CJ Mosley opts out of 2020 season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 1, 2020.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

yeah basically he gets 150k to defer a year in his contract. and with his age climbing and his contract being backloaded it's not a good call financially.

also form the reports I seen all the issues in the world are getting to him as well. remember players are people too. I think he just needs a mental break and to not worry about infecting his family right now. and we will also get him really cheap next year too (7.35 mil cap hit) and we save 6 mil on the cap this year which is essentially a dead year at this point but we can roll it over. mosely opting out really benefits the jets cap wise and hurts him financially

2. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

His prorated signing bonus also rolls over. So basically his whole salary will shift. We get an extra year. It could be good or bad. He will be older but that doesn't mean he will decline. We will just have to wait and see what happens.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

And that flame is another year of free agency, draft picks, and experience for young players like Sam and Quinnen. Should set Mosley up nicely for a 2021 return!

I'm less worried about his will to play and more worried if that groin injury was way worse than people realized. When he was originally hurt, they said he would be out 4-6 weeks. Then he came back one game, looked horrible, and missed the rest of the season. He needs to return to his old self, so if the injury is preventing that, it could be a huge issue.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Exactly! I knew that son of a gun had other motivations for opting out other than Covid. Dollars to doughnuts the Adams situation is part of this. But even if it's not, he has millions of reasons to have that fire to play again. If not, then he should be forced to return the $11.5 million in bonus money he received this year, and receive no further money from the Jets.

mrmajix, Cman68 and The Dark Knight like this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I mean I would certainly hope that no player is dumb enough to say "I'm taking this year off to get right mentally and physically because we aren't really going anywhere anyway".

Just read between the lines. He spoke more about his mental and physical state and FINDING HIS DESIRE TO PLAY FOOTBALL more than COVID. It's alarming no matter how you slice it.

mrmajix, cval and Cman68 like this.
  6. The Dark Knight

I have to say: You were right on that one! I tried to give Mosley the benefit of the doubt, but those quotes prove it was more than just Covid-19 and that is unfortunate. Like I said earlier in the thread, the Jets should consider trading him in the off-season. Not sure his contract would allow it, but Douglas clearly wants guys that are all-in and Mosley surely is not.

mrmajix likes this.
  7. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

And this is why ladies and gentlemen, you do not build your team in free agency. Build through the draft with young hungry players and get role players in free agency with high character. When you have a core culture and foundation in place, perhaps then you can fill out with some high end short term pickups to put you over the top (i.e. LT, Jason Taylor, Bart Scott) during our most recent good years.

It's becoming painfully obvious that CJ utilized COVID as a cover to peace out for the year.

Another concern is Adam Gase has already lost this team...well know soon.

rammagen and BomberJet like this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

him opting out helps the jets cap wise a lot and hurts him financially. also if you see his full statement he's bothered a lot by all the shit going on in the world. remember players are human too. it's not the jets bothering him

Mogriffjr likes this.
  9. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

He told the Jets he wanted to win. I wouldn’t be surprised if a desperate Macagnan said they’re making every effort to win now. With Jamal traded and keeping Gase you have to wonder if he wants to continue to play for a bad team. Perhaps this buys him a year to think about things but yeah it’s not looking good. Hopefully a new coach or promoting Gregg Williams would entice him to not retire.

rammagen and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Hurts him financially in the sense that he only gets $10 mil of the $16 mil he was owed and he doesn't lose a cent of that remaining $6 mil it just comes a year later. Poor guy.

mrmajix and The Dark Knight like this.
  11. The Dark Knight

You could understand Mosley being a little upset. Not with the Jets, but with himself. The Ravens offered him like $14.5-$15.5 million. He took the little extra and signed with the Jets. He instantly gets hurt, watches as Lamar Jackson explodes into the NFL MVP. The Jets then trade Adams last week, it could mess with his mentality or his "flame". Still, for that price, he needs to be the leader of the defense, so it is disappointing.

