CJ Mosley opts out of 2020 season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 1, 2020.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

wow I can't believe the players agreed to that

dawinner127 likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Spot on! I couldn't possibly agree more. I'm not sure that I could have voiced my thoughts on this as clearly or as well as you did. Thanks.

3. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Well Mosley is unique in such a large chunk of his money this year was a roster bonus. I haven’t looked at every player opted out but most will not collect any 2020 money aside from the $150k. It’s more Mac’s fault for bad structure than an indictment on the policies of the league during the pandemic.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. ILoveTheJets

ILoveTheJets Active Member

Actually, they can opt out after this Thursday on 2 conditions if a player that has a new diagnosis that he is high risk or a player's family member dies, is hospitalized or otherwise moves to a medical facility because of COVID-19 or related condition.

5. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Tbh I'd rather have them cancel the season than have a slapdick season.

6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The logic in this is bananas. We paid the guy 19 million for last year. It was a gamble that we lost - but it was worth a try. We paid him 10 million of what is now next years salary, this season. We are going to have 10 picks in the first 3 rounds over the two years he comes back. With 17 million a season against the cap from 2022-2024. We wont have much money to sign free agents - except maybe one or two stop gap guys next year with the 10 million we already paid Mosley this year. However, we will already be able to draft our needs for those seasons.

He has been sitting out since week 6 of last season. Get out of here with that more time to rest and reset. He is getting older and a 2 year break is not going to improve his game. He is quickly becoming not the player that we signed for 17 million a year. And that is aside from his "lack of fire" comments, which really start to make him not worth the money.

Our defensive captain, the highest paid player on our team, the highest paid LB in the league - needs to find fire for the game? I'm not going to make excuses for that. He only played a game and a half last season - what does he mean he needs fire? As a Jets fan I've seen this before.

If we unload him before the next draft teams might offer a decent deal, as he is still a big name player and his cap hit will be much smaller in 2021. A win now team would likely take the bait. If we wait until after 2021 two things work against us. 1. He might have a very average season in 2021, or worse get injured again, and lose any real trade value he had. 2. He will have a 17 million cap hit from 2022-2024. If he is not a pro bowl starter in 2021 nobody is going to take that on - even a win now team. Didn't we just shed a DB with a carbuncle contract? Now we wanna carry another one?

The only chance we have of winning in our current situation is if an older, two seasons off, looking for fire player, comes back and has a pro bowl - or at least above average season in 2021. That doesn't happen very often. Red flags are popping up around this guy.

BTW - with the Patriots situation we are a playoff contender already.

#266 ouchy, Aug 5, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The structure was pretty common for a big name player. Nobody could have predicted the pandemic or that Mosley would take advantage of an opt out loophole during a year he was guaranteed a large bonus. Plenty of players are getting bonus' this season and not opting out. To be honest, he could retire right now and we would have paid him 30 million dollars for a game and half of football.

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Half the fans will definitely opt out. Hey oh!

But yeah, that would be terrible. I can't believe the people that assume the season will run smoothly. It definitely won't. Coronavirus is too out of control and could get worse in the Fall. You are going to have guys traveling across the country, city to city, literally grabbing and breathing on each other. One tiny mistake could have a huge ripple effect.

9. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

In response to your first point, it’s true, however $10mm as a roster bonus is pretty huge. Generally they are a bit lower. Anyway it was just a way too big contract for the position.

In regards to your second point, actually teams have the right to go after bonus money if a player retires. Many times they do not, because it is an understandable reason or the player was good for them for a long time, like Luke Kuechly or Travis Frederick. But if Mosley retired, the Jets for sure would go after some of his bonus money.

ouchy and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

It should rum smoothly unless players are foolish outside of football. Players will be tested daily and there is now a 10 minute test. I doubt they anyone will contract the virus on game day. (Has there been any cases in any sport athletes getting Corona while actually playing?

If players are smart and stay out of clubs the season should be fine. That maybe a big if. I can see players contracting Covid elsewhere and losing a player or two for a game.

11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

The problem is if one or two players are stupid and they bring it back then the next thing you know is 10-12 players have it and the roster is ravaged.

Each team needs to follow the Saints lead and create their own bubble for this to work.

NCJetsfan and RochesterJet like this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

your logic is crazy. what we paid him last year and this year is irrelevant. we can't do anything about that. all we can do is look to the future. in 2021 he will only cost 7 mil against the cap which is pennies for his talent. it's the same williamson and winters were making. and they are much less talented. on top of that if we trade or release him he counts 19 million in 2021. You really want to lose mosely and 12 mil in cap space for 2021? a year in which the cap is going to go down? and he'll only be 29. we could release him or trade him in 2022 and save 5 mil and he'll be 30 that is an option. 2023 is the bets year to release him where we can save 15.5 mil in cap space and he'll be 31. you are speaking more on emotion then logic which is bad for a GM. had JD done that no way we get 2 1sts for adams. he just gets pissed and trades him for pennies. you have to be cool calm and smart when building a team.

MoWilkBeast and papapump like this.
  13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

If teams are using the 10 minute test they should not get in the building with a positive test. I have no idea how long it takes to show on a test before you are positive and contagious.

14. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I'm probably in the running for Macc's top critic, yet i still have a hard time on blaming him for this. How could he foresee this situation?

Here's the real question: Would Mosely have opted out if the contract or league rules said you don't get this years guarantee if you opt out? I don't know his situation but i smell a big money grab

mrmajix and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i already explained how his opt out will cost him about 16 mil and how it helps the jets. it's far from a cash grab. he's already rich some things are more important then money

16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I heard on the radio today that we don't have a test that can tell you the result inside 45 minutes.

17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

K'OB likes this.
  18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Its not emotion, its logic. You believe that a guy who has not played a full season since 2018 will come back in 2021 and still be a pro bowler.

He gets older and loses a bit of speed. He takes two years off so will not only be rusty, if he doesn't continue to work out he will be out of shape. And we don't even know how bad his injury last season was? Did he lose a half step from it, because its rare to miss that much time for that injury. Odds are the CJ Mosley that we see next year wont be the same player we saw opening day last year. Your acting like we are getting a pro bowler for cheap in 2021, but that is wishful thinking. The reality is we now have a giant contract for an injured guy who is losing his fire to play.

If we eat 12 million next season, it will still be worth saving 50 million going forward. We have a boatload of young talent coming.

That said Gase, your pretty good with the cap numbers so I gotta ask. This was just announced:

Teams are set to gain additional cap space after the NFL management council informed them that signing bonus prorations for players who opted out of the 2020 NFL season will be removed from the team's payroll and toll to 2021 instead.

Does that affect Mosley's 10 million? I'm not sure it includes guaranteed money.

Also, I just read an article that NE just got a bunch more cap space this season because of it and they predict they will use it on Clowney.

mrmajix and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

20. MeanGreenMachine92

MeanGreenMachine92 New Member

The ruling class decided in March that there's not gonna be a real season who really gives a shit