JD - time to get on the horn and trade for a WR

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Sep 15, 2020.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

10 years of not making the playoffs and 50 since Super Bowl 3 have caused fans to want instant gratification. This team has very few players that could be considered building blocks. As you said, we need a homegrown core, but also a winning culture in place so that FA's want to come play for us and are willing to take less $$$ to do so.

Jets81 likes this.
  2. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

No point in bringing anyone in to just get injured like every other player on Gase’s team.

Cman68 likes this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Crowder out. Time to use that phone Joe Douglas

4. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Another hammy, Yikes, why so many? Same stuff last yr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I get trading for Robinson. He's the real deal. But here's why JD ain't gonna:

1) 2020 is a throw away year. I just don't see JD making a huge commitment this year.

2) Do the math: Robinson is looking for a new contract north of $20M per. So lets say $20m. Over the next 5 years, that's $100 million. Now, take JD drafting the next CD Lamb or Jerry Juedy in 2021. He gets a younger Robinson for closer to $25M over the same years. That's a $75M savings by waiting out the 2020 season then drafting a top WR in 2021. $75 million.

Or JD can use our own 1st to take another o-lineman (or edge rusher), then use Seattle's 1st to take a WR, then take another WR with our 3rd. He can get two brand new WRs for less than half of what Robinson would cost us, plus he'd lose a draft pick to boot.

I don't really know. I'd LOVE to have fire power this year to make the games a bit more fun to watch, but at the same time I know this is a 6-10 throw away year and NEXT year JD is planning big things. I hate to wait, but I think we're gonna have to.

Savatage likes this.
  6. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

He’s probably on the Demaryius Thomas hotline (1-800-veteran)

Cman68 and ouchy like this.
  7. Mr mittens

Mr mittens Active Member

I’d give up a 2nd in a heartbeat for Robinson and more if push come to shove. Robinson is a top ten wr in league and still young. He does everything and is not a deva. Hell I think Robinson on my list of wr is close top 5 in league

8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Since no great wideout wants to play for Gase it feels like we are trying to kidnap one through a trade.

9. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I'll take your word for it.

The problem I have is the Bears are just about never a explosive, high scoring offense they play a ugly brand of football. He didn't help Trubisky take the next step why expect him to help Darnold do it?

OBJ is the guy. ALL of New York knows what he's capable of. What he did to the Jets last year, what he did to them in 2015.

The rumblings are already out there the media is trying to push him to New England for a song.

The Jets/Darnold need him more.

10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's a pretty fair assessment but remember when jax had a-rob and hurns and MJD? even with bortles at QB their offense was high flying and bortles sucked. the bears on offense are worse then us save for robinson. their TE's and other WRs suck. their RB is average. trubisky sucks, and their o-line isn't good either. add robinson to bell, crowder, herndon, and periman and we aren't looking bad. too bad gase can't use them for shit but that's another issue. I'd be happy with OBJ too. he clearly doens't want to be in cleveland and loved NY but he is a headache but he's a talent we badly need and perfect for gase's offense

11. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

OBJ is a generational talent IMO. New York knows who he is.

Nothing against Robinson but if I get a choice it's OBJ.

My excitement level for the Jets in 2020 & beyond would be so high if they were to get OBJ. I'd buy a OBJ Jets jersey.

Just imagining the possibilities with OBJ and when Mims gets healthy with Becton at LT.:)

12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I don't think he is. He's a great WR sure. but I don't think he's a generational talent. He makes some amazing catches and he's great with YAC but he's no julio jones, calvin johnson, antonio brown etc. those were generational talents.

13. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

For those who didn't get the memo, Jets are only interested in useless over-the-hill journeymen WRs.

14. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

OBJ is never going to happen (and it shouldn't) - but imagine the salty tears of Giants fans if he turned his attitude and career around in the Jets green and white?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Ya OBJ is good, but he is no Robbie Anderson.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  16. I hate to say it cause i get all the drama & baggage he brings but OBJ is exactly what team needs skill wise from WR right now. Hes that fast Z who can seperate at all 3 levels that compliments all the tall fast rebounding types like Mims/Perriman/Herndon.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

boozer32 likes this.
  18. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I'm happy with the pick of Becton but we had a major need at WR. Next year. Always next year.

19. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

The problem (besides OBJ's past issues) is that the Browns aren't likely to part with him as they have playoff aspirations this year and giving up OBJ would certainly limit those chances. I suspect that is the case with most teams in their position. It's going to be difficult (ie. almost impossible) to pry a first class WR from any team in the same position. The idea to get Gallup (that GazedandConfused brought up earlier) would seem the most logical option if a trade were possible.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  20. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

I know, right? That means we're going to sign Danny Amendola next year.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.