The Return of The Hidden Production: A Quinnen Williams story

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 6-10 once again, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Quinnen is 21 years old and he still requires a double team on most plays. I know people hate hidden production but he is providing value for his age.

In NFL terms he is still a child. Its way too soon to demand that he becomes Warren Sapp. It would just be great if he does this soon. But if it takes time it is understandable.

BomberJet, truthbtold and chandler like this.
  3. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

We always wait too long. How is Chad Hansen doing in the league? When is Vernon Gholston HOF enshrinement, Darron Lee, Hackenberg, McDougle, Jace Amaro, Geno Smith and Dee Milliner. I wonder if the Jets could do better just throwing darts at their board. How much worst could it be? You see teams like the Ravens, Steelers always draft solid. Even the Pats who draft at the bottom of each draft round find talent. The Jets are just curse, I have to hit Douglas also for not reinforcing the receiver group this spring when they started dropping. He could have still had Robbie Anderson. It would not have hurt the salary cap that much. It would have made easing Denzel Mims into pro football. Bell needs to go also. It's obvious he and Gase do not get along and his way of voicing his displeasure is nagging injuries. He is someone you cannot depend on for a full season. There is a reason the Steelers let him walk.

4. boozer32

How much time you willing to wait? I see BUST right now and at some point you have to call it. The reason he is starting is because of status not production. So keeping the training wheels on forever is pointless. The BPA theory as been a disaster for the Jets. We had to revamp the entire offensive line because evidently the Maccagnan era drafts never though an offensive lineman could be the BPA for the Jets. It was always defense. A defense with high first and second round defensive players still sucked.

5. DefenseWinsChampionships

Leonard Williams looks way better than Q EVER HAS. Dude looks like Gholston out there.

boozer32 likes this.
  6. boozer32

Yeah, don't know what scouting report they were watching. The championship game should have turned them off. He was manhandled by the Clemson guard.

7. DefenseWinsChampionships

He looks like a fat POS on our d line and makes zero game changing plays. We all knew Josh Allen KY was the pick.

boozer32 likes this.
  8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I hate to say it but anyone who was being objective about Q even before the draft realized he was being way overhyped by the media.

He had one good season in college. He only did a couple of events at the combine and was only elite in one of them (the 40, which is irrelevant for interior DL). If you only do a couple of events at the combine it's because you know the others are not going to reflect well on you.

9. boozer32

How often are the Jets that lucky that a draft pick will step up and be a stud.

10. boozer32

Jenkins was a beast. QW is soft as medicated cotton.

11. REVISion

In what world is a 3rd overall pick "occupying double teams" good value?

You don't pick a guy 3rd overall to occupy space. It's early in his career but so far it's looking like Q was an atrocious pick.

boozer32 and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You're right. You don't. But if he becomes a good run stuffer it's better than nothing. And he's played one game this year.

A lot of you guys have such quick trigger fingers on players. Defensive tackle is the slowest developing position. Very few (even the great ones) have Aaron Donald production in their first year.

13. REVISion

Quick trigger fingers? We took him 3rd overall. Its not unreasonable at all to expect quick production. Josh Allen, who was available at our pick, is already a pro bowler.

If all Q amounts to is a good run stopper then it was a horrendous pick. Having a pick as high as #3 overall is extremely rare and it seems we wasted it.

We did these same things with Leo where we made endless excuses until it became completely obvious he wasn't good. Q was overhyped out of college and all the evidence we have so far indicates he's not very good in the NFL.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

It was the wrong pick. But that doesn't automatically mean it's a bad pick. He wasn't overhyped out of college too. He was a monster. He got a first place Heisman vote as a defensive tackle and 27 total.

I wish we took Allen. He was the obvious pick for this franchise. But I'm not ready to declare him a bust already.

15. REVISion

He was absolutely overhyped out of college. He had one good year of production on a stacked defense and wasn't even a combine freak. Watch his tape from college, he never jumped off the screen as a violent disruptor. Don't you remember all the people saying he was the next Aaron Donald? It was totally ridiculous. Donald is a future hall of famer. Q was extremely overhyped.

Q was an example of Mel Kiper saying something and everyone else in the media either being too dumb or too cowardly to disagree with it. Then GM's start believing it, so on and so forth.

Of course it's too early to say it was a bad pick without a shadow of a doubt. But you don't get paid as a GM to only realize things after everyone else has realized them. We should realize that we probably made a big mistake with Q and trade him while he still has value.

16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We cant change the pick. But being the wrong pick does not automatically make that pick a bad player. He 21 years old. That is several years younger than most players enter the NFL, especially at DT. He wont be done filling out his adult body until the end of next season. This is a player that can potentially get better and better for the next 5 years. Or he could bust out. Afterall he is on the Jets. If he starts dogging it and quitting on plays then we will have a bust. But he isn't doing that right now.

Also, I keep hearing the lament about not taking Allen. Allen was good when he was with a talented front seven last year. But he wouldn't have been that good on the Jets. Not even close. In fact, he is in a front 7 now that is similar talent wise to the Jets. His stats against the Colts on Sunday - 1 tackle and one assist. Don't be surprised if his season continues like that...like it would have last season if he was on the Jets.

And this draft people would have been saying we need to take a big tackle to free up Allen. Maybe Allen would have been a better pick but in reality it is probably a push. As the season goes on we'll know more.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Sounds like you didn't watch the games, bro. He was the best player on a good defense. His only knock was having only a year of production.

Go back and watch some film if you can find it or read some draft profiles. He was a bonafide stud player at Alabama. It was the wrong pick for the Jets given our defensive tackle history but it's not like he was some shitty prospect we reached on.

18. REVISion

Draft picks don't happen in a vacuum. Q isn't some rando we signed off the streets who turned out to be good enough to start. We paid a massive price for him in the form of a 3rd overall pick.

Do you buy bad quality shoes at a high price and feel good about your purchase? The price you pay is inherently related to how you feel about the outcome.

I have been a Jets fan for long enough to know all the excuses. You sound exactly like the people defending Leo early in his career when it was obvious to anyone actually watching him play that he just wasn't good.

19. REVISion

I
    I literally have no idea what point you're trying to make. Q's time in the pros, so far, has proven that he's not the guy everyone thought he was coming out of college.

Could that change? Maybe. Sure, it's possible. But you're denying reality unless he improves.

I'm not denying that the draft profiles raved about him. That's actually part of my point. Almost everyone was wrong on him.

20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

If Sam fails, Mac will go down in history as the most incompetent, team destroying GM ever. A feat almost impossible to achieve after his predecessor dismal record. Tell me one good thing this idiot ownership has done to lift this team from this embarrassment of a legacy.