Mets Regular Season thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Apr 9, 2012.

1. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Yeah, accepting the offer was pretty much a no-brainer for him, given that he had nothing to point to for any new team. I just heard the interesting statistic that Lugo, Matz, Wacha, Porcello, Betances and Gsellman accounted for almost 35% of team innings with an ERA of 6.82, which explains how a team with the performances they got from deGrom, Cano, Smith, Conforto, and Diaz (Peterson, Nimmo, and McNeil also weren't bad, and even Alonso finished third in the league in home runs in a bad season) could finish last in the division. If Alderson is able to throw money at good #3-#4 starters / middle relievers, a catcher, and maybe a third baseman, the Mets could actually be good very quickly.

2. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

I honestly think we will sign Bauer.

dawinner127 likes this.
  3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Me too. Considering Thor won't be around for the beginning of the season this would be a terrific signing.

Bauer with one of DJLM, Springer or Realmuto.

Please and thank you :)

Red Menace likes this.
  4. statjeff22

I could see the Mets going for James McCann at catcher.

I wouldn't object at all to Bauer in blue and orange, but I would also fervently hope that some of de Grom's classiness could rub off on him. I think he's a world-class jerk.

5. NYGalPal

I actually would prefer McCann. I feel like the money that would go to JT would be better served elsewhere.

6. statjeff22

The issue with McCann is that you worry what is real - he was quite terrible his first four seasons, so can we trust his performance the last two years as the real one?

Here's a much more interesting acquisition from my point of view. Theo Epstein just resigned from the Cubs - how about bringing him in as President of Baseball Operations? He has said that he doesn't plan to be working for a team in 2021, but if we're talking about Sandy Alderson versus Theo Epstein as President of Baseball Operations, to me it's a complete no-brainer. I'll take the Sox/Cubs hex-breaker every time. I would actually be somewhat encouraged if they don't hire a big-time GM this off-season for that reason, allowing Epstein to pick his own guy if he wants to.

7. NYGalPal

Theo has made this comment.

[​IMG]

If MLB want to add more action/contact without messing with the integrity of the game they really should get rid of the shift. Let people field their position and stay there. Also do something about Analytics. I think it’s changed baseball and not for the better. That’s the one thing about Cohen press conference that made me a little eh. As the Mets & other teams are gonna dive further into it.

I’ve been reading a lot about baseball entertainment this & entertainment that and that makes me a little nervous. Entertainment value should happen organically and not based on manipulation. I honestly think they have been messing with the balls....what’s next? The worst thing that can happen to baseball is you watching it and you feel like situations are being manipulated to occur.

8. NYGalPal

So stupid! His second time being caught anyway. This is actually good news for the Mets. Just freed up $24M

dawinner127 likes this.
  9. statjeff22

Wow, I guess maybe Cano's sudden comeback this year was less inexplicable than it might have seemed. Put McNeil back at second and go another way in the outfield?

10. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Is anyone really surprised? Look at what the Mets knew when they acquired him: (1) his best buddies on the Yankees were A-Rod and Melky Cabrera; (2) one of his employees was implicated in the Biogensis scandal (like Peyton Manning having HGH shipped to his wife?); and (2) he was popped for PEDs while in Seattle.

The Mets aren't really off the hook with this guy. True, they don't have to pay him for 2021 (a $24 million savings), but they do have to pay him $24 million for 2022 and 2023. MLB doesn't allow teams to void the contract of a player suspended for PED use. I wasn't disappointed when the Yankees let him walk.

#9730 Since1969, Nov 18, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  11. dawinner127

Hopefully he gets popped one more time and its a life ban right?

stinkyB likes this.
  12. statjeff22

The rumors about LeMahieu are pretty funny. I don't see it happening - I still think the Yankees are the favorites to (re-)sign him.

13. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Maybe Cashman is afraid to give LeMahieu top dollar because he doesn't strike out enough!

But seriously, if Cohen wants to make a statement, a good way to do it would be to outbid the Yankees for a player the Yankees want to retain.

14. statjeff22

Except the rumors are that LeMahieu would give the Yankees a home-team discount. Not something you normally expect the Yankees to need to get a player!

15. dawinner127

They would probably have to give him 5 for 100-110 to make it happen. If I remember hearing correctly Passan says most teams want to keep it around 4 years with DJLM

16. statjeff22

17. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

I think LeMahieu would be the next Jason Bay, the Yankees are the only team that can get that performance return

18. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

I could not agree less. Players need to adjust their swing and the shift falls apart. Stubborn mules like Mark Teixeira deserve to be embarrassed hitting into the shift 9 out of 10 times

stinkyB likes this.
  19. statjeff22

I agree. I find the complaining about the shift ridiculous - if it hurts you that much, bunt the ball or hit ground balls down the third base line a few times and they'll have to put the third baseman back there. Ted Williams very carefully analyzed that he was better off still pulling the ball against the Boudreau shift, but that was because he was just that great a hitter. These guys are too egotistical, and not talented enough, to adjust, and they deserve what they get. The real problem is that managers don't have the guts (or power) to sit them down until they put their pride aside and do what is actually best for the team.

20. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

How do you all feel about Luis Rojas coming back as our skipper? I'm kinda on the fence. It was a shortened season but some of
    his decision making were head-scratchers.