Sam darnold and why we should keep him (read before you flame)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Nov 10, 2020.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I think now is a good time to discuss darnold and the future of this team.

As it stands now darnold is in year 3 of his 4 year rookie deal. he is set to count around 10mil against next years cap. he's also only 23 years old despite being in year 3. The jets for 2021 sit around 84 mil in cap space with roll over assuming the caps bottoms out to 175 mil as expected due to covid. I'd also add in another 8 mil for henry anderson being cut bringing us to around 92 million.

Sam is an asset regardless. and keeping him under contract for 2022 only benefits us. JD has to make this decision in the next few months and he should absolutely pick up the 5th year option which will be around 25 million for 2022. that gives us contorl over sam for 2 more years.

Assuming we get the 1st overall pick and then take lawerence which makes sense, this offers us flexibility. If we can move sam on draft day for a 2nd rounder it's worth doing it and the other team we trade him to knows they have him locked in for 2 years making it more viable then being on the final year. If his value isn't high enough it gives us the rivers/brees situation where sam can start 1 more year in 2021. It allows a few things to happen.

1) lawerence gets to sit for a year and learn the new offense with a new HD
    2) the players get to learn the system, the rookies get a year experiance
    3) it gives sam the ability to increase his trade value

If sam plays well, we could land a mid to late 1st rounder for him, if he doesn't we could still move him for a mid round pick

in 2022 we have 2 1sts plus our 2nd and 3rd adding in another premium pick could be huge. The o-line should be built by then and we'll have more talent for Tlaw to step into.

If for some reason JD can get a 2nd or better for sam this offseason, we can still sign a vet for tlaw to sit behind for a year (maybe bring back fitz?) and we'll have 6 picks in the top 3 rounds to start building a team.
    The idea of keeping sam and taking his option allows us flexibility so when tlaw does play, he has a decent team around him and isn't going to get thrown to the wolves like we did to sam.

fansince90, BomberJet and Noam like this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Sam has been ruined by Gase and needs a change of scenery. Did wonders for Fitz, Bridgewater and a few other NFL players that suffered under Gase's rule.

3. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

1. I think it’s too much drama for a young QB to take another young QBs job
    2. If he needs a mentor like back up, it shouldn’t be a 22 year old failed experiment.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I've floated this idea myself before, but there are several concerns:

1. Until Gase is gone, Gase is still the HC and we know for certain that he won't improve Darnold, and will likely make him worse so there is no good that can come from keeping Sam under Gase.
    2. Darnold may already be unsalvageable, at least here on the Jets. In any case, it will take a lot of time and effort to fix him - is this something the Jets want to invest $25 million in? I doubt it. Moreover, it may be that Darnold just wasn't good enough, and no amount of "rehab" will fix that. This is something I've resisted accepting, and I can't say I have accepted it, but it is a possibility. If true, Douglas will definitely not want to keep him.
    3. He might be injured. That shoulder injury may be much worse than we thought, and may require surgery, and even surgery may not fix it. Every time I see the replay of that Denver hit on him it makes me want to scream - where the fuck was the RTP penalty, and even a suspension?!!!

If these concerns are addressed/resolved, then I think it's a good idea to keep him, but I would also look to get him to sign a new contract at a lower salary if that's allowable under the CBA.

SOJAZ, REVISion and Noam like this.
  5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Sam would have to play lights out the rest of the season to be worth a 2nd. Nothing at this point is going to make Sam worth a 1st.

6. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Seven games to play.

With MCP as the starting wideouts and pass protection close to what we saw last night, there's a lot that can happen. Not much reason to worry about it before January.

7. GasedAndConfused

can't leave off tannehill. I hope we trade him to the NFC. he'd do nice with the vikings or saints IMO

Cman68 likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

1) true but I think it's safe to say he will be gone after this year. I can't imagine us keeping him. his 6-2 finish last year brought him another season plus the 80-90mil dead cap we had on IR was insane. he has no excuse this year or reason to keep him
    2) he'll never see that 25 mil from us most likely. even if we move him for a late pick. if he was to be paid 25 mil to back us up, it's worth the risk but i'm sure we can move him. we have cap room and cap room doesn't win games. no reason not to use it. the 25 mil secures an asset that can be flipped and helps us not throw Tlaw into the fire
    3) yeah i have no clue why he is playing. he's clearly hurt. he doens't have the zip he normally does. and that's his best asset is his ability to make insane throws. with an injured arm he doens't provide us anyhting. if he was more like an old broken peyton maning where his asset is his brain i could see us playing him. as far as RTP refs don't seem to protect bad Qbs. only the good ones

9. GasedAndConfused

we still have gase and gase sucks. also the pats suck. our scheudle is full of much better teams even with MCP in and flacco playing well. only possible win i see is week 17 against the pats

10. Cant stay healthy. End of story.Maybe change of scenery fixes it.But cant build around someone who never plays

fansince90, jco2007, tomdeb and 3 others like this.
  11. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I don't care about wins. I'm saying we might finally have a chance to watch Sam play with an NFL-level offense. It's fine to speculate, but a lot can change between now and the end of the season in terms of how we evaluate Sam.

stinkyB and Footballgod214 like this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

true but the way I see it is sam playing well just ups his trade value. unless we don't get the top pick, I don't see us passing on Tlaw sadly.

13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

It worked well for the Chargers when they drafted Rivers but kept Brees as the starter where Brees had a breakout year before getting injured. But, I agree that was a very rare scenario. Sam could serve as a starter to start the season and finish it as a backup or be a backup all year. If we do not get good value for him it is not bad keeping him one year but exercising the 5th year option sounds very risky to me.

#13 Noam, Nov 10, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  14. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

If Jameis Winston can do 5 years, so can Sam

don’t overthink it

onefanjet and azhar80 like this.
  15. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

neither one of those guys played for gase

jco2007, Cman68 and zace like this.
  16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

We're not getting Trevor Lawrence. Now what?

fansince90 and azhar80 like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No flames, but I disagree about signing him to the extension [EDIT: I mean picking up the 5th year option]. That's just plain nuts imo. For starters, if we can't trade him, we're stuck with the cap hit and that limits what Douglas can do in FA to upgrade the team. Second, and perhaps most importantly, the team that signs him will want to sign him to a new contract themselves. At this minute, he isn't worth $25 million a year. Signing him to the extension could keep the Jets from being able to trade him, and that's not a risk worth taking.

I'm fine with not trading him during the offseason and seeing if the new CS can "fix" him. If so, then the Jets can showcase him during TC and quite possible trade him prior to the trade deadline. Who knows? Maybe we get lucky for once, and a contender's starting QB goes down with a serious injury and we get a much higher pick or picks for Sam. Even if they kept him for the entire season, some team signing him, might result in our getting a good compensatory pick, but there's no way on God's green earth that they should sign him to an extension.

#17 NCJetsfan, Nov 10, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    amuck57, SOJAZ and REVISion like this.
  18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

But the option year seems to be more like 35 million than 25 for Darnold. That's not even on the board for any team. The thing is that Darnold has not put himself in any place to negotiate; his performance has relegated him to not earning much more than he is on his rookie contract.

The solution is to not let him get to the option year but to sign him to a new contract before the May deadline for the option and save both money and cap space. I see the value in keeping him around for a while to take the pressure off whoever is drafted so neither the new guy nor the Jets need to force him onto the field before he is ready. Unless something really strange happens I don't see Darnold's value changing much in the next two years.

19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Footballgod214 likes this.
  20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

That is also a worry but some times you wonder if they have exaggerated an injury to keep him out of the team after a very bad game?

ukjetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.