Jets have not drafted a 1st RD WR since dating back to Keyshawn Johnson (1996) & Santana Moss (2001)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Oct 15, 2020.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

And we wonder why our QB's haven't been able to feature high flying passing attacks?

We've been playing within a passing league for a long time now, but yet; we're going on 20 years (19) without a single WR drafted during the first round?

• I was 11 when we drafted Keyshawn and in elementary school in Queens PS100 (born in 1985).

• I was 15-16 and in High School in St. Pete (Northeast High School).

• Now I'm 35 and haven't witnessed a 1st RD WR ever since (now have a 9 year old daughter).

How is this even possible?

My question is this. Because I can not find the answer online...

Are there any other NFL Franchise's (outside of our Jets) who have not drafted a 1st round WR in 19 going on 20 years?

Or, are we the only one's?

#1 DefenseWinsChampionships, Oct 15, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Frankly I don't care if any other teams are as stupid as the Jets. The fact that they're that stupid is all that matters.

This is one aspect where keeping Darnold and being able to use what is certain to be a very high pick on a stud WR has to be considered. Sure, if they have the #1 pick and use it on Lawrence, they also have another 1st round pick to use on a WR, but it will be near the bottom of the 1st round and so the best WRs will likely not be available.

BomberJet likes this.
  3. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I'm the last guy to defend the NYJ but this WR stat means zilch. High pick WR have decent bust prospects and with all the needs and the relatively high pick # the Jets average, its no condemnation IMO.

FJF and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  4. DefenseWinsChampionships

I understand all of this it's just bothering me not knowing if any other team has ignored first round WRs for 19 going on 20 years now? Or are we literally the only one?

5. DefenseWinsChampionships

I disagree. In a passing league? No #1 WRs drafted in the first round? Not even for Mark Sanchez?

You can not defend this shit.

And you wonder why we haven't featured a franchise QB since Joe Namath? Maybe it's because they've had no one to throw the damn ball to?!?

BomberJet likes this.
  6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

This team has drafted a defensive player every year in round 1 in the 2010's except for 2018. This year, it was understandable to fortify the OL in round 1 even if I liked Jeudy and Lamb. We'll see what happens in 2021, but I want Chase if we don't get Lawrence. Smith or Waddle wouldn't be bad consolation prizes with the Seattle pick.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Fair enough--but compare against teams with top 15 picks. If you're picking at 25, sure, a WR may make sense.

8. DefenseWinsChampionships

19 years without a first round WR? That's criminal. It's so criminal I bet you anything you can not name a team who's not drafted a 1st round WR in 20 years.

Sack exchange likes this.
  9. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

You feel strongly about this and that's cool--Rock on my brother. Also post some bets dude.

10. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

That's not even the true problem though. The problem Is that we haven't been able to draft worth a shit In the majority of drafts. We miss outside of the first round, where you have seen NUMEROUS WR taken beyond the first round and have been really successful In this league.

You obviously want a Stud In the first, that doesn't mean you can't find stud WR In later rounds.

Again.. This team, just fucking sucks In general. They suck at football, they suck at hiring, they suck at player scouting (Draft and Pro), they just fucking suck. Period.

I don't give a shit where they draft skill position players, as long as they actually hit on, shit, some at this point. Can they at least just hit on SOME fucking skill players? Anywhere?

Unlikely.

Jets79, ColoradoContrails and IDFjet like this.
  11. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

The second round bust parade of WR/OL is fukin pathetic. Your boy included. lol--just busting on you bro.

12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

We have not picked a good coach since about the same time so there is that.

Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. CotcheryFan

This is the bigger issue. Some teams are able to find good to elite skill position players on days 2 and 3 while we're lucky if any of the ones we take are average.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

WHAT???? SERIOUSLY?!?!

15. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

The Jets suck at talent evaluation and have for a reallllllllyyyyyyyyy long time. Tanny would at least trade up to get who could play. But that was because he needed sure things because he couldn’t evaluate at the margins.

Scouts. We need better scouts.

16. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Wouldn't it just be since Santana Moss then?

TwoHeadedMonster and Ralebird like this.
  17. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

I would pick franchise QBs and OL first round and MAYBE a franchise changing DE and that’s IT.

18. CotcheryFan

As @KurtTheJetsFan has said, clean prospects like Calvin Johnson and Julio Jones shouldn't be passed on just because there are many busts at the position in round 1. I wonder how many clean prospects this team has passed on over this time frame.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I think the bigger issue is we haven't drafted a good WR since santana moss really in like 12 attempts. the best non big name FA WR the jets had was robby as an UDFA and we misused him and let him walk only for him to be top 10 in the NFL with funny enough the QB we traded away throwing to him and the coach we should have hired over gase. Grabbing WRs in rounds 2-4 is usually best. hell I wanted metcalf so badly and he fell all the way until the last pick of the 2nd round and now he's a top 10 WR in the NFL

20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Metcalf was IMO as good of a prospect and he fell to pick 64 and now he's beasting. the WRs this year have been really good in the 1st don't get me wrong (lamb, jeudy, ruggs, jefferson) but there is always value in the 2nd and later for WRs more-so then other positions

ouchy likes this.