States who deserve an NFL Franchise?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Nov 19, 2020.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, N. Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina.

I'd personally love to see all 3 of Alabama, Oklahoma and Iowa one day have NFL Franchises.

Those 3 fan bases are absolutely crazed NCAA college Football and have always believed they've deserved an NFL team; and feel they'd become absolute rabid NFL fans of their teams.

I'd remove the...

Jaguars (awful fan base).

Chargers (L.A fans do not love them all ranked 32nd in fan attendance last year and L.A loves their Rams now)

Texans (mostly all Dallas Cowboys fans to begin with).

In order to make room for Alabama/Iowa/Oklahoma.

NYJetsO12 and joe like this.
  2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Maine/New Hampshire/Rhode Island: aside from the Patriots, 3 tiny media markets? The networks will surely be fighting over the broadcast rights.

Montana: Helena or Billings?? Bright lights, big cities.

Connecticut: will be able to carve away an independent market from NY and NE? Okey...

Alabama/Mississippi: SEC country. Dead on arrival.

You sound like 'Ruin Arledge'

stinkyB likes this.
  3. DefenseWinsChampionships

The only 3 states I believe are deserving is Alabama/Iowa/Oklahoma...

joe likes this.
  4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

You're right. Definitely Iowa.

stinkyB likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

American Samoa. The Samoans love football

NYJetsO12 and stinkyB like this.
  6. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'd feel bad for NFL players who have a fear of heights in a plane, like I do.

9 hours, 57 minutes from Hawaii to FL.
    10 hours, 17 minutes from Hawaii to NY.

lol

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The real question is which states/cities that have NFL franchises are not really up to par and should have them move.

Cincinnati is not an NFL caliber city. Period.

Florida has 3 NFL franchises and should definitely lose Jacksonville. You can make a good argument that Miami is not an NFL town either - with Tampa Bay on the West Coast eating into their market. The Jacksonville fan base gets eaten into by Atlanta and Carolina and the fact that there are two other franchises in Florida.

NY deserves an NFL team but Buffalo is not an NFL city. The Bills have competition for fans in Cleveland and Pittsburgh which depresses long term income significantly.

NJ, come on... NJ has two NFL teams and can support them but neither of them identifies as a NJ team. Realistically one of the NJ teams should move back to Queens...

There are others that are close to the borderline on NFL sufficiency, like New Orleans, Detroit (misplaced in what was a major city but is no more), Arizona and Tennessee.

Detroit should be drawing from a larger cachement as they were in Pontiac. They really should be in a facility that allows them to draw from all across Michigan as opposed to tucked in the SE corner in Detroit. Put them in East Lansing and they draw easily from Detroit, Grand Rapids, both lake fronts (major retiree markets) and also central Michigan.

Tennessee is in the biggest metro area in Nashville and that narrowly gets them a valid NFL market. The problem is the state is flat and E-W and it is hard to draw in crowds from across the state. Tennessee is 432 miles from E to W borders. Michigan's lower peninsula for comparison is only 195 miles wide at it's widest point.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

So. Not being a smart ass. But what 10 cities would you move those franchises to?

9. Br4d

I'd contract Jacksonville and Cincinnati.

I'd reorganize the NFL into 6 divisions and have each team play 8 games in the division, 5 games against the teams that shared their standing in the other divisions last year and 3 games of rivalry interest.

Jets and Giants would not be in the same division but they would play most years anyway - with only previous years in which they were widely separated in the standings excluded. Same for Cowboys and Texans, Steelers and Eagles, the two LA teams, etc.

I believe in the parity schedule and the above would enhance that aspect of scheduling.

10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I don't know why I'm even responding to this dumbfuck thread but..... Jacksonville has the best attendance of the 3 FL teams

Noam, FJF and alleycat9 like this.
  11. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

South Carolina really does not need one, Charlotte is literally on the border of SC hence why they are NOT the NC Panthers.

You left off your list Virginia who I think would need one more so than some of the states on your list. Both the Old Redskins and Raves are Maryland teams.

Many of the the stats that are big NCAA football places does not mean it would translate to pro sports.
    I know it is a different sport but I live in ACC basketball territory and they do not give a shit about that pro bb but more than that even during football season more energy is dedicated to the local college teams.

A Kentucky team could draw from Western Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky and Northern/ Eastern Tennessee. Nashville is not even I the same time zone as Knoxville, Chattanooga and Bristol.
    For those that do not know Bristol is split and in both Va and Tn could be a good landing spot.

#11 Section 336, Nov 20, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  12. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

the nfl is a pretty smart bunch of people. they do market research, they know what areas are the best to put teams. they also have been pushing for a team in london for how many years now? theres a reason there arent teams in those states that dont have teams. its because there is no market for a new team.

virginia is full of redskins fans.
    ct is full of patriots and giants fans

there really are just no markets big enough to sustain a team of the states that you listed. the jacksonville metro area is 1.5 million people. and they still struggle.

to whoever said contract houston, the metro area of houston is 7 million people. thats the 5th largest metro area in the country.

i could maybe see jacksonville to okc but that is a smaller market in okc.

to be honest looking at it, one of those la teams should have moved to the inland empire. thats the outlier here, at 4.5 million people in the metro area its by far the largest without an nfl team and is the 13th largest metro area. i bet the chargers are there or back in san diego within 20 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_statistical_areas

Noam and stinkyB like this.
  13. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

This is the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. Was hoping for a shorter clip, but skip to about 3:28 for the best part.

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  14. stinkyB

Hawai'ians LOVE football.... pretty funny to be there during football season and seeing all the random different jerseys / hats. Yeah, the majority are West coast teams (naturally) but theres a lot of of other randoms (and I'm not talking about Haoles stationed at Schofield ;) But ProBowl finally quit selling out....

Been out there for 2 superbowls (watched David Tyree stick the ball to his head) and when Denver beat Carolina

I was out surfing and heard guys talking about AFCC (and their fantasy teams) and chimed in..... "Ho, you a Broncos fan too??" "Nah, just whoever's playing the Pats!" :D

El Nino winter.... surf was pumping and I was there for 3 weeks :cool:...... came home pretty busted up though

@HAYN (if he's still here)

BrowningNagle likes this.
  15. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Isnt Jaxsonville relocating to London per owner shahid khan liking the idea?

17. Br4d

The assumption since Kahn took over the team was that they would relocate to London, probably to play in a facility to be shared with his Fulham (London) club football team.

The problem is that the economics of having one team in the UK are really sketchy for the NFL. It's ok for a few games every season, effectively exhibitions, but the costs of a fulltime presence in the UK would be fairly heavy.

Also the NFL is in a very different place than when Khan bought the team in 2012. The league really does not want any more sports authorities looking into player health issues than they are already obligated too. The concussion issue may have been the final straw against another UK venture after NFL Europe folded.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. Br4d

Travel costs and time differences. Even Mexico City is a stretch. London is on the edge of sanity and Germany is out of the question. Even assuming the NFL is willing to let other sports and medical authorities into the concussion issue, which they are likely not.

19. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

The logistics of having an NFL team overseas just don't work. Furthermore, focus on domestic markets if you want to add another franchise. The few games a year in London is perfect. It doesn't need to go any further beyond that. Those countries have their main sports and we have ours. I do agree that football crazy states like Alabama or Oklahoma could probably pull it off. Birmingham or Oklahoma City. And even in those markets it's not a guarantee of success. A ton of financial, demographic and population factors go into these type of deals.

20. stinkyB

No. The guy is now deeply vested in a downtown JAX real estate revitalization project on the St. Johns river.... and they added a concert venue connected to the JAGS stadium

alleycat9 likes this.