Official Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ray Lucas, Oct 22, 2020.

?

Our Next Head Coach

Poll closed Nov 5, 2020.
  1. Eric Bieniemy

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Arthur Smith

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Greg Roman

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Jim Harbaugh

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Joe Brady

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Other (Please Explain)

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Another candidate to consider is Clemson OC Tony Elliot.

2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I think refreshing the poll with all potential candidates will be a good idea. Can you guys tell me who to do to the poll?

Harbaugh
    Pederson (I think he will be done after this season)
    Bienemy
    Joe Brady

Add to the list please.

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I think Bieniemy is a cool name, therefore I choose him.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  4. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

Again...
    1) Matt Campbell

If Campbell won't interview
    2)Fitzgerald or Brady please

REVISion likes this.
  5. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

This poll needs a Dowell Loggains option

6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Here is my wish moving forward from these dismal, long, painful and embarrassing years.
    First and foremost, before we ever engage on any moves to release Sam or anyone else on the roster or grab free agents I want to see Gase and his OC gone for good. Period, end of story. No other option is acceptable.
    After we clean the root cause problem, a full court press with JD at the helm for a new coach. Get ahead of the competition for a new hire. Then engage the new coaching staff in a collaborative effort to streamline the roster with the core players that will constitute the foundation for our team. If the new HC wants to keep Sam to compete with the new QB or to hold a clip board as back up so be it.
    After that, attack the free agency with vigor in key areas such OG, one more WR, and may be CB and LB, allowing the most flexibility going to the draft. After QB, prioritize offense and pass rush.
    But first things first. If Gase is still here I don’t give a shit about who we will get, and will no longer suffer thru this circus of incompetent ownership and talent selection. Life is two short to root for a team that can’t even figure out where the problem resides.

roboz08, NCJetsfan, REVISion and 2 others like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This expresses my feelings exactly!

REVISion, LAJet and Noam like this.
  8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

This is kind of where I’m at. That offense was great before EB, and it’ll continue to be great without him when he leaves. He didn’t make Mahomes. Mahomes and Andy Reid made him.

Just like every single NE coach has been mediocre at best and more often than not flat out terrible once they left NE. Weiss, Crennel, McDaniels, Patricia, O’Brien....they ALL sucked. Brady and Belichick made them and it didn’t rub off. Brian Flores has looked ok in his second year at Miami so he may be the real deal, but if he is, he’d be the first.

I kind of feel the same way about Bienemy

MoWilkBeast and REVISion like this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Jets1035 likes this.
  10. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

He’s been with Andy Reid for a while now and has put in the work...everyone thats worked with him loves the guy and there’s not a better assistant candidate out there IMO

I get what you’re saying about guys that worked with BB, but I wouldn’t say no to a guy because he’s had success being in a good situation

He should definitely be on our list and given an interview

JetBlue likes this.
  11. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

Not enough Joe Brady up in here....

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He doesn't have nearly enough experience and is too young imo. He was a LB coach for William and Mary from 2013-2014, a grad assistant at Penn St. 2015-2016, an offensive assistant with the Saints 2017-2018, was passing game coordinator and WR Coach at LSU in 2019, and this is his first year as an OC. He looks to have a very bright future, but needs to work as a coordinator at least for another 3-4 years before he becomes a HC.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I’ve no issue talking with him...he deserves an interview

all I’m saying is that I’m not buying his success as OC as his own. He didn’t create it. He didn’t build it. Reid did. Mahomes made it awesome. I think that offense would be just as good with or without him.

he’s riding the coattails of a great HC and QB.

I’d rather go with someone who has shown he can build something

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be upset with Bienemy.

This argument is a bit lame to be honest. What coordinator are you hiring away from a 4-12 team with a bad quarterback? Usually the team that has a hot coordinator candidate has had a decent amount of success.

Eric Bienemy is a little bit different because of how hands on Andy Reid is with the offense. But I don't think that knocks him down. He's obviously learning in a winning program and it's not like Bienemy sits at home every day and shows up on game day.

Bienemy is the safe pick honestly.

Ron Rivera, Sean McDermott, Matt Nagy, Doug Pederson, John Harbaugh etc. have all found a decent amount of success. Pederson and Harbaugh with the SB wins. I don't like Nagy and Pederson but decent to good resumes at the least.

15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

This is my tier list, I’m sure I’m missing some that I have forgotten.

Most excited with

Campbell
    Pat Fitzgerald
    PJ Fleck

Excited with

Daboll
    Bienemy
    Art Smith
    Brady
    Roman
    Selah

Meh with

Wink Martindale

Oh God Please No

Bill O’Brien

16. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

But you’re confusing the fact that he may not be 100% responsible for the offensive success at KC with the fact that he may, despite that, possess the necessary skills to be a great HC.

that’s the problem with HC discussion — they are reduced simply to attempting to project success as a coordinator as an indicator of ability to coach, when those roles require significantly different skill sets.

17. NCJetsfan

I believe that Brady has a very bright future ahead of him, but is simply too young and has too little coaching experience to even be seriously considered for our new HC job. We don't need someone who has only been a coordinator for one season, zero experience as a HC, and having to learn on the job. The odds of his succeeding or being able to handle all three units would be slim and none imo.

At least with Daboll and Roman, they've been in the NFL a long time, have lots of experience, have had success everywhere they've coached, they've served under some very good and great HCs, and have had time to figure out how they would be a HC. Matt Campbell and PJ Fleck have been successful HCs, they just don't have any experience or contacts in the NFL, so putting a staff together may prove problematic.

Why Fitzgerald?

18. NCJetsfan

Why 3 collegiate HCs who have zero experience in the NFL and could have problems putting together an NFL staff? I don't think Brady could even begin to put together a CS. He hasn't been coaching that long at any level.

I saw that there's a rumor linking Douglas and Fitzgerald, but at this point I hope he's not the choice. He has only coached defense and was never even a coordinator. He played defense as well, so I'm certain that his emphasis would be on fixing the D first, and he wouldn't be likely to want to build the offense around Lawrence. Chances are that he's more conservative, and like most defensive coaches, believes he can win with defense and limiting mistakes on offense. That's not what we need, and imo would probably ensure that Lawrence struggles and maybe doesn't succeed. I see that he has a winning record during the regular season, but not in bowl games. What's so great about him?

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Mike Maccagnan was in all of the interviews for Head Coaches in 2019, right? It wasn't just Christopher Johnson in a dark room with Adam Gase I hope. I ask, because this could be good once the search begins in 2021 with Joe Douglas in the room and being a part of interviews. Hopefully he is able to lead the way in the head coaching search. I trust he could find the right guy for the team he is building.

Thanks for merging this thread too! :cool:

20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I want the next HC to be the CEO of the team. I don’t care if he has an offensive background or defensive background but he best be a damn good leader of men. I believe each of the 3 are that type and have proven ability in turning around programs. Just bringing programs like Northwestern, Minnesota and Iowa St into contention is damn near miraculous.

I’m very confident they would be able to hire staff and can only hope JD doesn’t try to make the same mistake that Mac made and try to force staff on a HC hire. Let the next HC hire his own staff.

As for Brady, it probably is too soon and for that reason he’s not my first choice but if JD believes in him it’s better to be a year early on a HC than a year late.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.