Official Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ray Lucas, Oct 22, 2020.

?

Our Next Head Coach

Poll closed Nov 5, 2020.
  1. Eric Bieniemy

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Arthur Smith

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Greg Roman

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Jim Harbaugh

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Joe Brady

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Other (Please Explain)

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ray Lucas

Ray Lucas Well-Known Member

Greg Roman - Currently the Baltimore Ravens OC and architect of the Lamar Jackson offense. He was also the brain behind the 49ers offense when they had Alex Smith and then the Colin Kaepernick Superbowl team. Roman is also a Jersey dude who knows the NY/NJ area who undoubtedly would be able to handle the pressure. Probably my #1 choice

Arthur Smith - OC of the Tennessee Titans and the best offense in the NFL. Titans shocked everyone last year with their run in the postseason and ironically enough this team actually looks even better on the offensive end due to Ryan Tannehill taking a MVP level next step. Hard to believe he was once to be thought of as trash in Gase's Miami "offense" just imagine what he can accomplish with Trevor Lawrence and weapons.

Eric Bieniemy - Probably the hottest head coaching candidate of the last couple years. OC of the Kansas City Chiefs historical Superbowl winning offense partnered with Patrick Mahomes. We know KC has a plethora of weapons but Bieniemy still deserves a ton of credit for his schemes and coaching towards players strength's. As a Jets fan we all know coaching matters and talent alone can only get you so far. Mahomes is amazing but Bieniemy and his offense deserves credit too

I think it's obvious after we go either 0-16 (please) or 1-15 Gase is getting fired. These guys are probably the top 3 candidates and are all current offensive coordinators. #1 draft pick secured who you rolling with?

barfolomew, egelband, jixxjr and 4 others like this.
  2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Good thread. I don't have an answer, but for the first time in many coaching hires I wouldnt say "WTF!?!" when hiring any of those.....

3. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

I like Bieniemy, he seems to have all the attributes of great head coach. Worked for some great leaders, McCartney and Andy Reid. He was assistant HC with Vikings under Frazier. Not sure he is offensive genius mind like Gase (joke), but seems to be prime candidate! Would he come here? Is the question. If Reid endorses him, I trust he is competent!

No calls from Peyton will be taken this time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 Sack exchange, Oct 22, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    barfolomew, Ray Lucas and FJF like this.
  4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Joe Brady

joelip likes this.
  5. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

There are a bunch of college guys like Joe Brady out there that may work well with TL (if we get him). Bienemy is off the Reid tree and they all seem like good coaches. However, with the Douglas connection to Baltimore, I see the team going more in that direction.

#5 Wut?, Oct 22, 2020
    barfolomew likes this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It would be nice to bring in a strong, young, offensive mind and pair them with Dan Quinn. He was great in Seattle and sometimes people are just better coordinators like Todd Bowles looks to be in Tampa Bay.

BudJet and Ray Lucas like this.
  7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I’d rank them
    Bieniemy
    Smith
    Roman
    As my preference.
    I’d rank them
    Roman
    Bieniemy
    Smith
    As betting favorites.
    That said, give me the best candidate off the Walsh tree that has been bearing fruit for years and years.

Red Menace and NYJFOREVER like this.
  8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Fear not, Jets will find that wtf guy .

westiedog1, FlaJet, stinkyB and 6 others like this.
  9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Bill O'Brien would be that guy for 2021. :D:eek:

Sec124DieHard, FJF and Sack exchange like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think it's still too early to know because we don't know who the candidates are, but just sticking with that list, I'd say Roman probably, then Bieniemy, then Smit. While I really like what Smith has done, he doesn't have enough experience to take on the role of HC. For that matter, I'd prefer someone who has at least been a HC in college - the role of HC is way more complex than people realize, and if you look at our failure rate with hiring coordinators it underscores that. Of course the Jets have failed at picking former HCs too so there's no guarantee that route would succeed either. But if they do hire a coordinator I would at least like them to have had a lot of experience at the pro level, and even have been an ass't HC.

But before we can even consider ANYONE, there's still the small matter of getting rid of the current occupant. Until he's gone, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Ray Lucas, SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  11. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Joe Brady or Arthur Smith.

