Don't look now... The Circus is back in town..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/...0201017-cj3u3xobareblnpyfzccswbsry-story.html

Say what you want about Mehta but lately, his articles have been pretty good observations as to the devolution of the Jets from NFL to The BigTop.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Joe Douglas, Adam Gase divorce must happen for Jets GM to create ‘best culture in sports’

The Jets have provided a roadmap to the best circus in town, where laughter is guaranteed even if winning isn’t.
    Nearly 10 months after general manager Joe Douglas revealed that “the plan is to create the best culture in sports,” the wayward franchise has been lampooned by everyone from diehard fans to “Saturday Night Live.”
    NFL players, coaches and executives giggle behind their backs. Gang Green has morphed into something much worse than just a bad team.
    They’re a punchline.

Dubious leadership has created a fissure exasperated by a snake oil salesman on the sideline. The GM has taken no accountability. And a placeholder owner has been perpetually mocked for bestowing brilliance upon a charlatan.
    Winning organizations are filled with doers. The 0-5 Jets, who face the Dolphins on the road Sunday, are talkers.
    They like to talk about doing this or creating that. They toss out grandiose (and delusional) phrases like “coaching football to where it’s going” with the desperate hope that fans will follow like sheep.

Never mind that they rarely produce.
    Joe Douglas (c.) can't begin to change the Jets culture until Adam Gase is out of the picture.
    Joe Douglas (c.) can't begin to change the Jets culture until Adam Gase is out of the picture. (Seth Wenig/AP)
    While others efficiently and quickly rebuild, the Jets are about to miss the playoffs for a 10th consecutive season. While others hire smart, creative coaches, the Jets have backed themselves into a corner with the worst one.
    While others entrust their franchise to multi-taskers who think on their feet in a fast-moving, unforgiving environment, the Jets have a plodding neophyte whose nearly every move has underwhelmed to this point.

To the Jets' credit, it takes hard work to be this bad.
    Best culture in sports?
    The Jets won’t even have the best culture inside Hard Rock Stadium this weekend.
    That belongs to the Dolphins, who traded Adam Gase for Brian Flores last year with the promise of ridding themselves of a malodorous air.

Flores embodies leadership. Flores provides real hope for better days for a proud franchise. Flores is everything that his predecessor isn’t.

“It’s important to be authentic,” Flores said this week. “I don’t have all the answers. I tell the players that. But I’m constantly working to find the right answer. It’s about being genuine. At the end of the day, I’ll have peace with my actions and the things I say regardless of how things go.”
    “Leadership is about service,” Flores continued. “How do I serve the players? How do I serve my coaching staff? Those are things that I’m constantly trying to think about as I’m going through the day. It’s not always about yelling and screaming. Obviously, I’m demanding also. Players will tell you that. I think this role is about service. How do I get other people to play, coach, operate at their optimum level? That’s constantly on my mind.”

The Jets should want all those qualities in their next head coach if they truly want to improve the culture. Flores, frankly, has so many qualities that Douglas should prioritize when searching for Gase’s replacement.

It’ll be incumbent upon Douglas, whose litany of missteps in his first 16 months on the job has contributed to Gang Green’s laughingstock status, to practice what he has preached when recommending a new head coach to Woody Johnson.
    Douglas reiterated his “best culture in sports” platform in April by maintaining that it “all revolves around bringing in the right people.” The Jets did not respond to requests to make Douglas available for this story.

Le’Veon Bell was the latest well-liked and talented player run off by this regime, but the Jets are still attempting to sell a fairytale that they’re headed in the right direction.
    “We’re working on creating a culture that we’ve tried to build here in the last year,” said Gase, who consistently disparaged Bell behind the scenes since his arrival. “I think our locker room is pretty good right now.”

The elephant in the room: Gase’s locker room approval rating is circling the drain.
    Regardless, Douglas has plenty of work ahead to reverse course after Gase is gone.
    “It’s going to take people with the right level of commitment, character and competence,” Douglas said after last season about his desire for a culture shift. “Every person, every player that we bring into this building… they’re going to be assessed on their fit within our culture. They’re ability to help us achieve our ultimate goal, which is to win a Super Bowl year in and year out.”

