Falcons close facility due to positive virus tests

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by GREG, Oct 15, 2020.

1. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Not sure exactly how the NFL is going to weather the virus surge that is rolling in on us right now. I'm pretty sure they're going to find a way to play most of the games but they're going to have a lot of teams with positive tests in the next month.

They can try going to local bubbles and that may be their best bet to play a full season.

mute and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Musical chairs with the bye weeks isn't going to work. Maybe two weeks between games as we move into November. 16 teams play alternating weeks so they don't lose all that TV revenue.

They need to figure something out. Their whole strategy of test until you get a negative isn't going to work when people are still potentially virus spreaders after a negative test/while asymptomatic and haven't yet testing positive in the incubation period.

Br4d and mute like this.
  4. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i didnt think they could spread after they were negative. someone suggested adding a week or 2 at the end of the year to make up games that have to get figured out. if necessary. i think it doesnt really matter for probably 7 or 8 teams that arent playoff contenders or are far out in front so just go with percentage on those and dont bother making them up. which i am sure will end up screwing someone over draft wise.

Br4d likes this.
  5. Br4d

It's not unreasonable to suggest that some games just won't matter in the standings and will get skipped if one or both teams had a recent positive. They could start doing this right after mid-season if necessary given that a quarter or more of the teams will be effectively eliminated at that point. Actual elimination will not be for several weeks after that for the 3-5, 2-6 teams however odds on their games against other bad teams meaning anything will be very low. There will be few fans in the stands and low stadium revenue involved and cancelling the games will probably be better than playing them in dicey circumstances.

Here's the interesting thing though: the networks will want to broadcast in those markets, offering good content between good teams to maintain advertising and the TV revenues. I can't imagine a large number of Jets or Giants fans revolting over not having to watch revolting football this fall.

So does that become a thing moving forward: do bad teams playing against other bad teams lose their air time to more compelling games in the future?

I'd much rather watch good AFC North and South games after mid-season as opposed to the total crap that the Jets have tended to be over the last decade. I'm not willing to pay for DirectTV again to do this but if I turned on the TV and got Steelers/Ravens instead of Jets/Fins in November I'd be pretty happy about it this year.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Do you have any family members that are in school or have a student ID email address? Sunday Ticket streaming went from $300+ to $100 with that student option. There's an additional promo code that brought it down to as low as $79.99. You can then just hardwire (HDMI to Display port is usually the trick for computers) or cast the device to your TV using AirPlay or Miracast.

The only thing that sucks is the delay.

7. Br4d

I had a buddy in Pittsburgh who used to Sling TV the Steelers games to the wider world. It was a great option in bad Jets seasons when it was available.

I think these days if it requires more than turning on the TV, well I have other things I can do on Sunday afternoons. During the Kotite years I slept on the couch in front of the TV after the game got out of hand. That was mostly 1996 because the freaking Jets seemed to be in almost every game they lost in '95 right up until the last half of the 4th qtr. That was torture.

I've been wearing my Jet's hoodie around since the weather got colder. People look at me like I'm crazy but I'm on my 'A Man Called Horse' kick. They can hang me up by my nipples in the smokehouse and I'll do everything I can to tough it out.

Ptflea2 likes this.
  8. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Historically the answer to this is no, at least around here. The league is only required to broadcast away games, but the networks have kept right on broadcasting home games for the Jets and Giants through the end of the season year after year, because they believed that ratings for those bad games would be better than ratings for an alternative good game. I completely agree that it will be difficult to find Jets fans who complain about the 0-13 Jets abandoning the rest of the season (still have a .000 winning percentage!), but if the Jets (or Giants) are playing, fans want to watch them. And the effect on draft position cannot be ignored - if a team gets Trevor Lawrence because they were 1-13 and got to miss a couple of winnable games, while another team goes 2-14, people will go crazy.

Br4d likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

This is the reason why I don't like the win percentage stuff. Plus - I don't get why it seems like there's resistance to stretching the season out from the league. Vikings vs. Seahawks outdid the NBA Finals where LeBron won his fourth championship by 6+ million viewers. Why wouldn't they be OK with stretching the season out, playing games during different days of the week, etc?

I'm sure Tuesday Night Football did great ratings wise. If there's NFL football on, the people will watch it. They should just stay away from their NCAA feeders in Saturdays and it'll be all good.

10. alleycat9

they already are, i live in ct in litchfield county, our cable provider only carries the ct hd off air channels but carries both the ct and ny sd channels. if the jets were up against the patriots id be forced to watch them in sd on the new york feed in years past, but every single game that wasnt at the same time the patriots played was shown in hd in this area. thus far this season i havent seen a single jets game in hd. tampa bay has been put on instead. last week it was a game that made no sense. so the network, knowing that there are plenty of jets fans in this area has just decided ehh they are so bad were better off putting an out of market game on than one that is literally an hour and a half away.

so the jets have already managed to lose the outskirts of their viewership area, and there are a TON of new yorkers in this area.

11. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

The mental image alone has me scarred for life.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  12. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

The NFL will not cancel games nor the season. It will be played no matter what. Players also lose a paycheck if the game is cancelled so I'm sure that won't fly with the NFLPA. Falcons Vikings game looks like it will be played.

Colts had a few positives today and shut down everything. Russuni said there is a high % chance this game is played.

13. Br4d

New Haven was always kind of the Jets/Pats boundary down on the coast. I lived outside New London in the early 00's when both teams were competitive and I had to buy Direct TV to get Jets games.

alleycat9 likes this.
  14. Br4d

The NFL should go to a weighted lottery system like the NBA and NHL. Line up the top 6 or 8 contenders for the 1st pick and give them a proportional number of slips in the lottery. Slot 7 (or 9) and later by the formula used today.

Most terrible teams just ruin the QB they get on the #1 pick anyway. The last mediocre franchise that took the #1 pick and became a great team with him was the Colts with Peyton in 1998.

15. alleycat9

yes very much so in those days. still is with yankees/red sox. with all the winning the patsies did they have alot more fans around here than they used to. none of them know who john hannah, mosi tatupu or john stephens were though.

fairfield county is all jets, giants, yankees, mets. they get all the new york channels in fairfield county, outside of fairfield county its a bit tougher.

16. mute

mute Well-Known Member

17. Br4d

The NFL has to be really careful right now. The virus is running amok in a lot of red states and it is threatening everywhere else.

This is a good site to track what's going on nationwide and state-by-state and in the states that submit good metrics even county-by-county.

https://covidactnow.org/us/ct/?s=1158279

alleycat9 likes this.