boozer32's Entire Jets 2021 Offseason Projection

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Nov 30, 2020.

1. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I think Lawrence is the safest pick but I love Fields also as a prospect. If Jacksonville wants to send the whole farm over for a swap of QBs I would have to think about it.

Chances are it won’t happen, because Jacksonville probably won’t give up enough and no one wants to be remembered as the guy who passed on Lawrence

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

The Jets would need to receive the kind of haul never before seen and likely never to be seen again for Douglas to risk passing on a guy who could potentially light up the league for the next 10-20 years. It’s the kind of thing that ends up on not just your Jets tombstone, but your career tombstone.

The opposite end of the spectrum is we acquire 8-10 quality starters over 2 drafts and Lawrence has the same career trajectory as Darnold.

Between a good first draft, the picks he’s already acquired, and the cap money available, I believe he can set Lawrence up for success. If he can’t, Lawrence can sit and learn behind a vet for 8-12 games and come in when the pressure is off. I’d be surprised to see that happen, especially if JD adds a #1 WR and continues to improve the OL. I think it’s already better than it looks when Darnold is out there.

barfolomew and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Even a month ago I could have got on board trading down for an epic haul, but not now. It is clear that Sam's time in NY is over. Whether the Jets have ruined him or he never had the talent is a moot point. He's done. He might recover in the right situation, sitting behind a vet with a great offensive coach, but not here.

If however, having done due diligence, JD decides to trade back because another QB might be a better fit, then I'm ok with that.

4. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Several points

C.J should fire gase, he employed him and should let his hiring go. Show some accountability.

What HC is going to take this job knowing that Sam is the qb here after this season hes having? No one worth anything.

I get this is a load all the bases job, but sams done here. (Which for one im gutted about)

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

5. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Darnold is cooked, never saw someone so overrated who has done nothing for 3 years

94Abraham and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I like signing Thuney & Robinson, everything else is a disaster, especially passing on Lawrence and letting Fant walk.

Imagine a team passing on Lawrence? Lol.

NCJetsfan and matt robinson 17 like this.
  7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I agree completely. I believe I misunderstood your initial post. My fault.

Have a great day, Sir.

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

It's just not 100% clear to me that Sam is toast. I think back to his rookie year where he had so many brilliant moments. And last year when Sam/Gase had a nice run of first possession TDs (led the league). I'm not gonna make a long list of his failings (everyone has already posted those). And I'm not gonna base the future of the NY Jets on his last game where he's coming back from injury with new wideouts and a 37yr old RB either.

Yes, I know we all like to say "But a franchise QB overcomes everything and finds ways to win". Not always true. Look at Tannehill. Barely so-so in Miami (under QB whisperer Gase) but is tearing it up in Tennessee.

Look, we've all destroyed Idzik/MacCagnan for leaving us with a team completely void of talent and zero oline.

And we've all destroyed Gase for being perhaps the worse HC in modern NFL history.

But somehow we expect Sam, whose still younger than Herburt who was just drafted, to 'rise above' and just win, baby.

Look, I'm all for taking Trevor if just for the 4 yr rookie contract. But if that falls through, I think WE can be that new team Sam needs. New 'team', new HC, new OC, new teammates, and Joe Douglas to surround Sam with protection and REAL WEAPONS.

Imagesrdecieving and barfolomew like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No problem. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I always enjoy our discussions.

You have a great day as well!

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  10. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Look, even if Sam can be salvaged, his rookie contract being up is not going to be helpful in a rebuild.

Douglas is a shrewd evaluator too. When he sees the tape of Sam seeing a wide open Crowder on Sunday and not throwing the ball to him, his mind will be made up.

11. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

The Jaguars would not give up three 1sts and two 2nds to move up 1 spot with Fields available at 2.

Also, passing on Lawrence would be a mistake of astronomic proportions. The Jets have ample rebuild capital already, and this is a major misplacement of priority.

