CJ Mosley opts out of 2020 season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 1, 2020.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I'm just saying to remember players are people too not robots

alleycat9 likes this.
  2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Alan Hurns just opted out in Miami. Makes 50 players now

The Dark Knight likes this.
  3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

No one near as good or having as big of a contract as Mosley though, right? I guess maybe Hightower in NE. I don't know the whole list of guys who opted out though.

4. Falco21

Bills - Star Lotulelei
    Packers - Devin Funchess
    Patriots - Dont'a Hightower, Patrick Chung
    Eagles - Marquise Goodwin
    Chiefs - Damien Williams

Some of the bigger names who have opted out. Believe me, the Jets are not the only ones suffering from this. At least we only had two players opt out so far. The Patriots have 8!

The Dark Knight likes this.
  5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I'll bet they're not just for Xmas either?

6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

And on that score it makes me feel like Belicheat is up to fucking something.

twown, alleycat9 and cval like this.
  7. Falco21

That's what people are joking about, but there is no positive in any of this lol

K'OB likes this.
  8. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Anyone know if they can also later "opt in" as Nick Markakis did with the Braves?

9. GasedAndConfused

no. the NFL said they can't opt back in. it was part of the deal. they also have a deadline where they have to declare they are opting out

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  10. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Even he couldn’t, if we are 6-0, he might regret. Lol. Unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

He's no big loss.

The team is already used to playing without him. The guy has barely played for the Jets.

Who knows if he'll ever play for them again? The Jets could decide to cut their losses and eat the rest of the contract in 2021 after this.

I read his comments in the paper this dude is fast approaching the Santonio Holmes zone to me.

mrmajix likes this.
  12. Falco21

He's a very big loss. The fact that you say he's not, proves you are clueless in this conversation as well as every other one you have

#252 Falco21, Aug 4, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    alleycat9 and barfolomew like this.
  13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

That is all the big name from this.

More than half the players that have opted out are players that were competing for a third string roster spot. A few have family members battling chronic illness. Some have chronic injuries.

More than half the teams have zero opt outs.
    Only six teams have a starter opting out.
    Only two teams have a pro bowler opting out - us and the patriots.

The Patriots are clearly trying to tank the season while resting/retaining some of their older blue chip players. BB must have a pick he really wants.

cval and barfolomew like this.
  14. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I can't pretend to miss a player that's hardly been out there for the Jets. OMG WHAT A BIG LOSS WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO?!

Please.:rolleyes:

Three good quarters is all this guy will have given the Jets going into 2021 and that's IF they don't cut him or he doesn't come up lame again.

The loss of Adams will be felt because he was such a big part of the defense last year. Mosley? Been there done that.

I don't even think this fraud deserves to be called a Jet.

15. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

ill play.

what exactly makes him a fraud? the fact he got injured? the fact he made the decision not to play during a pandemic? the fact he has a child he cares about? the fact the new york jets ex gm gave him a contract? the fact he is actually a really good player who would actually make a difference if on the field?

barfolomew and GasedAndConfused like this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

no way he isn't here in 2021. due to him opting out this year he only counts 7.35 mil against the cap for 2021 now instead of the 17.5 mil he would have counted in 2021. mosely opting out helps the jets a ton cap wise. If we cut him before 2021 he would count 19.85 mil against the cap in 2021.

So now he sits out a year gets to heal and rest and reset then come back in 2021 dirt cheap for his talent and healed and rested in a year where we have a better chance to compete too. and saves us about 16 mil in cap room between this year and next. between mosley opt out and releasing winters the jets are now top 5 in the NFL for cap room. and we can roll it over into next year.

on top of that with the cap going down next year top tier free agents will be cheaper. we could also see talent shake loose because teams can't afford them. it'll be a good free agent class to get great talent at a bargain and we'll have money to sign them. plus 5 picks in the 1st 3 rounds. the 2021 jets could actually compete for the playoffs

barfolomew and dawinner127 like this.
  17. Falco21

Why did you bite?!

LOL

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  18. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

the more i think about this the more my feelings get mixed

Yes he and other players should be able to opt out.

However, the idea that a guy gets to collect 10MM or whatever while opting out seems ridiculous. It's a very, very bad look for the league. 99.9999% of people have nothing remotely similar to this situation are paying these salaries. When his contract was written (and everyone else's) no one in their right mind could have reasonably foreseen there would be a pandemic etc. and included written provisions for such (for example, no one would have rightly thought the guaranteed payment provision would say "you get 10MM, assuming the league is playing and you're not opting out"). Everyone's expectations had to be you get paid to do your job, whether that's play, recuperate or ride pine.

And while it's easy to ask, who cares, Woody has plenty of $$, to me the real issue is the cap hit affects our ability to fill that void with other players -- so at least the other players care who are losing an opportunity. So the idea of a cap hit from something like this double ridiculous. It also hurts those fanbases where the players opt out because the cap hits makes the team less competitive

to me the right approach for the NFL would be, you opt out you get that 150 or 350 thing and that's it. All other terms in your contract for the year vaporize. Guys are getting 150 or 350k to do nothing. As far as I know that doesn't even obligate them to train, stay in shape and meet the contract's terms (whatever they are) in terms of physical fitness.

So while i agree that players should be able to opt out -- and the ramifications of such in terms of their careers will be whatever they will be -- i think the financial side of such is double ridiculous. It's way out of touch with "fairness" and out of tune with what many people are experiencing in terms of lost jobs etc

barfolomew and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

what's going to happen when its week 8, the Jets are 2-6 and already had multiple cases throughout the league.

Will we see half the team "opt out"??

barfolomew and MaximusD163 like this.
  20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

They cannot opt out after this Thursday.

BrowningNagle likes this.