Harbaugh = Instant Credibility

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by KY Jets Fan, Nov 5, 2020.

?

Would you want Harbaugh?

1. Yes

57 vote(s)
    56.4%
  2. No

44 vote(s)
    43.6%
  1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I got ya, but for me I need to see him blow chunks when we have a full squad and a healthy QB. He hasn't had that yet. At least not here. We know he can coach his ass off when he has good players (ask Payton Manning who highly recommended him), but lets see how he does with an average squad, which he'll get a chance to after our bye week assuming Sam is back and healthy.

2. Footballgod214

Well if you're right, then we'll have Trevor Lawrence under center for the next decade and a half!

3. Footballgod214

DAMMIT!!! I've been found out.

K'OB likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Compare their career W/L records. Not even close.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Gase was the OC not the HC in Denver. He may actually be a good OC but he's a bad HC.

The primary problem with his head coaching is that he doesn't actually act as a head coach on the sidelines. He acts like an offensive coordinator, burying his head in the play sheet, calling plays and communicating mainly with the QB on the sidelines. This is likely one of the reasons his teams get blown out so often. Teams need their head coach present and accounted for and driving the effort across the board on game day.

The Jets have been a better team with Loggains calling the plays. Gase has been forced into a more accountable role as the head coach on game days by that change.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Yeah, so what happened with the guarantee? He was another "sure thing." He would have been another instant franchise quarterback, if the term had been invented then.

There are no sure things - the draft remains a gamble; sometimes with very high stakes.

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Except his plays suck, so there's zero chance he's actually a good OC.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. Footballgod214

Thats my #1 gripe about Gase. He's NEVER rah-rah on the sidelines. I really miss Rex running up and down yelling at the refs and chest bumping his men.

9. Br4d

I prefer the head coach who keeps his cool most of the time but makes players leaving the field walk by him so he can give them a good kick in the pants if they need it.

That would be the Bill Parcells - Bill Belichik approach.

10. Footballgod214

Todd Bowles bugged me too....he always stood there stoic, looking straight ahead...no expressions whatever happened on the field. I can count on one hand the times he yelled at a player.

Leicester Jet, Br4d and Ralebird like this.
  11. DefenseWinsChampionships

At least our players loved playing for him and actually had a good time while doing so.

I honestly can't remember a time where any of our players actually looked, happy since Gase arrived; heck Jamal wanted out immediately and CJ Mosley outright quit on him.

12. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

I would be actually excited if Harbaugh was the hire (not a usual state I find myself in as a Jets fan).

I'm not giving a damn for credibility just a shred of hope would be nice after the Gase years.

13. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

.... while his team committed another penalty or boneheaded mistake.

Sure, Rex was able to get people to play. That's not a small thing. And he was a first class defensive mind. Shutting down the Patsies three weeks after they hung a 45 burger on him was just one of his impressive defensive accomplishments.

But he was over emotional, undisciplined, and couldn't coach a complete team. The offense continually regressed, he could never figure out the QB position, and he just abdicated one side of the ball. You can never be good as a head coach that way. His team was just at likely to lose to anybody as they were to beat anybody. Dangerous, but never consistent.

It was fun but he wasn't the guy, he needed to go, and his time in Buffalo proved it wasn't a fluke.

14. Br4d

Bill James had this theory that in baseball the best manager to follow a disciplinarian was a nice guy liked by his players. His study however cautioned that the effect was temporary, never lasting more than a couple of years before play fell off. He thought the right way to do it was just to have a boss in the dugout whom everybody knew was the boss and deal with interpersonal problems by trading away players who could not handle that.

In general in football and baseball most guys are motivated by professional fear not pats on the back and smiles.

15. DefenseWinsChampionships

Reminds me of a scene of one of my top 5 movies All-Time...

Br4d and Footballgod214 like this.
  16. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Bring Harbaugh
    Draft Lawrence or Fields
    Sign a couple offensive weapons
    Sign a decent pass rusher
    Sign a #1 true WR

Instant credibility

HomeoftheJets and Footballgod214 like this.
  17. Footballgod214

Instant credibility only lasts until our first 2 game losing streak.....and then the Fire Harbaugh banners come out!

Brook! likes this.
  18. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I'm on board for letting Br4d run this franchise, top to bottom. Just tell me where to sign the petition.

Dierking and Brook! like this.
  19. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Br4d is royalty of this board and I will gladly sign the petition. Pair him with @MaximusD163 and @Jonathan_Vilma as Assistant GM's and make @WW85 head of college scouting we will be a winner in no time,

Dierking and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  20. Footballgod214

So basically coaching players is just like raising kids? Tough but fair! Dont wanna be the 'easy' parent the kids walk on....dont wanna be the 'bad cop' parent kids hide from. Tough but consistant and fair seems like the best path.

Br4d likes this.