Mets Regular Season thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Apr 9, 2012.

1. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

1-for-15 with RISP, 5 straight losses. Mets fall to 3-7 for the first time in 10 years. Can't wait for deGrom's no-decision tomorrow!

2. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

Yoenis Cespedes is opting out of the 2020 season. I don't get why he had to be dramatic about this by not just informing the team.

3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Watching Cespedes play is more disappointing than knowing he won’t play.

stinkyB likes this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Time for Brodie to opt out ?

5. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

He wanted 6 mil, but decided it wasn't worth it.

He quit. He won't sign a contract next year

6. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Too bad.....he actually looked decent at the plate so far......on to the golf course!

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Can someone tell my why Brodie is getting a pass on this? So far, he's been a lousy GM but somehow, continues to get the benefit of the doubt.

8. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I wish I had the answer for this. I listen to sports talk radio all day, every day and they don't bring him up at all. It's mind blowing to me.

Can anyone else see the manager getting fired this year, Cohen buys the team and BVW convinces him into signing his boy Hinch? Jesus.

9. JetBlue

We could only be so lucky Cohen gets back into the bidding.

10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Cohen is already back in the bidding and by all accounts the high bidder.

11. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

My guess is that if it was a normal year there would be a lot more outcry. I don't listen to sports radio, but I would also wonder if he's getting the benefit of the doubt, or the team is just being ignored altogether? The Diaz/Cano trade looks like it will be a real stinker, but no one saw coming Diaz turning into the worst reliever in baseball, so it's Diaz who has taken the heat, not Brodie (and, in fact, Cano is playing very well now). He re-signed deGrom, which everyone supported, and obviously Syndergaard's injury wasn't his fault, either. I am unimpressed with Rojas, but he wasn't actually Brodie's choice for manager, Beltran was.

I personally think Brodie is just an empty suit - he's not awful, he's just not good either. His GM version of WAR is about 0. It just seems that nothing ever works out for this team - even when they have the best pitcher in baseball on the mound they can't win those games. The proof of them being cursed will be when the owners collude to keep Cohen from buying the team, which at this point I fully expect.

12. JetBlue

That’s good news that I wasn’t aware of.

Obviously it wasn’t money that stalled his previous offer; wasn’t it the Wilpon’s attempt to maintain control of the team for five years and retain ownership of SNY?

13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Pretty sure that was the case

14. dawinner127

Bingo. Could you imagine selling someone something (a house, a car, whatever it may be) and telling them you want to do the deal but want five more years of usage out of it? Some balls by the Wilpon's. They lost out on quite a bit of money now too because I'm pretty sure Cohen's new offer of 2b includes all of SNY when the first bid of 2.6 billion was only part of SNY?

15. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I believe Cohen made a bid of 2 bill each for the team and SNY but I'd need more clarification on that.

Also I don't mind BVW as a GM aside for trading away prospects for 5th OF's. He's traded away Taylor and now Humphreys for Marisnick and now Billy Hamilton. He was able to bring in a Ryan Cordell off the street for free and has Fargas (basically budget Billy Hamilton) already in the minors, not to mention Lagares is back.

I don't see why he continues to sacrafice a very thin SP corps in the minors for these type of players.

16. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

For what, Cespedes? Brodie was on the other side of the negotiating table when he signed and you can't really blame the guy for Ces leaving although you do wonder why they had to go out of their way to try to smear him claiming he skipped out without telling them when there's evidence that wasn't the case.

Brodie's getting bagged on everything else and rightly so - the ridiculous Cano/Diaz trade that just keeps on giving, not keeping Wheeler then giving assets up for Stroman only not to get much out of him before he walks as a FA, nuking almost all of the prospects from the previous regime for the sake of prospect turnover, even to the point where Brodie just gives away three guys for CF's who can't hit (Hamilton, Marisnick) that he didn't need to give up jack for.

17. dawinner127

You're right. It was 2B for the Mets and 2B for the network.

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2020/07/09/report-steve-cohen-makes-2-billion-offer-to-purchase-mets/

18. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

The NY media seems to only care about winners and right now the Mets are worse than the stuff on the bottom of my shoes.

I watched part of the Angels / Mariners game last night. The commentators were saying the Mariners did it right, cleaned house and started fresh with very good young talent. One said their GM was worried about the rebuild being all in because they were saddled with Cano's contract and he was not tradeable.

Enter Brodie.... and one of the worst trades ever in Mets history. I'm sure Steve will clean house once he's in charge.

jilozzo and dawinner127 like this.
  19. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

- Good win last night and an encouraging start from Porcello. 7 innings strong, low pitch count, GREAT infield defense led by JD Davis. It's a super small sample size but I'd be inclined to move McNeil back to LF. Giminez looks like a wiz at SS...may need to have that talk of Rosario to CF sooner then later.

dawinner127, JetBlue and jilozzo like this.
  20. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

I don’t know why but their play has genuinely surprised me.