Don't bet the farm that Lawrence will save the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ColoradoContrails, Oct 14, 2020.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

This is the main point I keep bringing up in the Lawrence vs Darnold debate.

The Jets have to make a decision on Sam’s 5th year option THIS offseason and if they pick it up, they’re looking at somewhere around 25M for his 5th year.

Now, I offer up three questions:
    A) Has Sam done enough in your opinion to earn 25M? (IMO, no)
    B) Do you imagine he’ll take much less than that for an extension? (I do not)
    C) (finally, but most importantly) How do you see the Jets being able to build around Sam, like so many are suggesting, when 20-30M is going to 1 player who hasn’t shown that he deserves a contract of that magnitude? (We can’t IMO)

For me, the decision is easy. If we get #1, we take Lawrence and trade Sam for the best pick we can get. The Jets are in a much different situation now than we were when we took Sam. Multiple early picks and plenty of cap space are all assets that could provide Lawrence with the help that Sam unfortunately never got.

2. DefenseWinsChampionships

Trevor after almost breaking the all time record for most consecutive passes without an int thrown, finally tossed a pick.

However he also put up over 400 yards passing & 5 TD passes.

He's the real deal people. Just like Watson was the real deal coming out of Clemson, so is Trevor but with a much better arm.

If we have the #1 pick and get Lawrence I'd love to trade Sam Darnold for a 2nd round pick to a QB hungry team.

Lawrence + 3 first rounders and another 3 2nd rounders over the next two drafts? Along with a boat load of cap space? It'll be almost impossible to not surround Trevor with awesome offensive weapons everywhere.

Ray Lucas and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Hopefully we can get Etienne with the SEA pick too...

#TankProperly

Lon Chaney likes this.
  4. DefenseWinsChampionships

Na. There will be awesome 2nd/3rd rd RBs to draft. With the Seattle pick we gotta find either a stud WR prospect or an interior O-Lineman @ either Center or LG to play and feast alongside of Becton.

5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Wyatt Davis, Trey Smith, Josh Myers, Jaylen Waddle, Devonta Smith.

6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

As bad as I want to take an IOL, if Waddle or Devonta Smith fell to that SEA pick they’d be no-brainers.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I didn't know that the Jets had to make a decision this coming offseason regarding the 5th year option. I thought they could wait until at least partially into the 4th season. I also didn't know that if they do pick up the 5th year option, Sam would make around $25 million. I thought his 5th year would still be fairly cheap. With this being the case, then the Jets really do have to move on from Sam.

It also changes my mind about keeping Sam around rather than trading him. If they opt not to keep him for his 5th season (which they shouldn't if it has to be decided this coming offseason), then they have to trade him by the trade deadline of next season. I think they could get more for him if they wait until the trade deadline, as they could give the new CS a chance to fix Sam and then showcase him in preseason, and maybe a contender or two will see their starting QB go down for an extended period, and an actual bidding war could happen for Sam. I could also see trading him prior to the draft, even if his value will still be suppressed. A bidding war could happen between teams that know they have no shot at Lawrence, Lance or Fields and who need a QB.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree. I don't like using 1st round picks on OGs. I would on a Center, but not an OG, unless I was set at every other position and had a dire need at OG. The Jets can find perfectly good starting OGs in the 2nd, 3rd and even 4th rounds or lower, although it gets harder to find them the lower one goes.

#168 NCJetsfan, Oct 17, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    KY Jets Fan likes this.
  9. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Waddle is a top 12 pick. Maybe smith is there.

10. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I had the opportunity to watch Lawrence the entire game he played. Despite the int, He had a superb game. His passes were mostly on the mark, his passes were crisp, and he ran and control the offense with GT stopping Ettiene most of the first half. He got our if the pocket when needed. He also saw weaknesses in GT secondary. If Gase is still here, Trevor should return to school.

94Abraham, NCJetsfan and Cman68 like this.
  11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

It could be criminal for the Johnsons to allow Gase anywhere near TL. If Gase is still HC, I agree Trevor should stay in school and avoid the trainwreck that is the New York Jet Football Organization.

12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

No way we pay Sam 25m for his 5th year atm he hasn't done enough to warrant that contract.

I don't know if we can not sign him and he goes to free agency and then we sign him back at a more reasonable cost. I certainly don't see any other team be willing to pay him 25m either.

13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Totally agree. Don’t think either of them will be there. I think guys like Rondale Moore, Rashod Bateman, and Justyn Ross are more likely at the SEA pick.

blackssmagic and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

With the new CBA, the 5th option money is fairly “set”. There are essentially tiers in how you get paid depending on how well you have performed so far in your career. I don’t remember the exact specifics, but it’s something like if you make All-Pro, you get the franchise tag at your position. You make a Pro Bowl, you get the transition tag. If you play 75% of the snaps of your contract, which I believe Sam falls into this Tier, you get paid the average salary of the 3rd-20th highest paid players at your position. Which I believe would put Sam’s 5th year option in the 20-25M range.

#174 KY Jets Fan, Oct 18, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  15. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

There is absolutely no way we would roll out Sam over Lawrence. As soon as we lock up 1 overall it’s time to start shopping Sam and interviewing coaches. It’s really that simple... This FA pool we can fill some holes and the rest we are going to have to depend on the GMs eye for talent.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I was right on the upper edge then with 25m, even at 20m he hasn't shown enough for me.

17. tubby

tubby Active Member

Would absolutely love a combo of Myers and Waddle/Smith with the late first, early 2nd picks

I think Waddle and Smith will be gone by then/

18. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Justyn Ross is a great value pick. No idea when he will go but he was a top 10 pick last year. Now has hurt neck but he’ll bounce back.
    Waddle is the real deal. Next Jerry Jeudy.

smith reminds me of a poor mans nuke Hopkins. Could get him imo but who knows.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  19. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Let's put it this way.... With the way things are going we need to HOPE JD was secretly planning to tank the whole time.

20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Waddle reminds me of Tyreek Hill.

blackssmagic and WoodyHarrelson like this.