Words mean nothing without action.
    Douglas must take a long look in the mirror if his plan has any chance of coming to fruition. Gase ultimately will get the ax, but that doesn’t excuse the GM for many dubious decisions since taking over.

Douglas will have a chance — his only chance — soon enough to hire a head coach and create a winning culture to shut down the circus.

#1 Cman68, Oct 17, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2020
  2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I disagree with everything Mehta stands for as a “journalist”. He is a hack, like an annoying little mosquito. You think he’s harmless until you get yellow fever. I do not think he is covering the Jets well. I think he is reveling in the misfortune of other human beings. He also inaccurately represents situations. He makes his coverage personal, when he feels slighted he goes after people with character assassination articles.

NCJetsfan, Noam, dmw and 10 others like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Hating the messenger are we....

Noam, Ralebird, barfolomew and 2 others like this.
  5. MaximusD163

Well if the messenger says your wife and kids are fighting for their lives after a 4 car pileup when the truth is your wife got in a fender bender and the kids were at the babysitter’s... Yeah, you hate the messenger.

NCJetsfan, FJF and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

No, just the message.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

Tried to read the freaking article, however annoying imbecilic pop up ads filling my screen made me say f**k it, but what I did read was spot on. Granted everyone is pissed of at Manush for whatever reason, but at the end of the day we are all Jet fans wanting them to succeed. There is nothing I would like more than to come to places like this and write glowing positive posts about our team and the excitement that comes with winning, something that has eluded us seemingly forever. Truth is, the NY Jet administration is a lot like the Dump administration, lots of talk, lots of bluster, lots of lies and misrepresentations all with zero results making the NY Jets the biggest joke in all sports. Never thought in my wildest dreams that any team could out do the NY Knicks as the biggest sports joke, but here we are. It isn't even close! The Knicks have tried to hire competent coaching and FO staff finally. Jet ownership publicly stated that their soon to be 0-16 HC is an offensive genius LMAO. Take what this offensive geniuses have done with Sam Darnold. What they have done with Sam Darnold borders on criminal. They took a kid that had all of the potential in the world and made him into garbage. They put him out on the field to get beaten up every single week running for his life on every pass play, and 100% set him up for failure. When QB's get the crap beaten out of them every game for years, they start to hear footsteps and become paranoid, ruining their confidence and totally changing their style of play for self preservation. What other sports organization would do that? Now Sam has to sit here for 3+ more months, listening to trade rumors, Trevor Lawrence rumors, and all of the garbage that comes with being on this POS 0-16 wreck of an organization. I know in my heart that if they dumped Gase today, this team would manage to win a couple of games, and screw up the #1 pick, however, as presently constituted? No shot. They are so overwhelmingly outcoached, out schemed, out gamed, out desired, and obviously, out played every week it is mind boggling that these guys still have NFL coaching jobs. I include the great Gregg Williams in this who's defense gives up 35 points a game religiously.

One thing I will agree with the Johnsons about, if they are adamant about getting the first pick in the draft, it is imperative that Gase remains the HC for the full season.

Jets79 and SOJAZ like this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

His articles aren't better lately. The difference is his vendetta against Gase and the Jets is lining up with many fan's views (Like you) right now. He would still be writing articles like this if the Jets were (3-2). They are (0-5) and a joke lately, which lines up perfectly for Manish's narrative. Good for him, but that doesn't change what a hack he is.

NCJetsfan, FJF and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  9. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I won't click on any article by this hack - don't give him publicity, this is what he is after!

10. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Manish isn't wrong In that article. Only thing I question Is his assessment of Flores.

He could be the real deal, culture changing type of coach, but, I have my reservation still with that.

Regardless. He's miles better than what we have at HC.

I also don't think JD should be getting such a massive pass either. If this is a tear down type rebuild. Then, be transparent about it, don't feed us this BS about how "Our guys take exception to everyone calling this team the worst team in football. I think our guys are anxious to prove some people wrong. We know what type of players we have In this building.."

