What would Mosley's trade value be?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, Dec 10, 2020.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If we were to trade him what would he be worth?

I know that he carries a large contract but due to the opt out he will be extra cheap next season which will entice several teams. He is also a perennial pro bowler with several good years left. That alone is worth serious value.

How much could we get for him?

(If we want to trade him the Cowboys would likely be the first option. Therefore we should want the Cowboys to lose out and maybe land a top 5'ish pick)

2. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

He virtually untradeable for a few reasons.

1) His salary is deferred to next year now.
    *17M in 2021 and 10M in 2022
    2) Guy essentially hasn't played in 3 years at the start of next season

3) Cowboys are set at LB with Smith and Vander Esch

FJF, Cman68 and James Hasty like this.
  3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

In a trade Mosley carries a 7.5 million cap hit for 2021 and 17.5 for 2022. We'd have to eat the 12 million next year.

A team can get Mosley for 7.5 million next season - for a guy that has made the probowl every season of his career, except the hamstring year with us. That is hardly untradable. And opting out wont hurt his trade value. We'd have several teams making offers. If we wait until after next season he starts to become untradable.

If you think the Cowboys are set at LB you should watch more Cowboy games.

#3 ouchy, Dec 10, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

A conditional 7th if we're lucky. We might have to give up picks if we want to move him, at which point cutting him might ultimately make more sense.

FJF likes this.
  5. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

2030 seventh round pick and a $10 Dave and Busters gift card.

K'OB, cval and dmw like this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

What makes you think he could only fetch a 7th round pick?

7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

If we get the 1st pick there is an argument to be made that Mosley is the team MVP. With him on the team we might have beaten Denver, Buffalo, NE, SD, Miami and LV. One positive play in each of those games could have changed the outcome. If Mosley had not opted out we might have even been stuck with Gase again next year.

NYJetsO12, westiedog1 and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

He hasn't played in what will be almost three calendar years. If you want to really add it up too it'll be two games in almost four years at his next snap. Look at how drained of explosiveness Bell looked.

Mosely was player with deficiencies to begin with. He never deserved the record contract he got and in his best years with the Ravens he was maybe a top 10 ILB.

K'OB and Bellys Lies like this.
  9. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Trade him and his comfy couch and big screen TV for some Gatorade.

10. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

So you are saying that Mosely and Gregg Williams are the team MVPs.

NYJetsO12 and Noam like this.
  11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

If we get the 1st pick and Trevor becomes the QB we hope he will be the Jets should build a statue for both Mosley, GW, and Ruggs. December 6th could then become a Jet holiday to celebrate.

hobgoblin, dmw and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Cowboys may ditch Smith. Having a bad year.

13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Didn't they extend him last year?

RochesterJet likes this.
  14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Maybe a top 10 LB?

A player with deficiencies to begin with? I guess that's how he missed DROY by two votes.

Guys, I love you, but lets get back to what is rational.

Mosley played 4 seasons with the Ravens and was named first team pro bowl all 4 years, including his rookie year. He is generally considered one of the best inside linebackers in the league - if not the best. A perennial pro bowler.

It comes down to supply and demand, and what teams need. If there were a glut of great inside LBs his value might take a hit. But there really isn't.

His contract is a steal next season.

Let compare this to Jamal Adams. Like Mosley he is also a multiple pro bowler (Adams 2 in 3 seasons, Mosley 4 in his 4 full seasons). .

Adams public griping showed he had potential to be a problem and he was publicly stating he wanted an obscenely high contract. Those were two large dings on his trade value.

Yet we got two firsts, a third, and a replacement player for him. Mosley is a far more valuable defensive player then Adams.

Lets talk money.

Mosley has a large contract and Adams is going to get a large contract. Yet next season a team could get Mosley for 7.5 million dollars. Adams is set to earn 9.8 million next season - and that is without signing a multi year bonanza deal yet.

So Mosley, the more valuable player, is also the much cheaper player next season.

But by TGGs logic he is worth a conditional 7th - or is untradable.

Or he couldn't get as much as Adams in a trade...and maybe he wouldn't. This comes down to what teams need this season. But if you couldn't get at least a first for him then you stink as a GM.

The layoff of playtime may have an impact on his play - or it may not. But it wont have that large of an impact on his trade value.

#14 ouchy, Dec 10, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

DROY? C'mon dude. If you want to list that as some sort of accolade the guy has to have actually won it.

First team Pro Bowl? You mean that thing that fans vote for? Teddy Bridgewater was a pro Bowler with fourteen touchdowns and nine picks. I mean Pro Bowls matter to an extent. But either way he'll be three seasons removed from a Pro Bowl performance.

Adams was coming off an All Pro nod and lead a stingy Jets defense that willed the garbage roster to 7 wins.

Once again. Mosely hasn't played in three years by the time his new team starts the season.

His deficiency is in the passing game. He was a good blitzer, a great run stopper and a guy who struggles when dropping back.

How does the layoff have no impact on his value? He's also entering the wrong side of thirty.

16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Well I'd hate for you to be mistaken, so your right.

Conditional 7th rounder.o_O

17. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I don’t know about tradeable or not, but I don’t think we’d get anywhere near first rounder for a player who hasn’t played in two years.

I would love it, but I just don’t see it. Coming off a groin that cost him all year, then taking the cowardly year off...no way.

I’d be shocked if we were able to get a third rounder

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Trust me. I hope I'm wrong too. If we pull a fourth for Mosely it'd be a miracle.

19. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

But he looked incredible in all the game he played for the Jets.

NYJetsO12, FJF, K'OB and 2 others like this.
  20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I'd think more than a 7th round pick. Think we could probably get a 5th at least.

Jets81 likes this.