Burrow is why we need Lawrence

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Oct 18, 2020.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

herbert is better then burrow so far. just saying

Red Menace likes this.
  2. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Well the Belly vs. Brady debate aside. Lets not forget that you can win in the NFL with Bledsoe 2.0. He rifled his way to a Super Bowl and was a hell of a good NFL QB. Most franchises, current Jets included, would happily get in line for Drew 2.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I think if we do get the top pick, and that is still an IF at this point, because Jacksonville may lose out....but if we do get that top pick, and if Lawrence does come out, again, likely but not certain at this point, then I can’t see us passing on him. We would trade Darnold for whatever we can get and move on. Darnold’s record thus far isn’t good enough to prevent that assuming we lose out.

however, if we get the second pick, then to me that’s where it gets interesting

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Burrow showed that crummy teams like us who draft a top QB are one play away from starting Joe Flacco.

If we can get 4 first rounders for JL we damn well better take it.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I mean once again though, you're assuming he would've been a franchise quarterback if in a different situation.

Maybe? Maybe we'll find out? But will you be surprised if he's out of the league in three years? It wouldn't be surprising given that the percentages tell us it's more likely that happens than he turns into Steve Young.

REVISion likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

There's a difference between FQBs and HOF QBs. I never assumed Darnold would be a HOF QB, although at the time, I didn't rule it out either. At this point I can say he won't be a HOF Qb, but I still think he could be FQB with proper coaching and surrounding talent.

ukjetsfan likes this.
  7. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I won't be distraught if the Jets miss out on the top pick, because I've seen a lot of highly touted college QBs become average or worse in the NFL. If we get the top pick I think we have to take him, but if we don't, let's build a line, draft another receiver and see if Darnold can be salvaged.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Sometimes QB's get hurt, that doesn't mean you avoid drafting franchise QB's lol...

The Bengals are probably set at QB for the next 10 years. Burrow getting hurt doesn't change that.

9. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

It absolutely might change that. I'm hearing ACL and MCL tears. It's not the 1980s any more, granted, but players still don't always come back as strong from knee injuries.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

What's your definition of a FQB though? Is Dalton or Stafford really what you're looking for? Or Kirk Cousins?

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Spot on. It's frustrating reading some of the posts on this forum wanting a balanced draft or wanting an Edge or CB high. Our offense is far from set. I think Mims will be great. If Perriman can stay healthy and is back with the team next year, he can be a great contributor. Crowder is a very good slot WR. We still need upgrading in the WR corps, both in terms of another starter and depth, and our TE corps needs overhauling. We need to upgrade at least 3 spots on the OL (RT, and both OG spots) and probably Center as well. Hopefully Clark will develop into a quality, solid starter. In FA and the draft we need to finish fixing the OL this year, or at least seriously upgrade it. Due to McGovern's contract, we may have to hold off fixing the Center spot until 2022, but we could fix RT and OG in the upcoming offseason.

Do we desperately need a great edge rusher, a #1 CB and a stud LB? Definitely! I've been screaming for a stud edge rusher since before we drafted Abraham. To be a complete team and true competitor, we need those defensive positions filled, but they are NOT more important than the QB position and ensuring that the QB develops and succeeds. Lawrence is not a superman or savior by himself. He needs a solid OL to protect him and weapons around him to succeed. Even if we are lucky enough to get Lawrence, if he doesn't develop or gets seriously injured because we drafted defensive players instead of adding weapons around him and fortifying the OL, then he won't help us or will be less effective. We need to learn from past Jets mistakes and not want to keep repeating the same damn mistakes. Even using one high draft pick on a defensive player could be all that it takes to get Lawrence seriously injured or keep him from developing. The Jets need to go overboard with offense in the 2021 draft. It's not a great draft for Edge rushers anyway. The Jets have two 1st round picks in 2022. That is the time they should get their Edge rusher. Even though I understand why some want to draft an Edge in this draft, imo it would not be wise to reach on some potential Edge prospect this year in hopes he could develop into a top edge instead of taking an OL, TE, RB or WR. We need to draft a stud, as close to a sure thing as possible, not reach hoping a guy will develop some moves and become a much better pass rusher in the NFL. A prime example is Zaven Collins. He looks like a great prospect and maybe an Anthony Barr clone. In almost any other circumstance, I would be all about drafting him, but not in 2021. He would be a luxury we can't afford. Whereas I believe that he will be a great LBer in the NFL, and he's very good in coverage, it's questionable at best whether he will ever develop into a topnotch edge rusher, and either way, he's not going to help Lawrence or Fields develop. Initially I wanted to draft him, but no longer. We need to do all that we can to ensure that Lawrence or Fields develop and succeed. The only way I'd be happy with drafting Collins is if we wind up winning a game or two and drafting #3 or #4 in the 1st round and decide to build around Sam. Then I'd be ecstatic with a 1st round of JaMarr Chase and Collins.

matt robinson 17 and REVISion like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

Maybe, but imo unless he fixes his fundamentals, learns to read Ds, learns to throw the ball away, and develops stronger leadership skills, he will never be a top 10 QB and his team will never be a top contender.