Blah. Blah. Fucking. Blah.

It's obvious he is gearing up for some big moves this upcoming off-season, but, why not just fucking be honest about it?

Just makes things look even worse. Shit is already beyond awful, why, continue to paint the picture that much worse?

I'd be lying If I said I wasn't sceptical of JD at this point too.

Noam, barfolomew, Cman68 and 3 others like this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

If Mehta has some inside dope Gase and Joe Douglas are splitting up ,,then thats a good thing imo

I posted this before...we are taking same path as browns with re build good GM firing old coach (KItchen) hiring a motivated guy (Stefanski)

Question is who will replace AGase??

#11 NYJetsO12, Oct 17, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    The Dark Knight likes this.
  12. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I think he says what he says about the players in the locker room to protect them. As bad as the morale in the locker room is now, I imagine it would be worse if they knew they were put there by the GM to suck and go 0-16.

dmw likes this.
  13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Sorry, I just can't push myself to read a Manish article. He gets no benefit of the doubt in my book.

NCJetsfan, Leicester Jet, FJF and 2 others like this.
  14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Has there ever been a GM that says they are tanking or "punting" on the season before it even begins? No. That would be ridiculous. The Jets said nothing about making the playoffs or anything crazy to hype fans up. Everyone knew (except me :D) that this was going to be a rough season. I don't think Douglas said anything wrong. Douglas continues to clean up the previous regime's mess. His final move will be firing Gase. Then we can begin to properly evaluate Douglas. So far, so good, I would say. He really needs to nail the Head Coaching hire though and I think he will if Chris Johnson allows him to.

NCJetsfan, dmw, Jets79 and 1 other person like this.
  15. MaximusD163

I’ve been saying since well before the season that they will not be competitive until 2021. It’s why I was against investments in either Clowney or Ngakoue, and I’m not stressing that they didn’t sign one other receiver.

One ED and/or one WR were never going to make the difference in 2020. I’m telling you. What difference would Clowney and Robby Anderson be making on this team? I’ll tell you, it would be 1-4 or 2-3 at best. More likely 1-4. So why waste that money for a year we knew they wouldn’t be good?

If you step back and think about it, Douglas probably knew Adam Gase was not the guy. It was wise of him save all of his capital until next year when they have a legitimate coach.

NCJetsfan, Jets79 and The Dark Knight like this.
  16. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Fuck Mehta that pos scum bag

did not read

Someone earlier correctly mentioned he’s not getting better it’s just the fiction is starting to line up with the fucked up happenings

different things

17. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I haven't turned on JD (completely) and I agree with your statement.

However.... We are at a point with this team that If he tried to remotely say anything of the sorts, It would just be asinine at this point. The worst thing anyone can do as a higher up, GM, Owner, etc.... Is continue to try to blow smoke up our ass' as fans. It won't fly, It will only add more gas to this massive shit show of a fire.

My other point Is...

If his plan all along was to do a complete tear down.. I'm not so sure I would've been so direct with those type of claims then. You can be positive, while deflecting the obvious. We see It all the time.. Instead, he just looks bad to me.

It suggests that he didn't have a real pulse on this team going into the season. That he truly thought this team was built In a way that was going to shut up those nay'sayers of the world and media. That obviously looks horrible at this point.

So... We've had a lot of really bad FO people over the years. I don't have much faith In anyone right now, and, that has me wondering just how well he is at assessing the pulse of his teams.

18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

he can’t be honest about it...no GM is going to say yeah, we know we suck, so may as well tank for the top pick. Just can’t do it. But look at his actions and we can see what he’s doing.

shit...even years later Bill Polian wouldn’t admit it when his Colts tanked for Luck but that’s exactly what they did...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Well like all of you he is a wpo dung... but his point about HC leadership IMHO is accurate.

Mark Cannizzaro wrote in today's The NY post a comparison between HC and it isn't pretty: https://nypost.com/2020/10/17/brian-flores-dolphins-turnaround-makes-jets-adam-gase-look-bad/

Remember when the Jets could count on at least one win over the Dolphins every year, sometimes even a season sweep?

