Will or When would the Johnson's ever sell?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Sep 15, 2020.

1. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Humor me if you would, our team sucks enough to have this conversation.

For those of you that have taken the time to study it or have been around the team longer than I have (1998), do you think this team will be sold in the next 10 years?

It looks like the Johnson family is quite large and could keep this team in the doldrums for eternity.

Is there any glimmer of hope that this team could or would be sold in our lifetime?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'm not a Mets fan, but it appears that Steve Cohen will get control of that team from the Wilpons in a matter of months. Maybe there's a Jets fan who has the finances to buy the team.

3. When ever Woody gets back from the UK will be a pivotal timeframe esp if the team continues to lose. One would think a discussion would be had between the Righteous Brothers & family about what the future will hold.Has to be at least a remote chance they consider selling.

Edit:Crazy thought.But any chance Cohen would br a silent partner w Gary V giving him the funds he needs to make the Johnsons a competitive offer?

Cman68 likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Why would they sell? They've made a huge profit and there are no signs of it ending. Maybe with Covid-19 and if the NFL were to cancel the season, that might give them pause, but I doubt the NFL is going to fold up completely, so they should be assured of future profits. As much as I want to see them gone, I don't see it happening.

5. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Honestly I think our only hope is to somehow blackmail the Johnsons.

Where's V Stiviano when you need her?

6. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

If only there was a way to defund the Johnsons.

almost as if people stopped watching, going, and buying swag

But we have too many dumb fans running out to buy new Jersey’s of players who don’t GAF and get season tickets With PSL’s to brag to the neighbor bro next door

7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I’m compelled to say that I don’t actually “like” this, but I fully agree. NFL teams are cash cows. Imagine if you could sell a product that was in every way inferior to that of your competitors and still make bank.

Fucker is selling tin foil tooth brushes.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Honestly this is probably the only way the fans could have actual influence. Start streaming the games online. Stop buying jerseys. Stop buying tickets.

Seriously. These owners have done nothing but abuse us for a long long time and we keep coming back for more. We can't do much to change it but we can start by not supporting the perpetual dumpster fire.

IIMeanDeanII and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. FrontOfficeFanatic

This is my fear--if I was them I wouldn't sell. If you love football, probably the most fun hobby I can think of.

I think that's what separates the great owners from the average/lousy ones, some view it as a fun hobby and others view it as their legacy.

10. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Anyone else day dream of becoming a billionaire and dream of going to the Johnson's and offering to help run the franchise or do I just have a mental illness?

#10 Jedi mind tricks, Sep 15, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  11. FrontOfficeFanatic

I think this year will be a big hit for the team:

1) Virus and no fans
    2) political turbulence
    3) No stars on team
    4) Bad Coach
    5) Losing

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Why should they sell? The team's value has skyrocketed, and is a cash cow. What else would they do with their time?

13. DonnieBaseball23

DonnieBaseball23 Active Member

As a die-hard Yankee fan, my dream scenario is that Steve Cohen buys the Jets and builds a stadium in Flushing. The Johnson brothers are utter buffoons and we're going to be rebuilding every 4 years as long as they own the team.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I thought about this once and even went as far as urging others to stop going to games, stop buying team gear, etc. The reality is that even if every single fan turned in their season tickets, stopped going, stopped buying team gear, stopped watching, the Johnsons will still make a fortune from TV money that's divided equally among NFL teams. There would also be a whole new group of fans who would but the PSLs and tickets and eventually gear.

I think the only thing that might work would be for Jets fans to start buying billboards, ads on the internet, and hiring planes to fly banners over Jets games that insulted the Johnsons and made fun of them. If the media joined in, it might embarrass them enough, but doubt the media would.

I'm afraid that we're stuck with them.

papapump, NYJetsO12, Jets81 and 2 others like this.
  15. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

In real world you’re correct I can’t deny it...

but this climate could be the tipping point where ratings and profits drop so much, there might be a shot for the wealthy to sell high and cash out

Yes likely impossible.... But I still refuse to give these 2 buffoons my money- times change tho.

Who would have thought airlines and other monster industries could finally be brought to their knees by a flu? Certainly not me.

hopefully the greedy NFL is next

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Nobody's losing any money owning an NFL team, even this year, they may just need a few less trucks to haul away their profits. The big money maker is the appreciation from the time the team is bought and the time it's sold.

Twenty years ago Woody Johnson bought the team for 635 million dollars; it's currently worth 3.55 billion. That's an annual return on investment of about nine percent - not bad when it is actively producing about $130 million a year in operating income. If he needs a little walking around money he still has four or five billion stashed in his sock drawer. He'll sell the team only when it becomes a burden.

https://www.forbes.com/teams/new-york-jets/#5dae17845712

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rich-every-nfl-team-090000298.html

ColoradoContrails and Jets81 like this.
  17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Have an empty Met life stadium and stop buying any Jet products

Thats all you can do on your own,,at least we can vote Trump out of office ha

Collectively, a YES to 100 Billboards to have Johnson's exit this shit show

rammagen likes this.
  18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

This unfortunately is the reality of our situation. Unless the Johnsons do something REALLY STUPID, we're stuck with them until they die of old age. The only real hope we have is that they become silent partners and let real football people run the show instead of having CJ pretend to be a football savant.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

So the billboard should read:

1. FIRE GASE
    2. SELL THE TEAM

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Honestly they can keep the team. They did fine from 2000-2010. They just need to stay the fuck away from any meaningful meeting or hire.

ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.