2021 Runningback thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

So I think this is a position of need next year, even if Perine becomes a solid player (although he really doesn't remind me of anything more than a solid 2 in a 1-2 punch like Powell was). I don't think the second round or third is an unrealistic round to take a runningback.

The modern day runningback is used as a weapon and receiver as much as anything else anyway so it's something that we should consider. We've also had nothing but retreads since Thomas Jones and I think it's time we add a runningback you can count on for 20 touches a game.

Kylin Hill looked incredible against LSU last week out of the backfield and is solidly built. Najee Harris is also fantastic and is a very good receiving back, even at 230 pounds. I like Etienne too. This should be a good class at the top 4-5 available.

2. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

Perine should grow into the main backup for Bell by the end of the year.... How much of a need this is depends on the Bell we get when he comes back...

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

3. Jonathan_Vilma

I believe Bell is done with the Jets and I see a similar career trajectory in a blend of DeMarco Murray and LeSean McCoy. Someone could probably squeeze another 1,000 yard season out of him but I'd imagine he'll go ring hopping once we cut him. Or it'd be wonderful if we can find a sucker to give us a 5th for him.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Kenny Gainwell has opened my eyes. He'd be a great round 2 pick.

KurtTheJetsFan and legler82 like this.
  5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

That’s my guy.

6. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

As a Clemson fan, Etienne is as good as I’ve ever seen. Would love to get him. He is not a great oss catcher but is a true slasher and reminds me of a little tougher Chris Johnson

7. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Najee Harris in 2nd rd work for me. He is gonna be a load in the NFL. 230 lbs with quick feet and good hands.

Jonathan_Vilma and Leicester Jet like this.
  8. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

That would be great but will he still be there in the 2nd if he has the season Bama fans think he will have?

9. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Might be if the Jets pick 33rd overall.

10. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Penn State's Noah Cain will emerge this year but he's a sophomore

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Najee Harris is easily going to be a first round pick. He's a complete back and reads holes very well.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I hate Clemson but I hope the Jets end up with Trevor Lawrence and Etienne. We have the Seahawks pick. that's too perfect

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  13. WoodyHarrelson

Honestly, he’s almost more important to the team (Clemson) than Lawrence. He’s a Chris Johnson type speed back. Looked great last night again.

i don’t see the hype with Najee. He’s big but never break big runs.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Three broken tackles including a stiff arm and a hurdle. He catches the ball like a receiver and still has the body frame and physicality to close games in a 4:00 minute drill. He's not the best runner Alabama has produced in recent memory (Derrick Henry) but he's the most complete back they've spit out.

The pedigree is decent enough (Henry, Jacobs, Ingram vs. Lacy + Richardson) to not be worried about any sort of system product too. The hype is real - Alabama just has so many stars that have more decorated careers that he's a bit overshadowed. If we ended up keeping Sam and get Waddle and Harris in the first and second the team will be greatly improved.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  15. The whole offense is a need minus Sam(assuming he stays & isnt ruined) Slot, LT/C & MAYBE RT.

I think RB will be addressed bc the running attack is one of the biggest weaknesses on O.Bell hasnt worked & you cant trot out a 37 y.o old as your starter & expect to have success.

I almost prefer to address this in FA & on late day 2/early 3 however w acouple young sleeper types. Its a good offensive draft at the Jets need spots toward the top,could snag a top WR,Guard & TE. Could go a long way in upgrading this shitshow.

I really like what i see from South Carolina’s Kevin Harris.Not the flashiest but really quick to the hole, has a nice combo of burst & power. He has a never surrender style to him ..always finds a way to keep the chains moving & to turn a potential negative play into a positive.Guys as big as him shouldnt be that quick & smooth. That said hes a soph,not sure if he had any type of RS to be eligible or if hed even enter the draft.

#15 KurtTheJetsFan, Oct 4, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2020
  16. CotcheryFan

If we stick with Sam and that's a big if, I'd like our first 3 picks to be OL, WR, and RB, not necessarily in that order.

Wyatt Davis or Josh Myers would be a great pick with the Seahawks selection. Either would solidify the interior. McGovern is the C now, but he shouldn't stand in the way of an upgrade which is what Myers would be IMO.

With our 1st rounder, I've made it no secret that I'd love to land Chase. Instant upgrade for the offense and would be the number 1 WR the team has lacked for a while. I can see an argument for going with Sewell, Rousseau, or Wade/Surtain, but my preference is the playmaker on offense.

In round 2, I want Gainwell. He can be a weapon as a runner and a receiver, kind of like Bell except younger with fresh legs.

17. Only thing i differ on is TE over RB simply bc its a very strong TE class at the top & those guys are harder to find meanwhile Quality RBs can be found through the 4th sometimes early 5th round. That said not opposed to upgrading the position in RD 2 & do happen to like the Memphis back quite a bit.

Also like Humphrey,Leatherwood & Smith for the interior

18. WoodyHarrelson

if we stick with Sam, we should either draft Chase or trade back and yield a 2nd this year. So many holes I don’t think it would matter.

I do think Chase is the closest thing to Julio in recent years. Wouldn’t pass on him and settle for guys like Waddle. Both are great but in the end, I think Chase has to be option one B

19. I think Chase is the best in the class & would welcome him w open arms,but i wouldnt mind trading down to acquire more picks & taking either Waddle or Rashod Bateman.Hell if the draft fell a certain we could get BOTH.

20. CotcheryFan

I'm open to taking Pitts or Freiermuth, but I'd like for Herndon to get one more shot in a non Gase offense. And I'm not just saying that because of my handle. He had a promising rookie season. I want to believe that he's still rusty after missing almost all of last season. Maybe it's wishful thinking.