasi and Quinnen. Whether you want to admit it or not, JD has made good moves outside of the Becton/Mims selection. Idzik and Maccagnan would like a word on finding guaranteed starters with your first 2 picks btw, as that only happened once (definitively) during either of their tenures (Adams and Maye). 2013: Millner/Richardson (1), 2014: Pryor/Amaro (kinda 1?), 2015: Leonard W./Devin Smith (1), 2016: Darron Lee/Hackenberg (0), 2017: Adams/Maye (2), 2018: Darnold/Shepherd (argument could be made for 2 here too but at least 1), 2019: Quinnen/Polite (1). I bring this up not to prop up JD but to show you just how bad Idzik and Maccagnan were at drafting. Hopefully this gives you more context on the kind of situation JD walked into. It's hard to rectify that type of ineptitude overnight.

Why should we not blame Gase for the team falling apart? Is he not the one who is tasked with coaching up the players and preparing them each week? This roster is by no means a world-beater but they are better than 0-13 and that is a direct reflection of Gase and HIS coaching staff that he assembled. Any competent HC lets us win the Oakland game. They hear the coverage called, call a TO, rip our DC a new one and change that coverage to a prevent coverage.

14. BrooklynJetsFan

Yes I am...but you don't alienate respected contributors on the team who's making chump change....to make a makeshift O-Line that underperforms. JD has been terrible in FA. Name me a good pick up?

Are they really better than 0-13 against this schedule? Name me a game the Jets are supposed to win.

15. Jets4eva9011

Lol, "terrible."

Fant and Lewis have been decent, Poole and Hewitt have been good. That's just off the top of my head.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  16. BrooklynJetsFan

Poole and Hewitt were Macc signings....

Fant and Lewis have not been good

17. Jets4eva9011

Okay, JD still chose to resign them when they became free agents. Stop arguing semantics to make your supposed argument look good, lol.

Fant and Lewis have been okay/decent.

18. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

There are things you can complain about JD about, he's been far from perfect. Not re-signing Robbie was a mistake, I think everyone would agree at this point (even JD). Mistakes happen though, no GM is perfect. I appreciate that he owned up to that one.

There are some things you can't complain about though. Failing to convince Mosely to play is not on JD, at all. Also, its really tough to blame JD for not drafting any "hidden gems." Undrafted free agents dont usually waltz in off the street and dominate week one. Even Robby only had 587yards year one. Having said that, Bryce Huff is definitely looking like at least a moderate "hidden gem." He may not become the player Robbie Anderson is, but among rookies he has been a pretty damn good pass rusher. His pass rush win rate is comparable to many other rookie pass rushers, he just lacks the volume right now. Also, lets see what Lamar Jackson and Javelin Guidry become before we write off the idea that JD hasnt brought in any hidden gems.

Overall, I'm OK with what Douglas has done so far. He's got pretty damn good job security right now, so he has no reason not to take his time with this rebuild. And he has a monster offseason coming up which will be transformative for the Jets. Between FA, the draft, and a new coach, the Jets have a ton of resources to help improve Lawrence.

If at the end of next season the Jets are still this bad and show no sign of getting better, I think it'll be fair to start questioning JD.

19. BrooklynJetsFan

You do understand Brandon Shell was playing the same position as Fant for the Jets two years ago and is now outperforming. SMH.

Whatever. you guys think JD is G..O..D. Stop being suckers by this org. Like JD has some master plan. He really doesn't. Anyone can stockpile picks, but can you do it while making your team competitive.

What has he done to give this guy more time? Take the draft picks and his large cap and get a new GM and new head coach. It's not the popular decision, but the smart decision. Thanks for gutting the team and making it the laughing stock. GOOD BYE!

Bellys Lies likes this.
  20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Why are you so fixated on FA? How often do teams that "win" FA become SB champions?

JD is building this team through the draft which is the exact right approach, one that his predecessors failed to understand. He's using FA as it's supposed to be used by contenders, provide stop-gap players until you replace them with younger talent via the draft.

Fant was a good sign as he looks to be a serviceable RT for the next few years. GVR and Lewis were ok signings/re-signings for the price. Perriman is our 2nd leading receiver behind Crowder, not bad value for the money he was given. McGovern doesn't look great and while he looks to be improving that one looks like it could be a bad signing. However, all of these players were given contracts that either A) were cheap or B) gave the Jets the ability to get out of them early or without incurring too much cost going forward. So sure, none of these guys are blowing you away this year because that's not what they were signed as. If these guys had gotten mega deals then I'd be right there with you calling for JD's head because he put us back in cap hell but he didn't.

We are currently projected to have 76M in cap space this offseason, which could get closer to 90M-ish if we let go of some guys (Henry Anderson, Ryan Griffin, etc.) with what could potentially be a very good FA class. Add that to our draft capital that JD has accrued for this year and next and there is definitely some optimism that JD can turn this thing around relatively quickly, at least from my perspective.

I gave you Oakland already as a game that any competent HC would've won with this team. I could make the argument that if Gase knew how to call plays in the NFL, we would've won the Pats game. We were up 10-0 on the Bills at MetLife and then couldn't move the ball for 2 1/2 quarters and let the Bills kick 6 FG's to beat us. Any competent HC would for sure have 1 win with this team, and maybe 2-3.