The Darnold Dilemma

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsAreBadForYourHealth, Sep 13, 2020.

1. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

we'll see who is still in the league in ten years

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

But do you think Gase could possibly help Darnold hit those open receivers and limit the dopey turnovers if he had a quarterbacks coach working with him like 29 of the NFL teams do with their QBs?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

No, I don't.

Accuracy is one of the toughest things to fix in a QB. Usually they either have it or they don't. Same with decision making. Sam obviously knows that throwing into triple coverage is a bad decision. But he doesn't consistently realize that in the heat of the moment during games. There's nothing any coach can do about that.

Let me reiterate that I think Gase is a horrible coach and playcaller. But Sam is doing plenty of things wrong all by himself.

4. Ralebird

So, 91% of NFL teams are simply wasting time and money by having QB coaches?

A quarterbacks coach can help Brees, Wilson and Mahomes but not Darnold?

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Great explanation by Daniel Jeremiah here. I think that was my hope going into 2020. That Sam was a truck. He has shown that he is more of a trailer. That is fine, but not when the team around you is horrendous.

6. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

That's not what I said. QB coaches can help with some things for sure. Accuracy usually isn't one of them. Neither is making panic-driven mistakes like Sam often does.

Neither Brees nor Wilson nor Mahomes were ever known for accuracy or turnover issues. Sam committed a ton of turnovers in college and he's continued to do so every year he's been in the pros.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  7. Ralebird

You're entitled to your opinion.

My opinion is that a good coach can find things like foot placement and delivery angle adjustments that can improve accuracy. Things like seeing the field better can reduce panic situations. That's what QB coaches deal with daily - it's why they exist.

8. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

You can only run an offense that suits your players. No coach can do otherwise. Until they get more talent they have to look for chances to score off a good plays by a WR'ers, RB's or tthe QB. The defense and specials have to get good field position. The new punter should help but they must figure a way that he doesn't outkick the coverage. Chin up!

9. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I get your point but whatever level of offense they're going to run they should at least look prepared and be able to execute their plan at some level. No one is expecting them to be good the reason fans are jumping off the bridge is you can't even tell what they're trying to do. The players and coaches don't even seem to know.
    Look at the Giants last night. They lost, turned the ball over, not a good game but I feel better about that team because they seemed prepared and ready to play.
    If the Jets just lose to better teams no one would be freaking out like this we've seen that for decades but what we're seeing now is something else entirely. I've seen HS teams with better game plans than this.

Wahoo and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. Jesus

Jesus Active Member

Bro I can’t even begin...

REVISion and cval like this.
  11. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Exactly this. This team will end up BAD and hopefully bad enough to get his guy. Hopefully LAwrence. I wanted Sam to be it, but he isn't. There's something I can't describe about his throwing motion. It just doesn't look great (even when the ball is perfectly on the money.)

REVISion likes this.