How many years does JD get?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Oct 14, 2020.

?

How many years does JD get to show progress?

1. 2 more years

39 vote(s)
    42.4%
  2. 3 more years

34 vote(s)
    37.0%
  3. 6 more years

7 vote(s)
    7.6%
  4. 10 more years (5 year contract extension)

6 vote(s)
    6.5%
  5. Forever....

7 vote(s)
    7.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

They ARE being done the right way.

2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

im trying to keep this about the comments and not get personal, but man, I couldn’t disagree more with your take on things.

I half think you’re joking because you are so far off point that I can’t imagine anyone actually believing what you post.

NO decent coach ever goes 0 for the season. None. I get we may still win a game...the Patriots are definitely beatable...so he hasn’t gone 0-16 yet. But man it’s likely.

how you can support a coach that failed in Miami and came here and did worse is beyond all reason.

#202 Jets79, Dec 12, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Give Lawrence two weeks to practice with the Jets offense, and he'd outplay Darnold.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

LOL.

Tough to say a GM has been spectacular with a winless team. But man is this dopey.

Bellys Lies likes this.
  5. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

No it’s not the GM. Not in this case. You have to remember he’s only been on the job for 18 months. One full off season ( and a successful one ). Covid ruined this season in my opinion. The Jets of all teams needed a full off season program, training camp, and at least 2-3 preseason games. That OL never got on track and it sure as hell didn’t help Darnold. You can’t blame that on JD.

Look, JD inherited a mess. He also inherited Darnold. Sure in reality this team can probably win 4-5 games with better coaching. JD learned his trade through Ozzie Newsome and the Ravens. He knows how to build a team and he knows it starts with the line of scrimmage. Building a championship type OL the right way takes 2-3 years. He also has to find playmakers. as far as QB goes he cannot pass up on a prospect like Lawrence. Darnold is coming up towards the end of his rookie contract, has not made the progress one would have hoped, and apparently seems to be injury prone. This doesn’t necessarily mean he’s a bad QB but I think he may flourish with a new team.

So I do believe JD is building the team the right way. Once a new coaching staff is in place I see JD adding another high OL in the draft along with another two playmakers for his new QB. A little at a time......FA will help although I doubt there will be any high priced acquisitions - just some nice solid depth signings including maybe a starter or two.

I think JD has the Jets in target for a playoff run starting in 2022.

KY Jets Fan and CotcheryFan like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

7. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I'm not joking.

And in my eyes the team already hasn't gone winless.

They won last week they beat the Raiders but they were betrayed by one of their own that's why he's no longer here.

8. WarriorRB28

We'll see if JD gets there.

HE chose to go down this path.

It looks like you've already made up your mind about him & have this thing all mapped out. If he survives this I hope it works out I hope this Trevor Lawrence was worth it.

9. WarriorRB28

I'm not giving anyone a pass I'm just objectively analyzing the situation.

We're about a year and a half into the JD 'era' what's been built here? Sure they have a bunch of draft picks coming up but that doesn't help the team on the field in 2020.

I'm supposed to believe the record is what it is because coach Gase is the worst coach in NFL history? I don't believe that.

Coach Gase? Why does it matter? Everyone has to take a dump on him? The 311 pages & counting coach Gase bashing thread not enough for you?

I believe he has his Xs & Os down pat, he's a tactician of the game and this team hasn't quit on him. The Jets are the Jets they do Jets things stupid, illogical things that's why they have the reputation they have.

Finally for the first time under the Johnsons they bring in a experienced HC with a experienced staff to completely destroy their roster in year two. The Jets.

0-16 and retain the GM? The Jets.

10. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

If we are staring at the same type situation 18 months or so from now ( still bad roster, another failed QB prospect ) then I’ll tell you how right you were.

If the Jets want positive long term results they need to stick with JD and give him about another two years and see where they stand then. They signed him to a 6 year contract so it appears this is the plan.

While I don’t like seeing them at 0-12 there are a lot of factors for this which I explained but it’s just my opinion.

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I disagree with just about everything you write here and do not understand how your lens is so far off from whatever the vast majority here see. As you say, Douglas has had a year and a half and progress is hardly discernable; Gase has been here longer and gets worse instead of better.

I believe if Gase had his Xs and Os down pat, productivity should be much higher. His tactics have proven to fail at every turn. You claim the team has not quit and I say we're not close enough to the situation to make that call and players play for themselves any way, not out of dedication to a failure as a coach. Why should we applaud the Jets for bringing in an "experienced HC" when his experience is one of losing? Why try to whitewash the staff with the claim that they are "experienced?" Are you satisfied with their results?

And using the honorific "coach" to convey esteem or respect for someone who deserves neither reeks of middle school adoration, not professionalism.

Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Realistically, he probably has two more years at absolute worst. Like Idzik levels of "have to fire this guy." He signed a six year deal, so I'd imagine he'd see at least 2/3 of that. Two more years would be 3.5 years, so if the Jets continue to be absolutely abysmal, that's probably the earliest he'd be fired.

