CJ Mosley opts out of 2020 season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 1, 2020.

1. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

The opt outs better be on their best quarantine behavior until 2021.

They made the choice they made it is what it is.

Better not get filmed or pictured throwing/attending bashes, violating social distancing guidelines, no masks etc.

People WILL be watching with PHONE CAMERAS AT THE READY!

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Obviously people have no lives either.

3. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I'm not sure i accept the logic. Under the same reasoning, if ANY player had a guaranteed contract why would they even bother trying hard, risk getting hurt etc. They would do the bare minimum to avoid some charge of fraud to void the contract. AND if it was all business decisions, none of these guys would even be there. Given the odds of making the NFL and the average career length, choosing a path of football is among the stupidest business decisions a person could make. So I'm not denying business/money plays a role, but it's not what got them there, and it's generally not what keeps them there (if they get there).

Complete conjecture on my part: he lost some of his passion -- maybe because of the losing, maybe for some other reason. COming to the Jets was a money grab. He couldn't get up for playing in a season which is probably going to be a mess, on a team that is still trying to turn things around.

Personally, i think it speaks to leadership.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

But if you were really good at something that could make you a lot of money wouldn't you pursue it at all costs? I do believe some players have an extremely deep rooted passion for the game and want to be great and all that jazz. But I also believe as generations pass on, that fire is leaving the game little by little. The evolution of the holdout + free agent mercenary who becomes a bag holding is evident of that in my eyes.

Maybe I'm jaded because we're Jets fans and nearly every big time free agent or homegrown contract we've signed over the past decade has turned into that. Not maybe actually - definitely. As there are definitely free agents and players in general that are willing to die on the field.

I just don't think Mosely or any player that opts out is doing anything more than making a smart business decision and in theory they believe they're preserving another year of a likely short career where they don't have to take hits and can still make more money than most of us and more than most of the country.

I do not blame him or any player whatsoever for opting out. Smart decision. I think if we all had the option to opt out of a year of work and still get paid and have our jobs waiting for us while we can do whatever we want for a year we'd do it.

I just don't think it's some noble thing or anything like. Especially for a guy that will see two games in three years and probably rendered relatively useless as a 31 year old inside linebacker who was slow to begin with when he returns.

twown and mrmajix like this.
  5. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say I "blame" them for opting out because that word can mean a lot of things to a lot of people and might sound too strong. I would put in on the scales though of how I judge a player

There's at least this illusion that players are doing what they love to do and yet they get paid for it. Without taking away how hard a lot of these guys needed to work and train to get there, it's an opportunity that certainly 100s of other talented players (who didn't quite make the cut) would covet.

And, at least to me, when guys make decisions like this (this time definitely different because of COVID) it kind of tarnishes the image of guys being all about competition and getting paid to play a game they love.

I would definitely feel differently in Mosley's case if opting out still didn't net 10 million. If he opted out for the 150 or 35o (or whatever the number is) I would feel 100% differently. there would be nothing to cloud the picture other than health concerns.

How many times in MLB or NBA do we see a guy get a big contract and then game disappears. And especially in NBA, the team and fans suffer because of the cap. it's disgusting that a team owner/FO can take a gamble on a player to try and improve the team, and if that guy disappears (whether by dogging it, injury, whatever) teams suffers twice: once from the player, and twice from the inability to recover. The NFL was probably the best of the bunch because those guys could at least be cut, though as we're seeing guaranteed money can complicate that picture and it seems the NFL is headed in the direction of the NBA and MLB in that regard. IMO this is not a good luck. If i were in charge i might allow guarantees for the bottom rung of players: those are the guys who need it the most, and probably risk injury the most just to stay on the roster. the idea that a guy can have already earned 10s of millions and needs a guarantee??? moral hazard. Guy gets a fat check and disappears, not good (looking at you revis)

6. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

No doubt about it--Mike McNitwit IS the worst GM ever. That is why nobody has hired him even to be a low-level scout after the jets canned him. Terrible drafting and a poor talent evaluator. Look at the HUGE free agent deals he threw out to Mosely, Trumaine Johnson (worst contract ever), Revis, Wilkerson, Fitzpatrick, Bell, and Enumwa. Yes, I know Enumwa became injured, but he HAD an injury history BEFORE MacIdiot inked him to all that guaranteed money. I swear that NFL agents could talk MacIdiot into anything. The difference between Douglas and MacCagnan was never more apparent than the way Douglas handled average--at-best LB Jordan Jenkins. Jenkins and his agent made clear that Jenkins would seek free agency unless the jets gave him a 4- year deal between $40-50 M. MacCagnan would have paid that, and we would be stuck with that contract for a middling player at best. Douglas instead called Jenkins bluff, and no other NFL team offered Jenkins squat--Jenkins crawled back to the jets on a one year $5M deal--a lot less than $40-50 M, would you say? Jenkins and his agent found out that Douglas will not throw huge sums of money at mediocre players like MacIdiot did.

Footballgod214, mrmajix and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Not sure how recent this picture is but saw it a few moments ago pop up on my feed.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I don't see how Mosley can remain on the roster in 2021. Douglas may have to eat some money and trade him. No way the organization is happy with him. No way any fan can like or support him after 2019 and now this 2020 opt out. I hope that photo is not recent, but either way, when you watched the team on Sunday it was tough knowing Mosley should be there.

9. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Mosley saw the writing on the wall for 2020.

Royal Tee and The Dark Knight like this.
  10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I knew as soon as he opted out with no valid reasons that he was going to be lost with the Jets. Nobody in the Jets locker room is going to respect him or even want him there. It will cause resentment. There is no way he can be a leader on this team anymore - if he ever really was.

We should trade Mosley now while his value is still high. We can sell the fact that he will be cheap next season.

11. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Told ya someone would catch these opt outs if they weren't careful.

I don't like this guy Mosely. I don't care how much media people continue to blow him in their articles.

Trying to build a Jets career/legend off those first three quarters against Buffalo in week 1 2019.:rolleyes:

94Abraham likes this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He has no value. He'll be three calendar years removed from game action and a 29 year old ILB with speed and coverage issues before his injuries/no game action.

I have to imagine there is very little chance he's on the roster next year by way of trading him for a bag of balls + a conditional 7th or cut outright.

Most of these dudes opting out did so because they secured enough of a bag that they'd rather take the year off and make the coronavirus money than not.

I'm sure some were legitimately concerned. But if you were worth $50+ million dollars and could not work for a year while making $150k anyways, why wouldn't you?

Royal Tee and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If we still have him at the end of the season then thats when you trade with Dallas. They are in constant need of MLBs and would likely go for Mosley.

14. DefenseWinsChampionships

No team will trade for him after two years of rust and an insane contract lol

15. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

haha fans are funny.

hope he is well. hope he doesnt get sick. hope he can continue his career next year.

16. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Based on brief searches, it seems this is an old photo a long time before COVID.

Also would explain his red colored dreadlocks which he does not have based on his recent social media posts

alleycat9 likes this.
  17. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Ya'll are so quick to hate this guy based on a random ass tweet of a photo someone claims to have taken. No source, nothing.

Not to mention he hasn't had the red dreadlocks since his time in Baltimore.

Insane

Footballgod214, alleycat9 and FJF like this.
  18. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Mosley should have done what the rest of the Jets are doing. Opt-out mentally, but still jog around on the field in a uniform getting paid.

19. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

I was thinking while watching my Sunday ticket, all of the great wrs and players we COULD have had while he was GM, we would would be light yrs ahead of where we are today, only if he was reasonably able. Then winning final game, so we miss bosa a generational talent, and get Q willliams. All to win meaningless game! Could have let the backups play! He would have had to take bosa! Even when big cat fell to him that turned to poop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackssmagic and tomdeb like this.
  20. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

its funny when the people who complain about cancel culture take part in it. fans are so disappointing sometimes. they literally have disdain and anger toward guys who didnt help their team or made decisions in their lives that effected "their" team. its idiotic. and i have absolutely been guilty about it in the past. but i am really trying to be a better fan.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.