Predicting the Final 53 man roster for 2020

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jul 30, 2020.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Just taking a shot what our roster/starters will look like.
    * indicates likely to be on pup and not counted towards roster to start the year
    bold indicates rookie
    players are listed in order from starters to backups

Offense - 25

QB - 3
    Darnold
    Flacco *
    Fales
    Morgan

My guess is we keep 3. we'll cut fales when flacco comes back. I doubt we want to leave a rookie as the only other QB on the roster to open the year but we don't want to PS him and have him stolen so he'll likely take up a spot and not play all year

RB - 3
    Bell
    Gore
    Perine

RB is tough whether we keep 3 or 4. I'm thinking 4 is most likely. Bell is the starter easily. gore is the primary backup. after that it gets tough. Perine makes it as he is a rookie mid round pick. Originally I had adams over cannon but looking at the roster I don't think we can carry a 4th RB.

TE/FB - 3
    Herndon
    Griffin
    Wesco

This group is easier to predict. we don't have a true FB like most teams but wesco fills that need and since he's in year 2 likely sticks around. herndon is easily the starter and most talented. Griffin played well and got a new contract. I Don't think we keep brown as there isn't room on the roster

WR - 7
    Perriman
    Mims
    Crowder
    V. Smith
    Berrios
    Doctson
    Cager

This group is the hardest to predict. so much mediocrity plus 2 UDFA players we can't see in preseason. The top 3 are locked in with mims and perriman on the outside and crowder in the slot. after that it's really a toss up. vyncent smityh showed some flashes last year likely enough to make the team. berrios was out PR and plays well on special teams so should earn a spot. he also had some nice plays at WR too. Enunwa is listed but on pup and I doubt he plays at all and if he does I don't think he lasts long. that leaves a group of 5 players with 2 spots. I went with former 1st round bust doctson at leats has experiance and several 500 yard seasons but his 5th year option was declined he signed with the vikes got injured. finally got to play and had 7 snaps then was released. likely his last shot at making a team. outside of that I think cager has the best shot to stick if we keep 7 but we may only keep 6 and place cager on the PS.

EDIT: Jets released enunwa. removed him but I never had him count against the roster due to injury

OT - 4
    Becton
    Fant
    Edoga
    Mcdermott

I think we only keep 3 here as we'll likely keep 6 interior lineman and 9 is way more then enough to keep. becton likely stats at LT with fant at RT and edoga as a swing injury replacement. if edoga could beat out fant though that would be huge for is.

EDIT: with winters being released, I added mcdermott. he seems most likely to make the roster out of the rest of the o-line players we currently have

OG - 3
    Lewis
    Van Roten
    Clark

Winters didn't get cut so with his salary he'll start. lewis just got extended. We signed van roten for depth. We drafted clark in the 4th so he stays as well

EDIT: Jets have released winters oficially. removed him

C - 2
    Mcgovern
    Harrison

Easy pick here. Mgcovern got the big contract to be our starter. harrison is a decent backup.

Defense - 25

D-line 7
    Q. Williams
    Anderson
    Mclendon
    Shepard
    Foley
    Franklyn-Myers
    Phillips

D-line is one of our deepers spots. Anderson, Q and mclendon likely start with Q playing DE and he slides inside on 4 man fronts. Sherpard and espicially foley flashed huge last year I can't see them gone. Phillips had good moments too as did franklyn myers. Willis had moments but I don't think he makes the team. we are too deep but i think he catches on somewhere

ILB - 4
    Williamson
    Onwuasor
    Hewitt
    Cashman

Another area we wound up really deep on with injuries last year. hewitt looked good as did cashman and a couple others who won't make the team. mosely is the starter and since we kept williamson I think he starts. onwuasor is the primamry backup. I could see hewitt getting cut if need be or cashman but i'd rather keep cashman if that's the case younger and more potential.

EDIT: Mosley opted out so removed him. now williamson and onwuasor become the starters with cashman and hewitt as the backups.

