boozer32's Entire Jets 2021 Offseason Projection

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Nov 30, 2020.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Watson and Burrow have relatively weak arms, and Allen and Jackson have had significant accuracy issues. But other than Goff, there hasn't been a successful pure pocket passer in the last five draft classes, and there haven't been any at all in the last four classes. Not a fluke IMO, and NFL teams are grading prospects accordingly; for instance, Lawrence, Fields, Wilson, and Lance are all more mobile than Darnold.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well, I never said that mobility wasn't important, just that I think it's of lesser importance than the other two traits.

3. HomeoftheJets

The thing is I don't think it's of lesser importance. I used to, but then I underestimated Allen and Jackson as a result, and I'm not going to make that mistake again. Also, why do you like Wilson so much? I like him too, but I'm curious why you're so high on him. (If you've explained elsewhere, you can direct me to it rather than having to type it out again.)

4. ColoradoContrails

First, let me emphasize that I DO think mobility is important, and can make up for some deficits in the other two - but if I had to pick one of those three traits, I would probably go with mental toughness/will to win, followed by arm strength, and then mobility. Tom Brady is almost like a statue, and while he doesn't have the strongest arm it's pretty damn strong, but his will to win is exceptional.

As to Wilson, I haven't seen nearly as much of him as I did Mahomes, and I could be mistaken, but it's just the way he plays, there's a flair, something hard to pin down, and I know that sounds like a cop out, but I'm going to have to see more film of him before I could pin it down better. I just got a sense of watching another Mahomes, but with a lesser arm. I really do need to see more film of him, Lawrence, and Fields before I could say with certainty which one I like best.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Following are the attributes in order that I think are most important. The first three are where I think Sam is most lacking. In fairness to Sam, it could be that he does possess these traits, but they have been obfuscated by the incompetence of his HCs, OCs and QB Coaches with the Jets with the approach they have taken with him and perhaps the systems in which he has been forced to play perhaps don't fit what is natural for him. I think he is soft mentally and physically (seeing ghosts), doesn't process quickly (if at all), doesn't have great instincts, and isn't accurate. Whereas all QBs don't like being hit or sacked, they don't get scared like Sam did and start seeing ghosts. They get pissed and get in their OL faces, or they do something to slow down the rush.I think he works hard, but maybe doesn't work smart, and he isn't really a leader. I know that he switched from LB to QB in high school, so he got a late start at QB, but unless he had no proper coaching either in high school or college, it's very difficult for me to understand how his fundamentals could be so bad, especially after he has supposedly worked hard with Jordan Palmer on them the last three years. How can his footwork be so bad, he not know to throw the football away, and how can he not know to not try to force the ball into double or triple coverage?

Football IQ, mental processing ability, attitude - being able to read the Ds, having great instincts, can make quick, good decisions, poise, confidence, is aggressive and has the killer instinct.*
    Leadership - includes work ethic, character, not being a prima donna*
    Mental and physical toughness - being able to shrug off missed throws, interceptions, bad plays, sacks and hits.*
    Being able to make all the throws accurately - arm strength, can fit the ball into tight windows, anticipation, being able to throw receivers open
    Mobility - can avoid the rush, can get yardage with this legs.

Brady has the first three in spades, and also has the 4th. Making quick decisions and getting the ball out quickly helps reduce the negative of his lack of mobility. Rodgers possess all of these qualities in spades. I think Brees, Wilson, Jackson, Allen, Mayfield and the other better QBs have most of them to some degree.

#65 NCJetsfan, Dec 5, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    twown and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

I don't think that if a great pure pocket passer came along that he wouldn't be appreciated or coveted by some teams. The game is evolving on all levels, but there are still those in the NFL who behind the times and who don't like running QBs. I think there has been a lack of pure pocket passers because QBs are becoming more athletic, there are fewer great OL, and as a matter of self preservation, QBs are learning at an earlier age to move to avoid taking big hits, and it can be a big weapon. The rules favor and protect QBs now. They'd have to be dumb or cowardly not to run when they can slide and defenders can't touch them once they begin sliding and they can run out of bounds to avoid hits.

7. ColoradoContrails

In essence, we agree, except that you broke down the mental toughness/will to win further and added a couple of traits. "Football IQ" is one I'd say is also key. I don't know what you mean by that term exactly, but for me this is the almost innate understanding of how the game is played, as opposed to understanding Xs and Os and the technical aspects of the game. Those of course have to be well understood, but all great athletes - actually anyone who is considered great in any endeavor - seem to have a "4th dimension" of understanding of what they're doing...it's like they can foresee things unfolding before they do and are already reacting to them while everyone is waiting to see what they see. Maybe this is the most important ingredient of all. I do know that Sam doesn't seem to possess this.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

OMG IF they do go 0-16 and trade away the pick/don't take Lawrence

Classic SOJ

If that were to happen WHAT HAVE THEY BEEN DOING THE PAST YEAR absolutely destroying their roster?!!!

9. NCJetsfan

Yes, "Football IQ" for me is more than just understanding Xs and Os, and making good decisions. It involves instincts, the "innate understanding of how the game is played" you mentioned. It's totally understanding what the D is doing and knowing what in your offense can work, it's being able to audible into a better play based on what the D is doing. It's the "It" factor that sets QBs apart.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

Is this the flair you're trying to pin down? ;)

[​IMG]

11. ColoradoContrails

The second coming (pun intended) of Joe Willie?

12. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

What are you basing your claim on that Allen is inaccurate? His at the top of the league in nearly every accuracy metric.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

Do you obsessively read every thread or just type "Allen" into the search bar and go from there?

14. NCJetsfan

Did he get to take them home afterwards?

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  15. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I'll sign up for the Boozer plan. My thoughts exactly on the Lawrence/#1 pick though too. Tempted by the bright shiny object and then the same thing happens because nothing is improved. Just get Sam some help and he'll be fine. Another All-World Tackle, Big time improved receivers, Darnold going into year 4 as a battle tested pro that now actually has a few tools in the toolbox, a new coaching staff and some more exciting ideas... To me this is how you turn this shitpile around.

boozer32 likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

SMH Sorry, but your take on it is ridiculous and would be disastrous! The same thing isn't going to happen. The OL is already better than it has been at any time since we drafted Sam and the WR corps is already better than it has been at any time in the last decade. Douglas just had the best draft the Jets have had in a long, long time, and there's no reason to think that he won't have another very good to excellent draft next year and the year after. If you think we'll be fine with Sam at QB then you have no understanding of what good QB play looks like.

17. HomeoftheJets

You're trying to be too clever here.