Josh Doctson opts out of 2020 season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Good question.

Please keep all politics in the Politics forum. Thank you.

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You've been here almost your whole life? What, fourteen years? Not a word of your post here is pertinent to the topic at hand and every word is a personal attack. That violates the terms of service.

I have never been a registered Democrat and have never worked for them. Those are facts. I have never received anything of value from George Soros but I did meet him once - he was driving a low end Mercedes diesel that was a few years old, kind of beat up and dirty; he was wearing a plastic watch and cheap shoes; I believe he probably had some bad cheap coloring in his hair. More facts, with a bit of clearly identified opinion.

I speak no drivel, I support my claims - still waiting for you to support yours, if you haven't been permabanned yet.

3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

So, was Doctson going to make an impact or did he see the writing on the wall that he would be cut?

azhar80 likes this.
  4. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

He hasn't been because now he's posting his fuckin bullshit in the training camp thread.

Edit: he is temporarily banned for now

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

So he’s opting out and getting $150,000 guaranteed so that he can travel to do humanitarian work? It’s extremely admirable obviously but this is just an abuse of the system.

Mr mittens likes this.
  6. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

It’s the same for Laurent Duvernay-Tardif. His quote was basically, if I’m going to expose myself to the virus, I’ll do it for my patients. If this is true for Doctson, what’s so different?

7. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I say good for Docston to do something productive with his time off rather than playing video games all day.

All Gas No Shake and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

His career is pretty much over anyway after he opted out. He's not taking a huge pay cut by opting out either (only a quarter of what he would be due IF he made the team).

9. BroadwayAaron

I said it’s extremely admirable, he’s doing something good with his time off. I’m just saying it seems like an abuse of the system to collect the check if you’re not gonna sit home and stay safe. Duvernay-Tardif is seeing patients and helping stop the pandemic. Like I said it’s hard to be upset it just seems... wrong in a way.

Mr mittens likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Doctson will have to repay the $150k next season, so that really removes any wrongdoing or abuse imo. It's not like he's getting an extra $150k for doing nothing. Of anything, he's probably killing his last chance at a career in the NFL by taking this year off. Will the Jets take him seriously next year and give him an opportunity to make the team, or will they just cut him at the first possible opportunity? I greatly respect his wanting to help others, and you did point that out, so I'm not criticizing you. Unless he has some special knowledge or skills, however, it seems to me, that the wiser course would be to bust his butt to make the Jets this season, earn his $825k salary, and then he'd have some serious coin with which to try to help the people of Rwanda. Unless he saved most of his earlier earnings, he may not have much money with which to try to help at present. At any rate, I wish him well.

11. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

It sucks but I can't blame any of them. These players have kids, they have parents, elderly grandparents, with pre existing conditions. They don't want to get it and then pass it along to a family member. Plus the issue with lung damage...these guys need their lungs. I absolutely hate but it feels like football 2020 is totally doomed.

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

While I understand Ownership's reasoning behind playing the '20 season however, I also understand why the Players don't want to risk their lives. Playing in front of empty stadiums can't help the bottom line but cancelling the season for safety's sake would do wonders for the image of the Owners. I think they should just write off the 2020 season and also cancel the draft as in all likelyhood, there won't be a NCAA season either. Roll all of it into 2021 and just start from there.

13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Risk their lives? This is not Ebola.

14. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

And here we go......

For the record, Ebola killed 11k people worldwide

COVID-19 has killed 722k so far.

That's 65x more than Ebola.

That was a really dumb comment LOL

#94 Falco21, Aug 8, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    Ralebird likes this.
  15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The money has to be paid back. He’s taking a risk but I think he’s doing the right thing. Do some good while living in Africa, won’t spend much of the 150 there and give it a go next year when there’s a preseason and he can put down tape for the other 31 teams too.

16. Cman68

No, its Covid and its killed more Americans than Ebola has. To be on the safe side, the NFL should just cancel the 2020 season. There's not enough money you can pay someone to risk contracting a virus that could kill their family and/or cause permanent damage to themselves.

17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Come on. You get Ebola you are pretty much dead. You get Covid as a healthy athlete the most is you will get sick.Covid kills the elderly and those that have preexisting conditions. Stop making shit up.

Schools are considering opening because of this. Most restaurants and grocery stores and businesses are now open because of this.

Covid is only a death sentence for the very few. Ebola is the exact opposite.

These players are being tested daily. Much safer to play IMHO.

Keep spouting fear and ignorant comments.Name me one athlete who got Covid on the field of play.

Science says you have to be in close proximity with somebody for 15 minutes and is very difficult for it to spread out doors.

Science is on the side to play. The danger is bringing in fans packed in like sardines for 4 hrs. Not the players.

The players are more at risk not playing not getting tested and potentially spreading the virus to grandma when they do not know they are infected.

Sec124DieHard likes this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

I bet you there is enough money... especially when the players aren’t calling the shots. Regardless the players had the chance to opt out and only 60ish did. I think once people showed up to camp and realized how extensive the measures are to keep them safe, it changed a few minds. What’s it been two weeks? They are already at no additions to the covid list with almost everyone off it. That will change for sure but if they are testing before games and then the players are following guidelines/being tested during the week then it’s going to be pretty smooth. It’s amazing how science works when you give it a chance.

Cman68 and cval like this.
  19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

What is the assumption you have greater getting the virus playing?

Please show me one study to support this assumption?

20. Cman68

Don't be ridiculous.. There's no data because no one is playing full contact sports except perhaps the NBA since the virus began. Look, you can be a covid skeptic all you want and that's fine. These Players have their own decisions to make regarding their lives and if they don't want to play, they don't have to. If they opt out, they opt out and its nobody's business but theirs as to why. If you don't like it, its not your life on the line. If the NFL doesn't give a shit, then its up to the players to take care of themselves and if that means they don't play, so be it. Again, the NFL should just cancel the season.

Falco21 likes this.