OLB - 4
    Jenkins
    Luvu
    Bashman
    Zuniga

This area is pretty weak for us Zuniga is a rookie so he stays. Jenkins has been solid so we signed him for another year. outside of that is a bunch of JAGs my best guess is luvu and basham make it. Make huff does as an UDFA but I think he winds up on the PS

CB - 7
    Desir
    Bless
    Poole
    Maulet
    Hall
    L. Jackson

CB is like WR for us. very weak position. desire is the defacto 1 for 2020 and better then what we had but nothing great. Bless I think wins the 2 spot but he could get beat out by maulet. He plays tough and hard but isn't that talented. he'll be on the roster though. I think rookies hall and jackson make it. we could keep hairston if we keep 7 but I don't think we do and I think he is released

Edit: with mosley opting out I think we keep hairston who can also play safety so versatile and adds more experiance to the CB group which has a lot of young players

S - 3
    Mcdougald
    Maye
    Davis

We thought we would have top tier safeties but jamaal and his little pee pee cried his way off to a winning team. Mcdougald we got back in the trade takes his place alongside maye. rookie davis seems to be a steal and hopefully makes an impact. I don't think 3 is enough but had to make some cuts and if need be a CB could swing to safety for us

Special Teams - 3 (Returners are listed elsewhere)
    K
    Maker

I think he beats out ficken

P
    Mann

Obvious Choice we just drafted him and no other punter on the roster

LS
    Hennesey

Been here doing it for a while. doubtful we cut him he's really good

Returners
    Berios
    Smith

I have all 9 rookies making the team plus 2 UDFA (CB jackson and WR Cager) althought cager could be put on the PS for a bubble player like CB hairston, SS farley, or RB adams

EDIT: Removed mosley (opt out) added hairston to replace him

EDIT: removed qunicy and winters after they were released

#1 GasedAndConfused, Jul 30, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    Brook!, joelip, IDFjet and 1 other person like this.
  2. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Very nice post--thx for your work on this.

I have 2 opinions that differ:
    1. I can't see Winters on the roster unless they redo his contract. You seem to imply the window to cut him is gone--is that accurate?

2. Bless is a starter unless injured. Don't know if your "isnt that talented" is referring to Bless or Maulet. If Bless, couldn't disagree more. He's got catlike reflexes and understands the game.

BrickcityJet and Brook! like this.
  3. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

This is going to be difficult this year, assuming they actually have a season. My version of this would have the following changes:

(+) RB Adams...he showed some skills with the Eagals a few years ago while JD was there.

(+) WR George Campbell, UDFA WVA
    (-) WR Cager, UDFA, UGA
    Cager's only advantage over Campbell is 1" and 15 lbs. We have TEs for the role he brings, which is size on the RZ. Campbell also has the height but is way faster, plus he has experience and desire to play STs. I think the latter is what gets him on the roster.

(-) OG Winters
    It will be really difficult to keep 4 OGs plus Harrison who will play either C/G. Given his contract and the other guys brought in I think he's the most likely to walk.

(+) CB Quincy Wilson
    (-) CB Arthur Maulet
    Maulet did alright last year out of necessity but the Jets clearly wanted to upgrade the position. Even though it was only a 7th round pick, the Jets still invested draft capital in Wilson who is still really young. I think he makes the team and I'm cautiously optimistic that GW can get the best out of him.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  4. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

cryingjordan.jpg

Feels bad man... Just any excitement for this season keeps taking hit after hit

5. GasedAndConfused

1) winters could still be cut. IIRC his salary doesn't become guaranteed until he makes the final roster. I just think that if we kept him this long and with how much JD wants to protect sam, that we will keep him.

2) The way I wrote it up sounds wrong. What I mean to say was maulet isn't that talented but he plays hard and is tough. Bless is very talented but made some mental errors which got him benched last year in favor of maulet. If bless keeps making those errors in camp GW could deem him not ready and stick with maulet over bless. Bless is very talented and I have high hopes for him his only issue is staying healthy but other then that he has a chance to be a legit #1 CB in the NFL if he can learn the position and playbook better which takes time
    right? got paid 40 mil already and won't even play his 3rd game as a jet until 2021

6. GasedAndConfused

well winters was just cut so there you gp

7. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

53 Man Projection

Offense (24)