Those days seem like long ago. And those days certainly aren’t these days.

If you look at the direction the Jets have been headed in the past two seasons (read: rudderless and reeling) and the direction the Dolphins are currently taking (read: arrow pointing up), it doesn’t look like the Jets can count on anything other than hanging on for dear life and hoping for a victory.

When the Jets (0-5) play at Miami (2-3) on Sunday, the job Dolphins coach Brian Flores has done compared with the job Adam Gase has done with the Jets in the same period will be on display.

And it’s not a favorable display for Gase.

Flores, the Bill Belichick disciple from New England who took over in Miami after Gase was fired by the Dolphins and hired by the Jets, has coached circles around Gase.

Both Flores and Gase got off to terrible starts last season — Gase’s Jets going 1-7 with Sam Darnold catching mononucleosis and Flores’ Dolphins starting 0-7.

But the start Flores endured was historically horrific. Miami was beaten 59-10 by Baltimore in the opener, then 43-0 to the Patriots in Week 2, then 31-6 to Dallas and 30-10 to the Chargers. Four games into Flores’ NFL head coaching career his team was outscored 163-26.

Three more losses followed and the Dolphins were 0-7 before going 5-4 the rest of the way. Add to that their 2-3 start this season, and Flores is 7-7 since that forgettable beginning.

A year ago, the Dolphins were ranked last in the NFL in points allowed, yielding 30.9 per game. They were 25th in the league in scoring at 19.1 points per game. Their pass defense gave up 39 touchdowns and produced just 13 interceptions.

This season, the Dolphins are ranked 10th in points allowed (22.6 per game) 13th in points scored (27.2 per) and their pass defense is ranked sixth in the league.

You know what those numbers represent? Progress.

That’s not something we’re seeing from Gase’s team, which has been regressing. (my emphasis)

When Flores’ progressing program was brought up to Gase this week, the beleaguered Jets coach was quick to point how different this Dolphins team is than the one he left after the 2018 season.

“There’s not a whole bunch of guys that were there with me at this point after two seasons,’’ Gase said. “I think [Flores] has got 8 to 10 guys that he had in New England. He’s got his guys in there that he’s familiar with.’’

Gase, too, was quick to point out the free-agent money the Dolphins doled out to build their defense. They signed cornerbacks Byron Jones (five years, $82 million) and Xavien Howard (five years, $76.5 million), as well as former Patriots linebacker Kyle Van Noy (four years, $51 million) and defensive end Shaq Lawson (three years, $31 million).

“They’ve done a good job to rebuild the defense really quickly, went out in free agency, signed a bunch of guys, got some guys that were disruptive in the pass rush, getting a corner that they made the highest paid corner in the NFL,’’ Gase said. “He’s got guys that are familiar with his system, that allows those guys to play fast.’’

The Dolphins, too, believe they have their franchise quarterback in first-round pick Tua Tagovailoa, who’s sitting behind hot veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick at the moment.

They’ve got some good things going on in Miami as opposed to the Jets, who don’t have a lot going for them right now and seem to be waiting for Gase to be replaced.

Perhaps the most important thing Flores has done since the nightmarish start last season was stick to his principles and not panic.

“I learned a lot from Year 1,’’ Flores said this week. “From a leadership standpoint, I think it’s important to be authentic, to be honest. I don’t have all the answers. I tell the players that, but I’m constantly working to find the right answers.

I think it’s about being genuine and being authentic. At the end of the day, I’ll have peace with my actions and the things I say regardless of how things go.’’

How did Flores extricate his team from the abyss of 163-26?

“Thinking back on it, it was definitely a tough time, but I think we learned a lot from it,’’ Flores said. “Any time you deal with adversity, it either breaks you or makes you stronger. Hopefully it’s made us better.’’

One team playing in Hard Rock Stadium on Sunday has gotten stronger and better, and the other has not

Personally I believe Cannizzaro nailed it.

MoWilkBeast and BomberJet like this.
  20. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

The circus is back in town? I wasn't aware that it had left. It's been here since 2011, hasn't it?