TANKATHON - Jets & Jaguars Tank Bowl (What to Root for)

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by Brook!, Sep 27, 2020.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

I have no idea who Trevor grew up liking but I'd imagine as a kid born in Tennessee but raised in Georgia that he'd either root for the Tennessee Titans or Atlanta Falcons.

As of right now we don't have to worry about the Bengals because they've got a record of 1-5-1. That Cincy tie, means NYJ must win 2 games before passing Cincinnati.

Jets 0-7.
    @
    Chiefs 6-1.

Vikings 1-5.
    @
    Packers 5-1.

Giants 1-6.
    vs.
    Buccaneers 5-2.

And the other remaining 1 win teams the Jaguars and Texans both have bye weeks this weekend.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  2. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

The Jaguars are the team that really scares me. The Giants have a new coach and are actively trying. Idk whats up with Minnesota but I would assume they haven't fully given up.

REVISion likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You're right about the Jets lousy history with QBs, but it is NOT "luck", it's almost by design, although more accurately just by lack of attention to the most important position on a football team. Since Namath - and post Werblin/Ewbank - QB has been an afterthought with the Jets. They just have never valued them as THE #1 piece in the puzzle. Much here has been written about Maccagnan's famous belief that OL were essentially a dime a dozen and not worth any real investment, but the corollary to that belief was that QBs weren't much more important. His "trading up for Darnold" was A) likely a mandate given him, and B) was pure luck that Darnold fell to him because the wide belief was that Darnold would be taken #1 overall. More than their current shitty situation of failure for the past 10 years, if I were Lawrence, I'd be more concerned about the Jets "legacy" of failing their QBs.

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Trev grew up a Falcons fan, I’m not worried about the Falcons getting the first pick but I’d be worried about them if Trev tried to Eli his way from the team with first pick if they are close. Still think he plays for whatever team holds the first pick, hopefully the Jets.

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I know there may be a shit ton of threads on this after the season ends, BUT if we end up drafting 3rd or 4th, and JD decides to stick with Sam, we could be a LOT worse off. Say Geno or Hackenburg is our current QB. Yikes. Having Sam is NOT a terrible place 2b. JD will know exactly how he needs to build the team, oline, WRs, etc with Sam going forward if that's the direction he's forced into.

Trevor Lawrence would be a fun direction, but it's not like we're in a 'Trevor or a decade of gloom' scenario.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  6. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

The jags are our biggest competition for the pick IMO--it's quite possible they lose out. The other teams have enough ammo to pull out a win or two.

We stand a very good chance of winning the NE games. they are playing horrible right now and if they lose to the Bills they are going to purge.

Here is Jacksonville's schedule

vs[​IMG] Houston (This week might be their only shot)

@[​IMG] Green Bay LOSS

vs[​IMG] Pittsburgh LOSS

vs[​IMG] Cleveland LOSS

@[​IMG] Minnesota MAYBE--this one is a win win for us

vs[​IMG] Tennessee LOSS

@[​IMG] Baltimore LOSS

vs[​IMG] Chicago LOSS

@[​IMG] Indianapolis LOSS unless Indy can rest starters

So only two games in their schedule look favorable....we will need to lose out I think.

KY Jets Fan and barfolomew like this.
  7. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Fucking Jags never go away. Never. Shut that fucking franchise down. Always picking in Top 5 except the year they went deep in playoffs

8. DefenseWinsChampionships

As of recently, yes but believe it or not during their 26 NFL drafts they've only picked within the top five 8 times. Damn. I was in Elementary School PS100 5th grade when the Jaguars/Panthers entered the league; feels like yesterday. Crazy to think since coming into the league they've made the playoffs 7x (same amount of times as our Jets have made the postseason dating back to 1995).

barfolomew likes this.
  9. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

This may not sit well with a lot of you guys, but if we get the number one pic, I'm in favor of trading down getting a haul of picks, the jags come to mind and surrounding darnold with weapons and a functioning oline. We swap the number one pick for the jags two first rounders ( one early and one late) and their two second rounders (they both seem to be early second at this point). That would leave us picking 3 times in the first and three in the second this year as well as twice in the first next year. We can build a team that way. We can draft some suppossed studs and we will have a ton of cap space. We can do a lot to make darnold work with all those picks and all that money.

10. Brook!

No. Sam ain't special. Give me Lawrence and move on. Sam is Andy Dalton or Matthew Stafford at most. Nothing special. Can't win with him.

11. barfolomew

I think we can win with him woth the right coach and a massive draft haul and free agency.

12. Brook!

I wish I could trust him as much you did but I just don't see it. He just isn't smart with the ball in his hand. He makes too many boneheaded moves.

13. barfolomew

Yeah, i acknowledge those. I think the root issue of many of those, is his poor coaching. He gets rattled, gets hit a lot and then does some stupid shit you know?

ColoradoContrails and Brook! like this.
  14. DefenseWinsChampionships

I agree.

It's sad to say but after 6 years Matt Leinart had almost an identical career QB Rating as Sam Darnold's current career QB Rating (which is trending downward).

I hate to lump players into which schools they played for before coming out but there is seriously something weird about these USC QBs who come into the league with so much hype before ending up struggling on an NFL level before busting out.

The only NFL QBs that USC has sent into the league over the past 20 years are Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart, Matt Cassel, Cody Kessler, Matt Barkley, John David Booty and Sam Darnold and all of them (outside of Carson Palmer) have all been absolute trash.

I could be wrong. I could be extremely wrong. I rarely follow that Conference but something about USC QBs disgust me to the point of not wanting to draft them anymore.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  15. Jetsin2029

Jetsin2029 Member

Dalton and especially Stafford are much better than Sam. Darnold is a bottom 5 QB

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

You forgot The Sanchize !!

17. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

With the endorsement $$$ at stake, I have to think Trevor's agent wants either the NYJ or Dallas.

You think Jerry Jones isn't salivating at getting Trevor for 5 years at a total cost of $35 MM which is what he has to pay Dak for 1 year ?

18. Footballgod214

I'd be fine with this.

I'd be more fine if we JUST MISSED Trevor and didn't want to trade the farm to move up, or Fields (next QB) isn't rated as highly, forcing JD to stick with Sam. JD could still trade out of the #2 pick, say down to #10, and pick up a cpl 2nd round picks like the colts did with us.

If that's that plan, I really hope JD seriously beefs up our oline, center, guards. A GOOD blocking TE too.

We'll NEVER know what we have in Sam (or any QB) until we can protect him longer than 1.03 seconds per snap.

barfolomew likes this.
  19. Footballgod214

FWIW, Pats just lost to the Bills, now sitting at 2-5. How insanely sad would it be if Bellicheck gets Trevor?

20. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

It's looking like 2 more 1 win teams will win today (Min and Cin) barring another miracle comeback by Rodgers. Next week is the toilet bowl between Hou and Jax so that leaves the Hou/Jax loser and the Giants as tank contenders along with the Jets for the #1 pick. How cool would it be for the Giants to beat Tom Shady tomorrow and nearly secure the #1 pick for the Jets?