QB (3)
    Sam Darnold
    Joe Flacco
    James Morgan

RB (3)
    Le’Veon Bell
    La’Mical Perine
    Frank Gore

TE (3)
    Christopher Herndon IV
    Ryan Griffin
    Daniel Brown

WR (6)
    Breshad Perriman
    Denzel Mims
    Jamison Crowder
    Vyncint Smith (KR)
    Braxton Berrios (PR)
    George Campbell

LT (1)
    Mekhi Becton

LG (2)
    Alex Lewis
    Josh Andrews

C (2)
    Connor McGovern
    Jonathan Harrison

RG (2)
    Greg Van Roten
    Cameron Clark

RT (2)
    George Fant
    Chuma Edoga

Defense (26)

LDE (2)
    Quinnen Williams
    Kyle Phillips
    Jordan Willis

NT (2)
    Steve McLendon
    Folorunso Fatukasi

RDE (2)
    Henry Anderson
    Nathan Shepherd

LOLB (2)
    Jordan Jenkins
    Frankie

LILB (2)
    Avery Williamson
    Neville Hewitt

RILB (2)
    Patrick Onwuasor
    Blake Cashman

ROLB (3)
    Jabari Zuniga
    Tarell Basham
    Bryce Huff

CB (6)
    Pierre Desir
    Blessuan Austin
    Brian Poole
    Bryce Hall
    Quincy Wilson
    Arthur Maulet

SS (2)
    Bradley McDougald
    Bennett Jackson

FS (2)
    Marcus Maye
    Ashtyn Davis

Special Teams (3)

K
    Sam Ficken

P
    Braden Mann

LS
    Thomas Hennessy

2 UDFA’s make it on my projection. Bryce Huff and George Campbell.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  8. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I hope you're right about Campbell--have you heard anything recently that makes you think he's going to stick?

9. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I haven’t heard anything but I know he plays multiple positions on different special teams units, which is the foundation for my projection.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

gonna be harder than usual for undrafted guys to make the team. However, they will need to stay by the phone because the virus might turn a roster upside down in less than a week

11. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

QB (3)- Darnold, Flacco, Morgan (Fales initially #2 until Flacco returns)
    RB (4)- Bell, Gore, Perine, Adams (expect Jets to find a waiver at RB
    WR (7)- Perriman, Mims, Crowder, Doctson, Smith, Berrios, Campbell (Berrios PR, Campbell ST gunner and ace
    TE (3)- Herndon, Griffin, Wesco
    OL (9) - Becton, Lewis, McGovern, Van Roten, Fant, Edoga, Clarke, Harrison, McDermott
    DL(7)- Q.Williams, Phillips, McLendon, Fatukasi, Shepard, Willis, Zuniga
    LB (8) - Jenkins, Williamson, Cashman, Burgess, Hewitt, Onwasor, Huff, Basham
    DB (10)- Desir, Wilson, Austin, Hairston, Hall, Maulet, Maye, Davis, McDougald, Fairley
    ST (3)- Ficken, Mann, Hennessy

#11 Mogriffjr, Aug 5, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I bet that ex-Dallas kicker wins the kicking job

Aero likes this.
  13. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

One less WR, add James Burgess (ILB), especially now that Mosley opted out and Avery Williamson probably won't be a Jet next year. He outperforms his pay.

I'm also thinking we may see some 3 safety packages, so I can see carrying 4 safeties, so possibly remove Fales (QB).

14. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I may be wrong cuz I'm basing on memory, but I don't think the NYJ have started the season with 7 active WR in at least 20 years.

Cakes would know right away--anyone remember that dude or know where he is?

15. Mogriffjr

Yeah I have a hard time trying to find someone to take off. for somme reaosn I feel Campbell has a great shot at the roster due to him having ST experience and they need someone with his speed to be a gunner...basically take Cannon's role. If what you said is correct, I'd say doctson won't make it.

16. Rhodes Scholar

I think you have 10 DBs, not 8. I was thinking, damn, somehow you were able to keep everybody on the team, haha.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  17. Mogriffjr

LOL just noticed...i'm actually one over.
    I'd drop a WR Doctson or maybe DE Franklin Myers