Cman68 likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

I think wanting to build around Sam is a pipe dream. Sam doesn't have the right kind of personality or leadership skills to be a topflight QB in the NFL or to lead his team to victory. He's soft mentally. You can blame the CSs all you want (and they certainly deserve to be trashed), but there are things that Sam should know by now and should have fixed (his fundamentals, knowing to throw the ball away, not throw the ball into double and triple coverage, not locking onto receivers) and he should have learned to read NFL defenses by now. That's something he can learn on his own or with help from his offseason QB coach. Even fans learn those things watching games on TV and from the stands. There's no excuse for his not knowing those things by now. I want no part of him on this team. He was a colossal mistake. I took a lot of criticism for questioning him and not liking him before he was drafted, but it's starting to look more and more like I was right about him. TO be crystal clear, I would rather have been wrong and seen him succeed. I have rooted for him and been positive even when others began writing him off, but imo the evidence is clear to see now. He may be able to succeed for a West Coast team or a smaller market team, but not in the Northeast. Deciding to roll with him would set this franchise back another 3-5 years at a minimum, and if we could have taken Lawrence, then we would have missed our opportunity to have a HOF QB.

Lawrence isn't just 10-15% better than Darnold. Darnold is trash at this point. Lawrence has better instincts, he's been a champion and a constant winner. He is a leader, more accurate, more mobile, has a stronger arm. He has a much better pedigree than Sam ever had. There's no comparing the two.

matt robinson 17 and REVISion like this.
  14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Not with the Bledsoe that played for Belichick which is the discussion — Belichick’s impact on QB’s, not whether QB’s who happened to play for him at some point had success in those other points of their career.

15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Most guys come back from ACL's and are fine nowadays. Burrow isn't some 3rd down back whose career relies on being able to cut as quickly as possible. He'll be fine.

16. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Burrow is why we needed Becton over Jeudy

17. NCJetsfan

And even if we had gone WR, Cee Dee Lamb would have been the right pick, not Jeudy.

18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Under the right tutelage, couldn't that be taught? Hey, we both know Darnold was never taught the fundamentals of playing NFL level QB. There was no QB guru or established Vet for Darnold to learn from. Trial and mostly error is what we've been seeing out of the kid. Again, get him with a decent CS, OS and QBC and we might see a completely different QB. Unless its already too late like it was for Sanchez.

19. NCJetsfan

Cman, Darnold has been working with Jordan Palmer for the last 3 years. He is a respected QB guru. If Darnold hasn't learned that stuff by now, he probably never will.

QBs need to be natural leaders. One can learn certain leadership skills or refine them, but I'm not certain that they can be wholly manufactured. Sam just seems like a great kid, but I've seen no passion, no fire, no leadership from him whatsoever.

#199 NCJetsfan, Nov 23, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    HomeoftheJets, JetBlue and REVISion like this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Those guys are not what I would prefer, but I sure would prefer them to Geno, Sanchez, Fitz, McCown, Hackenburg, pretty much almost all Jets QBs going back to O'Brien. I think Darnold had a chance to be as good or better than Dalton and Stafford. Now, it's unlikely.

But here's a question: if guys like Burrow and Herbert are so easy to come by, why haven't the Jets been able to get someone like them? The answer is that it's not so easy. You need a smart GM and scouts to find guys like that, then have the luck to be able to draft them, then have good coaching to groom them properly, and of course at least some talent around them. Even now, when we finally have a GM who I believe knows what he's doing, and the luck to be in a position to possibly draft a "can't miss" QB, we have a HC and CS that couldn't find their asses with both hands.

So to answer your implied question, yes I would take Lawrence and drop Darnold, but if Gase is still the HC it's not going to make much difference. To use your "logic", will you be happy with a team that churns out 6-10, 7-9, 9-7 seasons with an occasional p.o. appearance? Because with Gase that's the best you'll ever get n matter who your QB is.