Cman68 and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Everyone is bothered by stuff going on the world. Everyone has issues going on. Everyone still wakes up and goes to work. That's a bullshit excuse. If it was strictly COVID related, I would have no problem, but the other stuff is a problem IMO.

mrmajix and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I'm always looking for a reason to "bright side". But when your huge contract pro bowl free agent and team captain says he doesn't have the fire to play...well things just got very Jetsy. When things get Jetsy the dark side comes calling. Sorry, but we have seen this play before and it never ends happy for us.

Mosey doesn't play on a bad team. He is just on a 7-9 teams roster, in which sometime in future years an older, rustier, version may show up to play.

But at least we will always have those few quarters against Buffalo.

Let him disappear from the news and trade him before the next draft. That is the only time anyone will take his massive contract and still give up something decent.

mrmajix, cval and Cman68 like this.
  14. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

With this COVID pandemic, I've been so out of mind with sports I haven't posted here in a while. But just chiming in, the virus has put everyone in harms way. I try to live each day as I normally would but the masks are too much of a reminder. For football, social distancing can't be enforced, obviously. When having 100+ people on each side of the field in close proximity to one another, how can one not be reminded?

It's a real bummer that Mosley copped out - I'm just wondering what other players will be on that 'line' right behind him? If one, two or three on one team , how many will follow? I bet many players are thinking about this. Especially if just one is tested positive.

15. GasedAndConfused

not himself but with covid and thinking about his family and all the riots and BLM and such it's weighing down a bit on everyone. why not take a year off and spend time with his family?

if you had the option to make 150k and stay at home with your family and take time to reflect and know your job is guaranteed you wouldn't take it?

The Dark Knight and BomberJet like this.
  16. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I can survive on $150K a year :D

17. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

???????? It still doesn’t mean it’s not a bullshit excuse. Not sure where you’re going with that but okay.

18. NCJetsfan

Believe me, I take no pleasure in being "right" on this one. I just had a gut feeling since it hadn't been that long since he made the comment that the Jets would be crazy to trade Adams. I had hoped that Mosley was a voice of maturity and patience with Adams, but now, it appears that he wasn't, and may in fact have been supporting his comments, or at best wasn't saying anything, rather than being the team leader he is being paid to be. If he was close friends with Adams, I can get his disappointment, but Mosley has been around long enough to know that most players don't get a new contract after only two seasons. I also understand frustration with the whole covid thing, and how different it is making everything. It's hard some days not to get discouraged or frustrated, but he willingly accepted more money from the Jets to come here, be a leader, and play knowing that they were rebuilding. If he didn't want to lead or play on a team that wasn't a contender yet, he shouldn't have signed the contract to come here and should have stayed with the Ravens. I have no sympathy for him.

I don't think he's still injured. I don't know how someone could injure their groin so seriously that he would still be having problems with it almost a year later. Gase may or may not be a part of it. That should be irrelevant. Again, I understand that it would be difficult to play for a HC that one doesn't believe in or support, but when one signs a contract in the NFL, one knows that the GM could change, the HC could change, the DC could change, and things could be very different within a year. If he didn't think carefully enough about the possibilities, that's his problem. Following his comment about his lack of fire, I think JD should have a long talk with him and find out what's going on. The Jets are on the cusp of turning things around. If Mosley can't see that, then perhaps he's not very smart. He would be a big part of that turnaround. If it's unhappiness with Gase, JD could tell him that situation may be changing at the end of the year. If it has nothing to do with Gase, then maybe Mosley needs to get some counseling to help him figure out what is going on. With his making a public statement like that, there's no way the Jets could get anything for him. They'd have had a hard enough time anyway, with what is still owed to him. If Mosley tells him that he doesn't want to play at all any more, then JD could tell him to return the bonus money he was paid this year, forget getting the rest of his contract, and he can retire. If Mosley tells JD that he just doesn't want to play for the Jets any more, then JD should tell him that he should have come to him rather than making a public statement, and that JD could have tried to find a team to which to trade him. Further, he should tell him that he had better find that fire and desire to play here before next season, or the Jets will be suing him to recoup the bonus money they paid him this year, and he will get no further money from them.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

It would be a sacrifice, but I could do that as well. ;) LOL

BomberJet likes this.
  20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Did you never play on those crazy dance mat games in your socks, one slip and an accidental splits and your groin was in serious trouble for a long time :D