TANKATHON - Jets & Jaguars Tank Bowl (What to Root for)

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by Brook!, Sep 27, 2020.

1. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

One could argue Cimini is pulling this information out of his butt. Why would JD tell Cimini his plans for an off season that is still months away with a lot to be determined such as draft position, where exactly college players are expected to fall in regards to the draft, and FAs To be determined?

If JD really plans on targeting defense that would most likely mean he plans on sticking with Darnold as his QB and harvesting some big returns on his trade of what should be the #1 pick. And that would be a HUGE risk.....

IMO if the Jets have the #1 pick JD is drafting Lawrence. And he’s going to add playmakers following that......we have all seen what happens to a promising talent at QB with a bare cupboard.

Cimini is more wrong than right....

2. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Look, Cimini has covered the Jets for 30+ years. He has more contacts than we do combined.

He may be right or wrong but he's not a liar.

Ralebird likes this.
  3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

And that’s the problem

the stadiums are empty not because fans are staying away but because of COVID

if we had an open stadium half full of booing fans making it really obnoxious, Gase might already have been fired. But with no fans making it ugly, CJ is clueless

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  4. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

The draft looks a bit thin at the top for defensive players. If Douglas wants to burn all the late rounders on D then it’s fine by me but I wouldn’t be using the first three picks on it (QB, WR, OG?) unless some special pieces fall.

As much as I’d like to cut Pierre Desir on the field, there’s no point drafting a QB and then making your only O investment a new stationary bike for Perriman.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Why would the Jets have to trade Darnold this year? And where do you keep getting these multiple (unnamed) bidders?

JetsKickAss likes this.
  6. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

That SoS the rest of the way is the reason though that if the Jets do win a game, they still have a shot at the number 1.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  7. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

It's officially nail-biting time... the next 2 games could very well cement or ruin their chances for the #1 pick. The Jets could catch either or both of these 2 teams having a bad week and poof there goes the Trevor sweepstakes. If they can secure L's the next 2 weeks and Jax beats the Browns we can all breathe easier.

8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I am really scared about this week's game. It is a game we stand a great chance if winning and a game that we must lose. A loss Sunday and maybe we can stop holding our breath and exhale a little bit. We will need a buffer and some wiggle room going into the last two games of the season. We really need SD to beat us badly.

Jets79 and Brook! like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Mel Kiper's wrong more than he's right, but he has 50% of the top 10 players as defensive players (a LB, 2 CBs, a S, and a DT) and 10 of the top 25 as defensive players (2 more DTs, a DE, another CB and an ILB). Hopefully, some of the teams that have been drafting offensive players when we've drafted defensive players will need to take some defensive players, and that will allow some offensive players we like and need available to drop to Seattle's pick and to our second round pick.

I'm hoping for QB, WR/TE or Etienne, and WR/TE/OG/Najee Harris. As long as all three are offensive players, I should be happy.

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Drafting Trevor or Fields is SUCH a Mike McCagnan move.

Trading that pick to surround Sam with the type of weapons we've all dreamed about is how a true GM builds a team through the draft.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  11. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

How often do teams trade out of the number one pick?

JetsKickAss likes this.
  12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Any GM that already has a FQB and wants to surround him with talent and weapons. Comes down to TL on a team that's void of playmakers, or SD on a team that's locked and loaded. Joe's decision is not as one sided as you think.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  13. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

think if we remain at #1 or #2 in the draft it will be fine......certainly will be able to parlay the pick into multiple pieces.

At this point i am leaning towards retaining Darnold. His extension won't break the bank and IF the team improves enough - inserting a veteran QB at the right time (if necessary) might just be the ticket.

14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I showed up to my parents house to start the 4th qtr of the JAGS game..... Dad on the couch "Can you believe the JAGS are winning?!?"..... I smiled instantly, but then responded "I guarantee they blow it with a few minutes left..." damn

Brook! and Noam like this.
  15. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I’m not saying he’s lying - I’ll say he’s wrong. Just because JD’s first two picks last draft were offense doesn’t necessarily mean he’s switching gears for this draft. This coming draft tilts offense early and with 6 picks in the top 100 or so I can’t see a defensive themed strategy - not with the lack of playmakers and unfinished business up front.

Thats not saying every single pick will be offense....but you get my drift.

16. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

If we end up with the first pick and end up trading Sam for let's say, a 2 and a 5, that gives us Two 1s, two 2s, and two 3s in the next draft. Might get killed for saying this, but I already said that I would not be mad if all 6 picks are used on offense. Lawrence, RB, WR, TE and 2 interior OL with first 6 picks. If we draft Lawrence and don't do EVERYTHING POSSIBLE to ensure his success in year 1, then we are just doing everything we've done in the past to help ruin our young QB. Chad loved Coles so what did we do? Traded him. Sanchez has 3 solid WR that he had chemistry with during the AFC Title game run and we let them all go and let the O line deteriorate. Sam has chemistry with Robby and we let him walk and gave him poor coaching and a poor O line his first 3 years.

I don't care if we lose every game 38-35 next year, the number one goal is building a sustainable offense and giving Lawrence every chance to succeed. Use Free agency, later draft and 2022 to build the defense. Don't wait to give Lawrence weapons and kill a year of his development. Do it early and often.

17. NCJetsfan

I will be absolutely shocked if Douglas trades down and goes with Sam. He has zero reason to. A bunch of draft picks don't equal a generational FQB. Sam has not proven that he can play well consistently or that he can stay healthy. Sam was drafted by Mac, and Douglas owes him nothing. Douglas' career will be judged on what he does. Do you really think he's going to go with a QB who can't read Ds, whose mechanics are a mess, who has regressed, who makes bad decisions, and who can't stay healthy? IMO going with Sam would be foolish in the extreme, would waste cap space, and would blow the opportunity to really turn things around here. That would be so SOJ status quo way of doing things. Nothing would change and get any better, and Douglas would go down as yet another incompetent hire by the Jets. If he does that, he will be laughed out of the NFL, and the NFL should just fold this franchise.

#677 NCJetsfan, Nov 16, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    jilozzo, KY Jets Fan, Gremlin and 2 others like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

Spot on! It's really sad that not all posters can see this. They haven't learned one freaking thing from the history of this franchise. Some posters are advocating for the same things they have criticized Mac and Idzik for. It's simply unbelievable!

19. NCJetsfan

A "source" with the Jets could have "leaked" the information, but it seems awfully early to have started doing that.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  20. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Trading the #1 pick, with what EVERY expert says is a once in a generation talent in the most important position in sports is about as stupid a decision as any franchise in the history of sports could make. That would have been like the Cavs trading the 1st pick when LeBron entered the draft. Like you said NC, if that happens just go to 31 teams in the NFL and eliminate the Jets from existence.