Sam just isnt good... (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Mar 4, 2020.

1. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

He didn’t throw a friggin TD - he has
    Stop making excuses for Sam. He’s never ranked 20th in 3 years as a starter. It’s over

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Darnold is good enough to win a SB...with the right team. I doubt the Jets will ever be that team. He's not a very accurate passer and I doubt that will improve much, if at all, so he needs receivers who can go after his off target throws and win 50-50 balls, things this set of receivers don't have. Also, Gase's plays usually require short, pinpoint throws which is not something Sam is really good at. Put those two things together and it's a recipe for losing. The thing is, a good coach would alter his play calling to adapt to that, but not Gase! He's just going to keep calling those plays and blame it on the players for not making them work.

If the Jets get someone competent, maybe Darnold can be resurrected, but if they have a chance to get Lawrence, they need to do it - and for god's sake fire Gase!

blackssmagic likes this.
  3. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Tom Brady is not losing this game against that awful of a defense. I’m sorry....

4. Mickey Irish

Mickey Irish Active Member

Very tough to evaluate darnold based on the talent surrounding him. Oline is trash AGAIN... no skill players.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

and half of those sacks are on Sam for not throwing the ball away. Sams his own worst nightmare at times. He is gun shy and indecisive a lot of the time instead of having trust in himself.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  6. Mickey Irish

Mickey Irish Active Member

Gun shy because he can never get comfortable. No receivers and line can’t hold up.

7. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

He’s shot. He hasn’t been the same since the “ghosts” game. He’s playing too conservative and taking dumb sacks in the name of ball security.

What exactly is this development I should be seeing from Gase? Other than developing the yips?

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I mean you said 'having, which implies he's in the middle of doing it in present tense. So yeah that's what it sounds like.

9. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

of course its the jets luck to draft a QB at #3 and, 3 years later, still are not convinced that he is the guy.

so so typical.

10. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

O line has been good enough. ESP last night vs a team with similar talent, Sam didn’t light it up necessarily but played fine. I would try and trade him for a 2nd this year.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  11. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

To blame Darnold for the L, simply unfair. I think the offensive game plan was miserable, if not for some improv by Sam, maybe we don’t even score TD, when Darold has time he deliver good ball. Crowder being on field helped him immensely. Not sure why so hard on him, he has worst WR corps, worst coach, and worst OC in the league. And the O game is all about dink and dunks, and antiquated plays. Did you hear aikman on one call. “We used to call me hat play”. OL is below avg. until that changes, this is what you will see from Darnold and this team. And basically nothing Darnold can do about it. For some reason he like gase, not sure why, but he stand by him, I think that is hampering his career. But who can blame him for his loyalty. I remember how delusional I was was by my horrible ex wife back in the day. When I finally opened my eyes, I saw clearly that it was so much not realty. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#371 Sack exchange, Oct 2, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  12. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

All QBs miss. The only real heartburn I have is that he still gets flustered when the rush is on him, he’s gotten little better, but lacking in this situation. Unfortunate we have bad OL, so he is in that situation often than not. When 1st and 2nd options not there, he panics, then either he improvs, we r makes mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

The most telling thing from last night's game came from Aikman ...
    "There are a lot of horizontal passes in this offense. The Jets have already faced 11 3rd downs. Sometimes you can go an entire game without facing 11 3rd downs, so to have that many in a half is a lot"

Basically saying Gase sucks, without saying it.
    Even when Sam executes this dogshit offense perfectly, his numbers aren't going to jump off the page. This fool has designed an offense that makes the QB look pedestrian ... even on a good day. Denver went vertical all night and gave their QB opportunities to shine. This dipship is content with designing 14 play drives that end in useless field goals.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Do you think he prefers facing 11 third downs in a half or he has a bunch of trash at receiver that can't get down field?

The only successful down field passing we had was to Crowder on a crossing route and Crowder on a deep sideline out (which isn't his game). We took 3-4 shots down field yesterday and one was a perfect throw to Jeff Smith that gets knocked down because he should be playing at Acorn State (the pass interference luckily), another was a throw in the end zone to Hogan that he had zero shot at.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

He actually looked pretty good in this regard last night. His clock wasn't going off too quick and he was under control and navigating the pocket with the 3rd string left tackle and back right guard playing right tackle.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Not saying Aikman is completely wrong because there are too many short, sideline passes. But there were also plays were Darnold was too much of a pussy to throw it downfield as well.

The play he got crunched on, Cager is running wide open 15 yards downfield across the middle. Every NFL QB makes that throw. Darnold was afraid to pull the trigger. That happens too much, he opts for the easier pass which might explain all the 3rd downs too.

Darnold is either permanently seeing ghosts or he's not as good as we thought he would be

17. Jonathan_Vilma

I really don't quite understand why Darnold's quick twitch reaction when he's under pressure is to throw to the sidelines and not throw the ball over the middle.

The biggest opening on the field versus a heavy blitz is right where the linebackers were.

He's scared to throw there. It's not good.

18. truthbtold

It's not a matter of liking it. That's the result this offense produces game after game. We probably threw 3 passes over 20 yards all game. I don't care who's out there. It's 2020 and it's ridiculous.

19. truthbtold

This I agree with

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It could be because of his poor footwork. His feet are not aiming towards the middle of the field

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.