GQMartin and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Regarding Sam, whether he can still become the guy or not in the future is irrelevant to the Jets. Sam and the Jets are over because our relationship is ruined. Sam has every reason to harbor resentment towards the Jets, and I'm sure he does. We screwed him in so many ways. Sure part of it is also Sam's fault, but that doesn't matter. Once resentment sets in its time to move on.

We tried, it didn't work, its time to part ways as amicably as possible.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I want new owners.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  14. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I’m not.

Take the best QB available and tailor the system and personnel to them. He’s literally setting himself up to do exactly that with the picks and the cap space.

The coach is the one who needs to be a good fit. No more “offensive gurus” or “defensive masterminds”. Find a coach who’s either proven they can or shows the potential to be able to run an entire team. No more coaches with tunnel vision on one side of the ball or for one specific system.

15. foxtrot

foxtrot New Member

Agree completely! We need a new QB, but I don't think it's settled yet whether Lawrence or Fields/Trask/Wilson/? + additional picks is the best way to go. Some college-football left to be played before the answer to that becomes clearer.

16. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

There is no guarantee that Fields or Wilson or whoever will not have a better career than Lawrence. Fields surrounded with weapons on Jacksonville will be one way Lawrence is judged. Only a few sure-fire picks end up being them.. Mannning was one, Luck was very good, most of the great qbs were not great college qbs

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree with what I bolded, and I think that's the question that everyone - especially GMs - need to answer. What are the qualities that all the best NFL QBs share? And they should be ranked in order of importance. Once you do that, it would go a long way towards identifying which college QBs possess these traits. And W/L record is probably not one of them.

I haven't really thought of this in this way so I don't have a list of Great QB Traits handy, but if anyone here has, or can come up with one, I'd love to see it.

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The three most important traits in today's NFL are:

1. Has to have the right mentality. Confident and a leader but also hardworking and not a screwball. Sam's decent in this category but he is somewhat passive.
    2. Mobility, the last good young QB who wasn't at least as mobile as Sam was Goff. All the rest of the good ones are mobile: Prescott, Wentz (hopefully he can turn his career around), Mahomes, Watson, Allen, Jackson, Mayfield, Murray, Herbert, Tagovailoa, and Burrow. Sam's mobility is like the bare minimum these days.
    3. Accuracy, though if you're very mobile and have a big arm, you can get away with inaccuracy (see Allen and Jackson). Sam doesn't have those traits like Allen and Jackson, so he can't get away with being inaccurate.

Also, reading defenses is part of a QB's mental side, but mobile QBs have an easier time because they can run if the defense gives them a coverage they can't figure out.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree that mobility is important, but I think having a big arm and being accurate are the most important traits. And by "big arm" I don't mean necessarily like Allen or Mahomes, but it needs to be in that realm. There are times when you have to be able zip that ball into a tight window and you need to have the velocity to do it. But strength without accuracy isn't good enough, that's where Allen struggles, and while Darnold's arm isn't nearly as strong as Allen's, his inaccuracy becomes an even bigger issue.

I do agree on the mental toughness part. In fact, if a QB has a sufficiently high level of this, it can almost make up for all other deficiencies. I can't think of a good current example, but going way back, two come to mind: Joe Kapp of the Vikings, and Billy Kilmer of the Redskins. Both had terrible arms - I could probably throw better lefthanded (I'm a righty) than they could with their right, and yet both took their teams to SBs and won a lot of games. And it just occurred to me that the reason I can't think of anyone currently like that is because they would never get a chance to play QB, even in high school or Pop Warner these days. But their drive to win was unsurpassed, and it enabled them to win. If you look at the best QBs today - starting with Brady - I think you'll see that same level of commitment to not accepting anything less than winning. I think that's what Belichick saw in Brady at Michigan, and it was proven out. I don't see this in Darnold. I did see this in Mahomes and Watson, and I hate to say it, but I see it in Allen. I haven't seen enough of Lawrence or Fields, but I do see it in Wilson.

Anyway, that's my take on this.

NCJetsfan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  20. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

Isn't the most important thing how they did in high school?