Fire Justus Galac (Please Pin This Post)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Nov 19, 2020.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Well I kinda was blaming some parties for it, just not you lol

I would suggest if players are juicing then coaches will know or encourage its use.

The NFL should be doing more testing and consequently more bans as well, nobody gets that big and fast naturally, nobody.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

they are in the NFL. That means no one is truly "healthy." Without tape or braces they would not be able to play on Sundays, especially the linemen

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I don't know from an outsider's perspective that the training staff is bad, I think the players are just shitty. When your team has less talent, you are more apt to see injuries. The other teams are better so they impose their will on us.

Also, Mccagnan routinely took chances on players with injury histories in the draft. it stands to reason that they would be hurt more too.

Lastly, if this team was 9-0 and not 0-9, some of the guys on the IR would be playing, even in the same condition they are in.

#43 BrowningNagle, Nov 20, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Girls soccer is coming to grips with heading also. There is a very high concussion rate when adolescent girls head balls. Something about the neck muscles not being strong enough and the head moving too much on contact.

5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Yes, I agree with this.... also will add that the demand (and potential $$) in sports has gotten nuts to the point where in kids it's often a year-long activity, as opposed to "In spring it's baseball, in fall I play football, and winter I play basketball) Sports with different demands, reducing less stress on some areas while creating balance in others.

But in regards to the over muscled dudes, I bet if teams forced a yoga-type (not the douchey namaste type stuff) regime into their workouts it would help reduce injuries, while maintaining core-strength.*

* dont really know shit, but I get hurt alot, still try and go hard at 46, and have stayed at a Holiday Inn express

Noam, NCJetsfan and Since1969 like this.
  6. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

sounds like a good enough reason to fire anyone....

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I can't even remember the last time we disagree about anything, but I do disagree in this instance. I think if they went back to two-way football with minimal equipment, the NFL might not be able to complete a full season. To begin with I don't think there are any, or at least very few players, who are out there trying to hurt others. Players are much bigger, stronger and faster than they were 30 years ago. They train year round instead of for a month right before the season. That puts more strain, wear and tear on their bodies. They get more muscle-bound, and can be less flexible and that can result in injuries. Injuries happen when players are playing not to get hurt or even when there's no contact. I may be wrong, but think Teddy Bridgewater's horrific injury happened without his being touched by a defensive player.

I'm actually surprised that there aren't more serious injuries. You have small, thin, light players like Tarik Cohen, Tyreek Hill, and Robbie Anderson who have stayed pretty healthy when one might think they wouldn't last a month in the NFL. I think the equipment protects them, as do the rules now. Remember back in the '60s and earlier that DL could club OL, QBs, WRs, and RBs in the head or clothesline them. You had the vicious Raiders' secondary and Darryl Stingley getting paralyzed. Our own Dennis Byrd was paralyzed for a while in a freak accident. I truly think if it weren't for the equipment and rule changes, that we'd have had more players paralyzed and maybe some even dying on the field.

Even if players played two ways, there are always substitutes that come into the game that are fresh, and looking to make a name for themselves or win a starting spot. They're still going to hurl themselves like a missile at others, and someone who is tired wouldn't be able to avoid a tackle and could be hurt worse. If they held up, they might miss the tackle, and part of the game is intimidation or to tire/wear out opponents. Injuries are just a part of any physical activity. Even if the NFL went to flag football, there would still be lots of torn ligaments and pulled muscles, and there would be freak injuries.

As it is, I believe that former NFL players die at an earlier age than the general population. If we returned to two-way football and less equipment, players would start dying in their 30s and 40s. IMO many of them wouldn't even make it to their 50s or 60s.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That used to be true, but no longer. Now there are rules at every level prohibiting using the helmet to target or spear opposing players for both players' sakes.

9. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

Game’s a lot more violent, add to that no preseason this year and you have more in season injuries...

10. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I can imagine that this would be a problem in girls soccer, as many girls are quite slender when they are growing up and the impact of heading a ball wouild have a more effect on a player with a small neck

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

As I said, this was based more on nostalgia than reality. Two-way football was played 60+ years ago and the game - and players - have drastically changed, along with the expectations of the fans. I'm sure they could create a form of two-way football, maybe borrowing the rules of contact from rugby and tweaking them - but I doubt NFL fans would watch it. It would be like creating a different version of boxing where you didn't wear padded gloves and couldn't hit above the shoulders. You might call that "boxing" but it isn't what people have come to expect.

When all is said and done I think it falls on the refs to enforce dangerous play, which they currently don't. A big part of that is the league likes the image of a violent, hard hitting game. They might talk about making things safer for the players, but they don't care at all about that. Like the NHL and all the fighting. It doesn't help the game, but it's an image the NHL wants.

As I've said before, if you're a great athlete and could choose any sport to play with the chance to play professionally, you're a fool for picking football, between the lower pay scale and higher chance of serious injury.

twown likes this.
  12. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I'm not talking about spearing or targeting. I'm talking about the natural flow of the game. You don't see running plays up the middle in which the back and the defenders remain upright before impact. Heads are down and often making contact with other heads or body parts. That's the game.

13. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

In addition there seems to be a suggestion that heading practice in training over and over again is the cause of the damage more than what happens in the game.

Regards the helmet debate, I think the amount of protection you have influences how you play. I own a modern car and an old one, I drive them differently... makes sense that would apply re helmets too.

Leicester Jet and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'd rip that 1984 Toyota Corolla around like a maniac too Donkey.

MoWilkBeast and donkey like this.
  15. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

:D

16. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I would just fire everyone in the building from the cleaning crew to the head coach and everyone in between.The guy who packs the equipment has to go to....

17. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

I thought of this solution as well, but in any sport injury is part of playing. It strikes without cause at times. There are hits that could end a career and the player bounces up like nothing happened and a simple drop back like Testeverde can end a season. Rudimentary tackles like the kid at Rutgers can cause paralysis while Burfect got suspended a hundred times for spearheading opponents.
    Not everyone is Ronnie Lott, willing to hit someone who outweighs them head to head(Christian Okoye). Many dbacks are smaller than the players they tackle. When you are running up to someone who has a full head of steam and is visibly you have to make a business decision(Cromartie/Shawn Green, worked out well for Cro).
    The physicality of the game is dwindling. Although it is getting safer for the long term effects it may have on players the immediate impact is causing the sport to lose its appeal to some fans.

IDFjet likes this.
  18. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Well, I'm normally not one to bump threads, but I like to take accountability for my posts and question my own thinking as well. I wrote this last year when injuries seemed to pile up again.

After spending a bunch on a new staff, facility etc., it seems we are yet again struggling more than other teams on the injury front. Not sure if this is really just bad luck, the type of players we are bringing in or how we practice--but it is super frustrating. I'm glad the front office addressed this this year, but early returns are rough.

Let's see how it goes by end of the year....

Noam likes this.
  19. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Its that d bag in your avatar!!!

AHHHHH

(Does line)

FIRE JD!!!

20. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

A what?