Full 2021 Mock Offseason

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Nov 11, 2020.

1. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Agreed.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Ju-Ju would be a good addition, but Crowder is still good and we could sign him to an extension for another 2-3 years, or we could draft a slot WR in the 4th or 5th round area or lower. We definitely have a lot of holes and need help at Edge, CB, RB, OL, TE, and LB. Amari Rodgers (a teammate of Lawrence at Clemson) is a pretty good slot WR and he already has timing and chemistry with Lawrence. I'd rather draft him to back up and maybe replace Crowder, and sign one of the 4 top WRs in FA, but however Douglas does it will be fine with me, as long as he surrounds Lawrence with quality receiving options.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

agreed here. there isn't a "right way" as long as he addresses the offense finally and drafts well and sets up tlaw to suceed, i'm not going to complain. If we do nothing at WR in the offseason though i'll be pretty pissed but I can't see JD refusing to sign or draft a WR high at this point.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

With is being the week before Thanksgiving and 7 games left to be played as we are planning for an offseason of change the first big question is who will be our new head coach and who will be their assistants? Not sure if after probably being fired if these guys would go back to position coaches but some old Jets assistants that interest me if available (probably won't happen but worth looking at):

1. Doug Marron oline: after interviewing for the hc job years ago probably won't happen but was a good line coach for us. (was with Herm)
    2. Anthony Lynn rb: Was with Rex. Seems to be a good leader but not the best hc. Same thing I don't think he comes back but worth a look for a new hc.
    3. Dan Quinn dline: Same as above. Probably won't come back but was dline for Mangini I believe. From Morristown so local guy. Of the three I think he might do it but unlikely.

Anyone else have other even position coaches that could become available worth looking at or would like to see come. My guys I don't think will really happen but you never know.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The staff is just as important as the coach. And that's assuming the head coach allows the assistants to do their jobs. It's John Harbaugh's (Baltimore) biggest strength. He's the CEO of football during a football game and the practice week and doesn't try to be the sales manager or controller during that time.

MoWilkBeast and AJT73 like this.
  6. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Agree. Some of the coaches I mentioned I think take a year off but would be nice additions. Whoever the coach is will pick who is right for them but those hires are just as important. Looking forward to see who else comes with the new coach.

7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

How about we stop the cafeteria staffing model and get the right head coach and let him hire the guys he can best work with? It seems that a big part of the problem today is a head coach who doesn't communicate with anyone, except maybe his little buddy.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Of course any of these guys would be an upgrade over what we have - on paper at least - but have we ever gotten someone from the Steelers, via trade or FA, that didn't do worse as a Jet? I'm at the point that I'm going to assume the Steelers know better than we do who's valuable.

10. GasedAndConfused

i'd love bud dupree. wouldn't mind juju either

joe likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

@MaximusD163 if you have any time tonight watch Zaven Collins for Tulsa. He plays all over the field for them and had a pick in a deep zone but his fit is as an edge rusher. He's unreal and supposedly super smart (pre-med I believe) as he's one of those guys that is instantly good at everything he picks up. 7:30 on ESPN.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

FYI:

https://tulsahurricane.com/sports/football/roster/zaven--collins/9503

https://nflmocks.com/2020/11/16/2021-nfl-draft-zaven-collins-boost/

He'd be a guy I'd use that 2nd first round pick on maybe, even though I want the "O" to get a lot of love. They've needed a stud pass rusher for forever and he might be the guy.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I’ll try to watch a little, I have to watch TNF though for the podcast

14. NCJetsfan

He looks like a good player, but Tulsa's HC, OC, and backup suck. I've never seen a worse QB than that backup. He had the slowest delivery, looked tentative and lost. The third string QB looks a LOT better.

15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

You know what would be great? Drafting players of that caliber on a regular basis. Just think of the WRs the Steelers regularly come up with.

When does Pittsburg draft in the top 5-10? Never.

#135 joe, Nov 19, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    REVISion likes this.
  16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

don’t worry ... we have CJ to help choose them, like he wanted to do for Matt Rhule, because, you know, he knows this shit

17. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Sorry that I'm cafeteria staffing for you. Just throwing out coaches who are good position coaches who could become available. If you read what I said I don't think they'd come but guys who have a good record with their position.

I agree. Hire the right guy then have him bring in the right positional coaches. We could've had Rhule but they wouldn't let him pick his staff. By all means the coach needs to pick his men. That being said like free agents or draft picks we can look at coaches and say they can come here and help. Just putting a few names worth looking at. There are other guys too. Add in any of the three might be good hires too since they have head coaching experience if we hire someone like Brady or Smith who don't.

That being said we don't want a Judge Columbo situation so yes let the head coach hire his men. Sorry to have gone cafeteria staffing model on you.

18. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Drives me crazy that Mac and CJ were going to hire a coaches staff. Definitely suggest but let them do what they want. Mac as gm can help guide etc. Owner. Seriously. Especially someone like CJ. You write checks. You don't know football. Let the coach and gm do their thing. Imagine if they let him. Maybe we still have Mac (maybe only good thing to come from Gase, we'll see) but we'd have Rhule (in year one but has the potential to be a great coach) and Rhule appears to have built a good staff. Instead two miserable years of football with the no fun Adam Gase. 7 more games to decide if he gives us a second gift.

19. NCJetsfan

I now think that Rhule would have been a good HC for us, but don't think he would have been as successful here as in Carolina. For one thing, he wouldn't have Joe Brady as his OC. Some of his other position coaches and his DC might not have been available, either, and the ones he chose instead might not have been as good. For certain he wouldn't have had steady Teddy Bridgewater at QB or Christian McCaffrey at RB. Timing is everything.

Even though the timing was unusual, we probably wouldn't have Douglas as our GM if the timing had been different. Earlier in the offseason, the Eagles weren't letting anyone talk to him. It was only after the draft, that they relented to let the Jets talk to him. As much as it scares me and I hate to say it, we may not have had him if it weren't for Adam Gase. That scares me because he might feel really beholden to Gase, and might feel/think that Gase deserves another year or two with better talent. If they are friends, he might put his friendship above what's best for the team (not intentionally, but be blinded by loyalty). That would be the only scenario that would cause me to want Douglas fired.

Anyway, back to the HC job, we just have to hope that Douglas does want to fire Gase and hire his own HC, that the Johnsons will hand over the reins to him, and that he will make the right hire. Out of all this tumult, dissension, calamity, and stupidity of 2020, we might finally get the right GM/HC combo that will turn things around for us and take us to glory.

#139 NCJetsfan, Nov 20, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    AJT73 likes this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

yeah they draft great at front 7 and WR but are bad at drafting CBs. They also got lucky with ben falling to them at 11 most draft classes ben wouldn't have fell that far. before that they had some awful QB play. even with that they are a great organization who knows how to run a football team. Wish the jets were more like them. and the rooneys actually care