The good part of week 1, 2020 for the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dmw, Sep 15, 2020.

1. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I heard about several good performances:

Becton, Marcus Maye, Bless Austin

and the new punter did pretty well, right?

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

The good part of week 1 is that it is over.

K'OB, NYJetsO12, barfolomew and 7 others like this.
  3. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Crowder had a big game.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  4. DefenseWinsChampionships

It's actually a bad sign that Becton look awesome but yet Sam looked like trash out there despite great blindsided protection.

What does Sam need 5 All Pros on the O Line just to look capable?

REVISion and dmw like this.
  5. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Well that is going to be the question of what Douglas and/or Chris Johnson needs to sort out. Is Sam who they want to continue with after year 4? Do they blame Gase for his lack of progress? Assuming we have a lackluster season < 6 wins, I don’t see how both Gase and Darnold could return. Of course I much rather Gase go, but I wouldn’t rule out the possibility that Gase stays and we draft a new QB (though I don’t want Gase to ruin him either).

What I believe to be the most likely situation is that if we don’t have a top 3 pick, then Gase is gone and there one last attempt made to get this offensive working with Sam as their QB in year 4.

6. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

This is my worst fear. Gase stays. I can see it happening.

Loyalty is a great quality in an individual, and from what I can gather, Gase played a role in bringing Douglas to the Jets.

The question will be, is Douglas loyalty to Gase more important than turning this franchise around, because I don’t see that happening until Gase is gone.

rscherwin likes this.
  7. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Well ironically we may be in a better spot because the owner makes hiring/firing decisions in terms of coach so Chris Johnson could fire Gase and get around that loyalty entirely. But that would be admitting he made a mistake, which I am not sure he would do. Woody Johnson possibly coming back could effect things too. It’s a complete unknown at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

The power structure is interesting to think about. Ultimately the owners make the call, but I can’t help but think that Douglas has the most influence regarding that kind of decision. I have a feeling that eventually Douglas will be calling all the shots, regardless of where he shows up on the hierarchy.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Douglas knows the name of the game in this business is winning. I'm certain that if the team continues to look unprepared, plays sloppily, continues losing, and/or if Gase loses the team, if Douglas can fire him, he will. If Gase truly is the problem, and that certainly appears to be the case, then it makes Douglas look bad because the players he has brought in aren't helping the team win. He knows that it's a business and producing and winning are more important than friendships. He knows his own career could be on the line, and I don't think that he would be willing to risk his reputation and career on Gase. If he would be willing to risk his reputation and career, then he isn't the right man to be the Jets' GM.

#9 NCJetsfan, Sep 15, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    NYJetsO12, LAJet and Jets81 like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I sure hope that you're right. That's certainly the way that it needs to be. I think Chris Johnson will move in that direction. Woody OTOH, likes to meddle and be a dilettante.

Jets81 likes this.
  11. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

which makes the hoodie's decision to resign after 24 hrs as ' hc of the nyj" look smart since he specifically said

that he wanted to avoid either dolan or the johnsons. some body must have tipped him off.

events after that for both proved that advice was correct.

12. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I think the Jets are in better shape than people think. They have significant talent on defense and also on offense. Sam has a decent o-line and decent receivers. He just sucked on Sunday. Now the big "if" is whether Sam can uplift his game to the level of the 2nd half of last season. If he can, then the Jets will be in decent shape this season.

BomberJet likes this.
  13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I think our only saving grace is Chris steps in now, admits his mistake and fires Gase. Elevate Williams as acting and task JD to make the final choice next year. Players will come for the right coach. And this time, I don’t want the best offensive minded coach, I want the best HC in the making period. Someone that will get the respect of his entire team. Then appoint a no shit young stud as offensive coordinator.

14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Just need a new RB, two new WR's and the offense is good to go.

15. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

The good part is ratings tanked

proof most just watch sports to get away from life

not to get a political message up the ass non stop....

94Abraham and dmw like this.
  16. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I'm still a Jets fan, but I didn't watch the game either. I just watched the highlights and Youtubers' analysis.

17. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Add a Right tackle , RG and LG and your closer...

18. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Literally, that was it.
    Luvu & Langi (not a law firm) made some nice plays when they got opportunities to.

Jets81 likes this.
  19. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Langi was laying on some wood. A lot of energy. Liked what I saw from him. Need more of that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boozer32 likes this.
  20. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

lol exactly. Anyone who thinks we have anything resembling a collection of talent needs to put the bottle(s) down. From ownership down to the water boy, we are the least talented organization in the NFL. I bet our water boy would be ranked 32nd of all NFL water boys.......the Wayne Hunter of water boys