JD - time to get on the horn and trade for a WR

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Don’t bet on JD trading away picks for a WR like Idzik did.

He has a plan to build through the draft, as much as I have liked Robinson coming out of Penn State, it’s not going to happen.

JD is building the offense through the draft and it’s going to take time to fix the mess that Macagnan left behind.

papapump likes this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it really sucks watching him go beats mode in KC this past week. great trade but poorly handled after. if we had kept him and put him on IR he would be our starting G over van roten this season

Jets81 likes this.
  3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Let's hope not, it will be hard enough getting him here to start with.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I just think Douglas wants to keep his draft picks and sees a decent list of Free Agent WR's for 2021 and will sign one of them and keep his picks. He has already shown he has no interest in winning in 2020, so I don't expect him to give up picks for Robinson even though I feel it could benefit Sam's growth.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

He would come here, get paid tons of $ and start an early retirement like Mosley Ding Dong Bell and Mo Wilkerson

That's why Douglas won't repeat what Mac got us used to

He will have to pull off a miracle undoing the shenanigans of our idiotic owners who pull the wool over the eyes of this Fanbase with their dumb hires>>Toilet Mac then extending that duo. Then goo goo eyes Gase over M McCarthy sheesh...The Johnsons are in lock step with their crony the other lying scrub Trump

#45 NYJetsO12, Sep 15, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'd love to have Robinson or someone of his caliber, but it's not going to happen at this point. I don't see Douglas giving up what it would take to get him and then pay him. JD has shown that he wants to build from the ground up through the draft mainly. Face it, the only chance for near term improvement is to to get rid of Gase and "Patton".

NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  7. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I honestly don't think that we know enough about JD one way or the other to say that this is or isn't the kind of move that he would make.

Right now we can it speculate about what it would cost contract wise and draft pick wise to bring him in. I'd guess that it would be too rich in both areas for JD's blood but we just don't know.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

FJF likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think that Douglas would make an offer. That's not his norm. Based on his words and actions so far, it certainly seems like he seeks to build through the draft, not add big contract FAs or trade early round draft capital for players. If he traded for Robinson now, could he even sign him to an extension at this point? If not, then I don't believe he will make an offer, and even if he could negotiate, I'd be shocked if he made an offer. That's why I don't understand why you would lose faith in Douglas. He is the total opposite of Idzik and Mac. He knows how to build a team. He knows talent. He believes in getting value for players he's trading and not over-paying in trades or in FA. He isn't the type to pay a lot in draft picks or money for a one-year rental of a player. He's not the type to put lipstick on a pig. I agree with him 100% in that regard. As much as I want better receiving talent on this team, I wouldn't want him to rent Robinson for a year, or trade multiple early draft picks for him. If he can get him for a third or second and sign him to an extension for a reasonable amount, fine, but I doubt that would happen.

Don't forget that Douglas could pick up the phone call Robinson's agent and inquire how much Robinson is looking for, and then call the Bears and see how much they want for Robinson. Either or both could be too much and Douglas never make an offer. That could happen and we could never know about it. He could even make an offer and our never find out about it until later. That's why I don't see the point of losing faith in or being done with Douglas.

#48 NCJetsfan, Sep 15, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  9. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I agree that the draft is going to be his base to build a long term contender. He’ll still need FA’s because this roster has so little talent. I’d part with a pick for a guaranteed 3-5 year starter. Especially at WR.

CotcheryFan and Red Menace like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

Actually, it would wind up being trading Seattle's 1st round pick in 2022 for Robinson and a third. I would do that as well, just don't know that Douglas would or that Robinson would agree to come here or stay if he had no choice in the trade.

11. NCJetsfan

I wouldn't say that he has no interest in winning in 2020, he's just not willing to burn draft capital or cap space to do it. I not only don't blame him, I think it's the smart thing to do. With no mini-camp, OTAs, a weird TC, no preseason, and a tough schedule, he knew that he'd be throwing good money after bad. No players that really could have helped the Jets were released following TC due to the larger Practice Squads and being able to stash veterans on the PS. He also knew that there was a chance that this season would never happen or could shut down at any point during the season. Why waste money and resources on something that might not even happen? I believe that prices are higher this time of year for trades, than they are following a season and leading up to the draft. He may have even known that Gase was the problem with Adams, that's the reason that Mosley is sitting out, and know that other players are unhappy with him as well. If that's true, why bring in players who will only wind up getting frustrated with Gase and want to leave too? He could be letting things play out with Gase so that he has justification for canning Gase, and use all the draft picks and cap space as a selling point in hiring the new HC.

12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

If that is the case, he should fire Gase already. That would be terrible. And by no interest in winning, I mean a Super Bowl. To make splash signings, etc. He is doing a slow build, which I am fine with. I just want to give Sam some help.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

He can't do that. He's Gase's peer and both report to ownership. The most he can do is go to Chris and tell him that Gase needs to be relieved of his duties ASAP.

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Obviously we don't know enough about him, but from what we DO know, it seems like he's going to try and follow the Ravens model of building from the ground up, and building a long term, sustainably winning team. That takes time, and I think that's one of the reasons he asked for a longer guaranteed contract. I'm as impatient as anyone, having waited since '69 for success, but I believe his approach is the right one. The only thing I would like to see however is trying to deliver some success sooner rather than later - I'm not expecting a SB in the next two years, but I sure would want to see them contending for the playoffs next year. Douglas needs to feel a sense of urgency - not "Win now!", but "Win soon!".

15. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Most players just wanna be paid...if we trade for him and give him a monster contract he’ll be happy

I’d think long and hard about trading maybe a 3rd for him even though he’s worth more....If the Jets were a contender I’d offer more

16. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Say what you want about mike T, he made some nifty trades for Holmes and Edwards on the cheap, turned out to be stepping stone to 2 championship games. We had cotchery, made nice group. We had some decent WR groups under Mike T.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nevbeats319 and Jets81 like this.
  17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Enlighten us as to how we treated that do nothing. He came to us on a big contract and an undisclosed injury. Did nothing and got paid a full salary and demanded he needed surgery after his first game.

18. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

True. Didn’t he draft Brick and Mangold? He’s one of a small group of GM’s to leave the Jets with a winning record. Also had the most playoff success as far back as I can remember.

nevbeats319 likes this.
  19. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

Big mistake letting him and Rex go

20. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I would like Robinson. While he may not be a difference maker this year, I think you need to build core of solid quality WRs playing together for the next couple of years to go along with TEs. Doesn’t mean they don’t draft a WR next year but gives them foundation on offense.