Next year is huge for Douglas though. The team did not go into the 2020 season with the intention of tanking for Trevor Lawrence. Once he realized that Sam wasn't the future here, he seemingly adjusted into a bit of a tank, and now its full speed tank ahead. He definitely has to own how bad of a team he put together for 2020. Now if he adds Lawrence and the team shapes up nicely and has a good season, its fine. But if the team continues to flounder, he's gonna be shown the door as well in a couple years.

13. NCJetsfan

I don't think that Douglas is going anywhere any time soon, and I strongly disagree that Douglas put together a bad team for 2020. In fact, I think that idea is ridiculous. Injuries, Mosley's opting out, and Gase's refusal to adapt and change, his lousy coaching and play calling are what sunk this team.

Douglas isn't a miracle worker, but had a great draft. Desir is the only FA that didn't work out at all, and he even had 4 interceptions, so wasn't all bad. I don't know what you and others expect, but that is what is not realistic. Since Douglas was hired, many posters here have been nitpicking, and crticizing Douglas for any and every little thing. I have a news flash. NO ONE IS PERFECT. Any GM, even the all-time greats don't do everything perfectly and they make some mistakes. It's like some of you want him to fail so you can say, "I told you so!" It's disgusting and ridiculous. Please understand that I'm not aiming my comments just at you. You are actually somewhat optimistic and positive. They're more general towards all posters who have been so critical of Douglas. I'm just sick of all the negativity and unrealistic expectations. It's making this site unreadable.

All the rest of the FAs have gotten better and better and are mostly playing pretty well. It's Gase that has continued running Gore up the gut, who hasn't helped Sam develop, and whose play calling sucks. It's Sam's lousy play and Herndon's falling off a cliff. With better coaching and without all the injuries to the WRs early on, I think this team could have at least 5-6 games, maybe more. That's on par with last year's team which had a much easier schedule, and didn't have to deal with Covid.

#213 NCJetsfan, Dec 13, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    Imagesrdecieving and JetsKickAss like this.
  14. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

15. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Did you not remember that this team was 1-7 last year before the schedule became much easier? Coach Gase sucked last year as well, they played a weak schedule and squeezed out some ugly games in the last stretch of the year to end up 7-9. That was with Jamal Adam and Anderson on the team as well.

If the schedule was any tougher at the end of last year Jets are a 1 or 2 win team, so please stop with the “coach Gase” has his X and O down because he does not, he is a horrible HC and needs to be fired at seasons end.

16. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

We are the worst team in the NFL,yet
    JD is the GM who managed our team to a 0-16 season. Not only are we 0-16 we are a joke every week, Geno Smith lighting us up this week, Williams last week,a stud GM would be showing signings of improvement, not meaning it needs to be wins but progression. Every week we take steps backwards. JD owns being the GM of probably the worst team in NFL history. He has gotten rid of Leonard Williams and Jamal Adams. We will be lucky to replace what they are doing now with the picks we have gotten for them.Sam has no trade value now. Who has JD brought in that says yes this is an answer. Becton is playing very good, for a pick early in the draft my daughter could go off Mels list and done the same. Mims is rated as the 4 th best wr in the draft and his stats are close to that. Other than that I do not see anybody as a homerun even on a 0-12 team where evceryone should be able to show who they are

17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

At least two more years.

18. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

JD is being schooled by what the Bills and Dolphins have been able to do while he is GM. Both teams might have had less talent when JD was hired, yet they are playing for the playoffs with young rosters, we are the worst team in the nfl and possible the worst in NFL history. All on JD, no guarantee Lawrence can change this team on his own. Playing against teams the Bills , who are a great team already and the dolphins who played toe to toe with the chiefs who has a great cap situation and a draft capital close to ours. Plus the other team is Bellys , he wants to beat Shulas record. Trevor Lawrence , along with JD are Sam again. Three of the teams in our division have are set with oI gms

19. NCJetsfan

Utter lies, BS and nonsense. Quit trolling.

20. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

You guys are so lost in the sauce. Trevor Lawrence doesn't make this TEAM better immediately, but he'll get Jets fan in those seats ($$$).

JD has done ZERO. So what he drafted Becton, big deal. Mims (I mean he had to draft a WR) because he let a top-10 WR walk for chump change....and signed Perriman. Borderline criminal.

If JD wasn't trying to tank...he should be fired before or with Gase. That mean he thought this 0-13 team was good enough to win him football games. Y'all gotta stop giving these people a pass. Dude could have upgraded the roster properly but instead he took 1 WR in the deepest positional draft in years.

Picking up bums like Davis, Morgan and Zuniga...come on man. But yea he got a franchise punter LMAO. Only us Jets fans can't see the writing on the wall. JD needs to go with Gase. this stench is now on him too.

And everyone blaming Darnold, sorry I'm not blaming 23-year old playing the toughest position in sports, on the the most crappiest roster in sports, with the shittiest owners in SPORTS!...with the WORST COACH EVER.

Watch this dude goes on suddenly is balling by 26....like you know Leonard Williams, Robbie Anderson...damn even Brandon Shell is a starter on Seattle. oh my lawd...Sheldon Richardson doing his thing on the Browns.

Everyone underachieves here LOL!!!! Good night.

Bellys Lies likes this.