I'm not totally sold on Bieniemy because I think any offense would be good with Reid, Mahomes and the skill position guys the Chiefs have.

Jets79 likes this.
  12. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

That’s scary!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jets79 and The Dark Knight like this.
  13. Greg Roman. Been successful everywhere he’s been. His voices carries weight & is a good football man. Think he’ll bring a very good staff as well

14. DefenseWinsChampionships

I want Dabo Swinney of Clemson.

He's a true offensive mind.

Born in Alabama and even played for Alabama as a WR (developed both DeAndre Hopkins and Sammy Watkins).

And he's also developed both of DeShaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence while winning National Championships with them both.

Clemson has been around as a Football program since dating back to 1896 and by the time Dabo arrived in 2008-2009 (as HC) Clemson only had ONE (1) National Championship; they've now got 3 due to Dabo winning them two National Championships along with a record of 135-31 (.813%).

You want an offensive mind who understands the importance of both QB/WR? Dabo is your man.

Last but not least as an FSU fan I want him out of my ACC Conference. He's the greatest ACC coach I've seen since our Bobby Bowden.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  15. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

One thing I noticed in the last two KC games was 1)Eric Bienemy getting in the offenses faces and going off cause they needed a kick in the ass and 2) when Kelce fumbled and was completely distraught, he was the one putting his arm around him and calming him down.

I know as a HC the screaming and getting in guys faces on the sidelines probably backfires nowadays, but it showed me he could be as excitable as he needed while knowing when to take a softer approach. The last 2 coaches we've had have been emotionless stones.

I know this doesn't answer your question regarding his scheme/playcalling etc, but seems like players would really like to play for him. Put him with some strong coordinators and I think he's the guy.....especially being a former player and having really worked his way up the ranks.

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Good argument for him, but it's hard to know how much if his success is due to him, and how much to others. Still, he'd be miles better than anyone we've had since Parcells.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good thread. I don't think we could go wrong with any of those three. I'd be very happy with any of these three.

My preference is Roman due to his amount of experience and success that he has had.

Bieniemy is my second choice, primarily due to learning under Andy Reid.

I like Smith's potential a lot! It might take Smith or Bieniemy a little longer to find their stride than Roman, but I think both could wind up being very good, if not great, HCs. I don't think either would be awful like Bowles or Gase.

Brian Daboll is in the mix as well as far as I'm concerned. He's somewhere in the top 4, but I'm not sure where just yet.

Brady has less coaching experience overall, and less in the NFL than either Smith or Bieniemy. He is a great OC, and could make a great HC. He would be my 5th choice.

#17 NCJetsfan, Oct 22, 2020
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Yeah I definitely agree with this. Would be nice to have an actual leader as a coach for once. Last one we had was Rex. Bowles was a nice guy for sure but didn't exactly light a fire under anyone's ass.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think Greg Roman is overhyped. His two shining offenses were built with the spread option offense in mind with QB's than ran a 4.5 and 4.3.

His highest ranked passing offense as a coordinator has been 23rd. He hasn't yet developed a passer.

Hard pass on Roman.

All things really point to Bienemy, but he's not 100% my choice yet. He's been a coordinator long enough and coached in two successful franchises and in the college ranks. Ex-NFL player too.

Arthur Smith, meh. Seems like the next hotshot coordinator to fail because he's not yet ready. Not a seasoned coach enough.

20. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'm not a fan of going after the Chiefs OC and it's not only because they already have the likes of Mahomes, Hill, Watkins, Kelce and now Le'Veon already in place but because it's truly ANDY REID who's the offensive genius over there.

He's been their OC only since 2018 however Andy has been their HC since 2013.

2013 11-5 and made the playoffs.
    2014 9-7.
    2015 11-5 and made the playoffs.
    2016 12-4 and made the playoffs.
    2017 10-6 and made the playoffs.

2018 is when Eric because OC and was handfed the keys to a Ferrari/Lamborghini/Porch.

Hiring Eric as HC would be like teams hiring Belly DCs to become coach and could become a DISASTER.

FK NO ON ERIC!

IDFjet likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.