Sam darnold and why we should keep him (read before you flame)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Well said...

I know the issues around coaching, shitty OL, shitty receivers are labeled as excuses, but you just can’t deny that they are also all TRUE.

and our OL and receivers, and by the way throw in our running game as well, have not just been bad...they’ve been WORST IN THE LEAGUE bad.

look at the other young QBs

Mayfield had OBJ, Landry, Chubb and a strong D
    Allen has Diggs, a strong running game, and a great D
    Murray has Hopkins and Fitzgerald
    Burrow has Mixon and Green (though Green is a shell of his former self I know)

regardless...all of these young guys have support that is WORLDS better than what we have

while they surrounded their young QBs with help, we spent our draft picks on safeties and DTs....we ignored OL and have had the shittiest group of receivers,and we roll with a 37 year old RB who may be a great role model but is no threat to anybody on the field

come on...yes, Sam’s stats suck....worst in the league...but he was thrown into probably THE worst situation in the league, and that’s even without mentioning Gase...who was already a proven failure with a losing record before we even hired him.

those aren’t excuses...and the mistakes he’s made are on him, but there is no way I will believe that had we given him even a SEMBLANCE of support, that he wouldn’t be SO MUCH better.

it may be too late for him here, because if we get the first pick, we HAVE to take TL and hope JD doesn’t make the same mistakes that Mac made with a rookie QB, but I think he’s better than he’s shown here so far.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

There's no way the Jets would be getting a pick for Darnold in 2022 or 2023. The Jets have to decide this offseason if they are going to pick up Darnold's 5th year option. They are not going to pick up that option and pay him $25 million in 2022. I seriously doubt that any team would trade for him then with his being a FA the following season. Since Darnold would be a FA in 2023, there's no way the Jets would get a pick for him.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think he meant the Jets would trade Sam after this season, but the trade would include a pick in 2022 or 2023. At least that is how I read it.

4. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

It’s the same way in college. Jalen Hurts had to transfer because of Tua. Competition can’t be a bad thing for the team, right?

5. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

You don’t care about wins? Wow, you are the truest Jets fan of all times.

6. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean...

fansince90 and stinkyB like this.
  7. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

What DK said

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks. Sorry that I misunderstood. I would be shocked if he was traded for a pick that far away, but if that's what it takes to get a 1st round pick for Sam, I'd gladly take it.

b.reyes16 likes this.
  9. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I don't think it's all that unlikely. Sam is the same age as Joe Burrow--he's still got plenty of time to improve and I see a lot of draft analysts putting him third on their board for draft prospects this year haha. JD has already shown a willingness to trade for future picks if he can get a higher round for them, definitely looking at the long game.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Fields.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  11. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Only way I see us getting a first day pick for Sam is if it's a '22-'23 conditional pick based on him suddenly becoming something other then a back-up on another team.

12. Rockinz

Fields looked terrible today.. Could be Lawrence or stick with Sam and trade back for someone who loves Fields.

stinkyB and azhar80 like this.
  13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Sam is going to end up on the Steelers and become Bradshaw 2.0...... just because....

14. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Only way he stays is if we dont get the num 1 pick...And even then he might still be gone.

15. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

It was one bad game. Sam had plenty of awful games in college too with multiple INTs. I’m not going to write off Fields yet but today he was clearly pressing and made some Sam like decisions and inaccurate throws.

16. Rockinz

Today he looked like Haskins 2.0 and to be honest most Ohio st QBs are busts at the nfl level. I felt Fields had a lot more upside.

17. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

When I think of Ohio State QBs, Art Schlichter immediately comes to mind. A #4 overall pick in 1982, who is among one of the biggest early pick QB busts. Sure Fields had an off game, but do you judge his value on one bad game? Talent aside, the fact he won a game where he and his team significantly underachieved is a plus not to be overlooked.

18. stanblinkasarm

stanblinkasarm New Member

I could see a team ready to win now with an aging QB trading for a veteran on a team looking to rebuild,not trading for Sam. However,I could see Sam going to the team looking to rebuild. As an example,the Colts ,who just beat the Packers,probably have a top 5 OL and Defense,but Phillip Rivers is on his way out. The Lions,who got shutout by the Panthers,should look to trade Stafford. Could Stafford move to the Colts,while Sam replaces him in Detroit,say for a 2 and a 5? Before you laugh,thats what AZ got for Josh Rosen.