Not firing Gase now - Could this be Chris Johnson biggest blunder ever?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LAJet, Oct 17, 2020.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It sucks because there are no fans this year. We can't boo the team off the field. We can't leave the stadium empty.

The Johnsons might not even realize how bad things are, I'm serious, they are that stupid

Jets79 likes this.
  2. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

that's ridiculous hyperbole

Sam is a big boy and young and smart. Hopefully a new coach and approach can harness that. If they can't it will be far from the first #3, or #2 or #1 QB who didn't pan out as hoped.

The risk reward for firing Gase mid-season is way off. First, you're more likely to replace one loser with another. Second, if he has a modicum of success you'll hurt your draft slot and on top of that then have the confusing decision on whether to try and replace the stop gap for 8 games with a brand new regime (you can consult recent Browns history for that). Third you tell the league that your organization is even more dysfunctional than they previously thought resorting to temper tantrums

3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Why the heck do we want to win a game at this point. We are in the drivers seat right now to the best Qb prospect in over 20 years.

The same people that are bitching about Gase still being employed are the same people who will be whining SOJs if he is fired and they end up winning a game and not picking 1st overall.

Nothing good comes from firing Gase now... nothing.

stinkyB and Borat like this.
  4. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Who do you propose takes his place mid-season? WHat does that do to our conducting a proper search for a replacement and to our decision making process for a new coach. If there were a guy in the wings who i thought was right (not just different) i might feel differently. As improbable as it sounds, as sucky as we are changing a coach (for the sake of change) does not guarantee success. Who knows, a new coach could tell Sam to scramble more and we might end up with an RGIII situation.

right now everyone is mad as hell, and the Jets have a real problem on their hands. Yes there are problems with execution (everyone seems to be dropping stuff) but on both offense and defense we're fooling no one. We are running into walls, throwing to well covered receivers, and the opponent is throwing to guys where there isn't a Jet in the vicinity

5. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

I really don't think there is enough talent to win a game on this roster tbh. So I think both can be accomplished. Fire Gase and get a good look at some younger players that may be part of the solution in the future.

SOJAZ and Sack exchange like this.
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

So tell us if you're as sure about Lawrence as you were about Darnasty. Are you sure enough to change your name again?

SOJAZ likes this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

At this point all I'm gonna say is agree to disagree. I could not possibly disagree with this stance any more.

I promise you I would be ten times happier firing Gase, showing signs of life (specifically from Darnold) and ending up with the 3rd or 4th pick.

SOJAZ likes this.
  8. Attackett

I was very high on Darnold, still am. I am higher on Lawrence though who is a generational prospect. I’ve stated many times that Lawrence would likely fail as well if he was paired with a Gase or another HC of his ilk. I’ve also stated many times that the Jets are in better position to build around Lawrence than they did Darnold.

As for a name change, I haven’t really thought that far ahead.

9. Ralebird

I don't care who fills in for the rest of the season as long as they find a quarterback technician to work with Darnold too. I don't care if they bring Rex Ryan in to get whoever is left to understand what it means to be on a team. There are a couple dozen guys on the coaching staff even if you don't count Gase, Loggains and Williams - make one the boss for three months.

Getting rid of Gase is ADDITION BY SUBTRACTION!

Firing Gase doesn't do a damn thing to harm running a coach search and hiring process other than let the right guy know that the Jets want him. If you're going to be wishy washy about coming to a team that fired their coach, you're not wanted. Why would anyone want to come to a team that was too screwed up to get rid of a guy that wasn't qualified to be the Dolphin's coach five years ago and has only gotten worse?

What's with these oddball hypotheticals? Seems to me that Darnold's improvising often is more successful than Gase's playbook.

And what is the value you think Gase brings to the New York Jets? Are you related to the guy? Does he owe you money?

SOJAZ and Sack exchange like this.
  10. Ralebird

"Generational prospect" sounds way to much like "offensive genius" to me; talk is cheap - until you start to pay the price for listening to it.

11. Attackett

There are few things in life I care less about than your feelings on Trevor Lawrence. He’s has 2.5 years of tape for all to see.

I’ve seen enough to know that we need that 1st pick and keeping Adam Gase around gives us the best chance so I want to keep Adam Gase around.

jonnyd likes this.
  12. JustinDaseezin

JustinDaseezin Active Member

I think the best thing from an owner's standpoint is to keep the coach. Force him to lose and make the losses count to him. I dont think any coach on the team or off the team is interested in the Jets job, especially knowing they will be let go at the end of the season. So wait till the off season. Interview a few candidates, and get the right guy in there.

13. Ralebird

You're certainly entitled to your opinion on Lawrence, just like you were on your boy Darnold who you are now ready to discard like last week's fish while you campaign to keep Gase around because you believe in the power of the tank. Be my guest.

SOJAZ likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Even if Gase is fired, this team is so dysfunctional and broken it's not going to win any games. In any case, I'd prefer the certainty that Gase is gone over the chance that they MIGHT win a game or two. And there's always the possibility that they win one or two under Gase.

Nope, Gase must go now!

SOJAZ, Ralebird and 88toon like this.
  15. Ralebird

There are 32 NFL head coach jobs in the entire world. There are thousands of football coaches - do the math. There will be absolutely no problem at all finding someone who wants to fill the position. Interim coaches have been a way of life in the NFL a long time. Do you realize there are already two working in the NFL this year?

16. Attackett

That is very likely true but no reason to chance it at this point. You’ve suffered decades being a Jets fan, I’m sure you can make it 10 more games.

barfolomew likes this.
  17. Attackett

I don’t see how anyone can not believe in the power of the tank, mind boggling.

18. Ralebird

Hello?

19. JustinDaseezin

JustinDaseezin Active Member

No one wants to be hired as "interim", and the Jets wont be giving a multi year deal to Gase's replacement during the season. Why would anyone leave their secure position to take a job for 10 games, and more than likely be let go after.

20. Ralebird

What are you talking about "leave their secure position?" I think you really don't understand how this thing works, and has worked for decades.

Did you know that the Houston Texans and the Atlanta Falcons are operating with interim coaches right now, and both won their first game of the season yesterday? Neither team had to go on a search to get those interim coaches.