2020 NFL Week 11: New York Jets @ Los Angeles Chargers (4:05 PM)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Nov 15, 2020.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I get @westiedog1's basic points and views, but the New York Jets are bigger than Adam Gase. He may have had a raw deal, had terrible luck with injuries, etc, it doesn't matter. He has a terrible reputation (which he has earned) around the league. I don't think you can sell this Jets team to incoming Free Agents and potential draft picks with Gase still in control. It just looks like the Jets have no clue and are continuing down a bad path. However, if you fire Adam Gase, it shows the league that starting (1-7) in 2019 and starting (0-10) in 2020 is not acceptable to this franchise. We expect better and are getting better with a new coaching regime.

It is similar with Sam Darnold, except even more unfortunate. He has been surrounded with bad coaches and bad players. That is not debatable. It is a fact. However, the Jets need to get rid of all this negativity, and that could include starting over at QB with Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields. It is not a knock on Sam, more of a let's start over approach. If I was a young player or key free agent, I would prefer that, instead of joining a team that has been terrible and has decided to keep a lot of the key pieces that contributed to being terrible.

2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I know you didn't pose this question to me, but I'll answer. Joe Brady, Matt Campbell, Arthur Smith, Byron Leftwich, Dave Toub, Don Martindale, Robert Saleh, and Brian Daboll are HC prospects I'd consider. There might be others, but those are the names that come to mind.

3. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I am not guaranteeing anything with Gase. All I'm saying is that any other coach would have as dismal a record with the Jets as currently constituted and that judging him as a failure is easy to do with the lack of talent on the team. Put some decent players on the team, then you'd be better able to judge his capabilities. I understand you have no more patience and that's fine. I'm tired of seeing the same merry-go-round every two years so I'm willing to give him one more year.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

But like I said... players leave Gase and get better. Who is to say that we wouldn't be getting WAY more out of what we have if we had a somewhat competent coach? Gase is a proven failure, he has never developed a single player, in fact he's ruined two QBs in Tannehill and Darnold. Literally nothing good has come from Gase coaching a team since 2014.

5. westiedog1

Okay, fine, but I don't know (and you don't either), if any of those names are winning HC choices for the Jets.

6. BroadwayAaron

But we DO know that Gase is not. That's proven already. We have the answer. And you can bring up injuries and opt-outs and lack of talent but like I said in my above post, he is to blame for some of the lack of talent and every team deals with injuries. Look at the Steelers last year... they were running shit out on to the field every week. They almost made the playoffs. This year rookie head coach Matt Rhule lost his best player and won games, then he lost his starting QB and still won the last game. The proof is in the pudding.

7. westiedog1

Those would have been good reasons not to hire him in the first place. Nevertheless, they did hire him and he's here, therefore, to me, I'd rather go forward for at least one more year than backwards bringing in a new unproven coach.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

I think your assertion that we are moving forward is incorrect.

NCJetsfan and Jets79 like this.
  9. westiedog1

Maybe you know, but I'm not convinced until the Jets get some decent players on the roster. Having said that, if the Jets continue to turnover good players as they have in the last few years, I'll be ready to say enough.

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

IDK, when a snake handling preacher gets bit by the snake, I don't blame the snake. If Gase is "snake bitten", it's due to his own decisions. Look, nowhere, except in Denver when he wasn't a HC and he had a HOIF QB calling the plays at the LOS for him, has Gase ever had success. That's not bad luck or coincidence, that;'s well earned ineptitude.

Further, we were asked to be patient with Rex, and Bowles, and where did that lead?

But I'm seriously afraid that the Johnsons are thinking like you are, and will retain this loser. If so, that will be the end of my five and half decade fandom.

NCJetsfan, Jets79 and Noam like this.
  11. westiedog1

Great minds think alike, LOL.

Sorry, being a Jet fan is a lifetime gig. You're stuck like the rest of us.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

But I was a minor, and not legally responsible when I made that choice!:p

westiedog1 likes this.
  13. westiedog1

Sorry, I didn't see this post until just now.

I honestly don't know what his reputation is around the league not being a league insider, so unless you are, I can't agree or disagree. You have a point about players lack of desire to come play here, but I would attribute that mostly to the historical futility of this franchise. Gase has probably added to that but isn't the cause of it IMO. I don't think the NY Jets organization has to make decisions based on what the rest of the league thinks. In fact, I would think the rest of the league would hope the futility continues so that they get a schedule breather every now and then. As for players, I don't worry about the attraction of playing for the NY Jets. First there's always money, second there's the challenge of turning around a franchise in the greatest city in the world and what that would mean to a career in football and after it (think Joe Namath) and lastly it's still the NFL as opposed to the XFL.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  14. westiedog1

:):D

15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

No worries. The reputation I speak of is how he deals with players. He gets rid of good players, refuses to accommodate to player's abilities, and instead just runs his offense the way he wants. Despite how bad it is, he continues in his stubborn ways. I have said many times I like how Gase talks. I can tell he knows a lot about football. He just can't lead a team of men to success as a Head Coach. Not sure why, but it hasn't worked out in New York. It did not work out in Miami either.

You say the rest of the league would hope the futility continues, but that would be the case if Gase is retained. It would be ridiculous and most of the league would laugh.

Again, I agree with most of what you say, that is why I think the Jets can succeed in 2021. Adam Gase has to go though and most likely will.

Footballgod214 and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Gase lost Mosley, Adams, and Bell because they had no interest in playing for him. (Not that those guys are lighting it up elsewhere, thanks Mac.) And pretty much any coach is guaranteed to do a better job than he is.

17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

So instead of bringing in a new unproven coach, you'd rather keep a proven failure? That's nonsensical.

18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You say personnel and I say roster but you want to disagree with me? A new coach is going to inherit a team as is, for better or worse. Forcing everyone to change to fit his "scheme" even if that neuters their ability is a blueprint to failure. It actually sounds like something Gase would do.

You're the one who said that coaches are judged on wins and losses - I agree completely. There is no reason to exempt this season and at its end his record will be 30 - 50, give or take a game or two. Is this anything to defend? Is it anything to warrant another year? The reason things did not get better after Bowles was fired is because the Jets hired an unqualified guy with a losing record. You now say you were against it but after two years of failure you want to go for three?

You don't hire a new coach to go backwards, you hire the right guy to go forward. Once again - Gase was the wrong guy when he was hired and he's the wrong guy today and if you get what you want he'll be the wrong guy next year, but many of us won't be here. Talk about "painful!"

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. westiedog1

The Jets have a talent for hiring the wrong guy so I don't understand why you think hiring another coach next year will make things better. Our disagreement stems from personnel. If Gase had a team of talented experienced players and posted this record, then I'd completely agree with you, he'd have to go. But what he has is just the opposite, a team of such young inexperienced players that they are not expected to win, so the record, to me isn't important. What is important is: are the players still engaged and playing hard for him? From what I saw last Sunday, the answer to that is "yes." So that tells me his coaching is having a positive impact on the players. Of course, we're only at game 10 of the season and it could change as the season draws to an end. If it does, and the players look like they're mailing it in, then I would change my view.

20. westiedog1

To me it's not proven he's a failure. Get him a team of talented experienced players, and if he still can't win, then I will admit he's a failure. No one should be judged based on this current roster.