Finally Some Info On Who We Got

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Jul 30, 2020.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Instead of talking about Adam's. He's gone and I prefer never to hear his name again.

FILED UNDER:

A Seattle Perspective on Bradley McDougald
    By John B Jul 29, 2020, 2:00pm EDTShare this on Facebook (opens in new window)
    [​IMG]Joe Nicholson-USA TODAY Sports
    Most of the focus on the trade the Jets and the Seahawks made over the weekend went to Jamal Adams and the multiple first round picks changing teams. The Jets did acquire a potential starter, however, in Bradley McDougald.

What can Jets fans expect? Our friends from SB Nation’s Seahawks site, Field Gulls, were kind enough to provide a scouting report.

Bradley McDougald’s a safety. That part... was already known. What most non-Seahawks fans won’t know, however, is that he’s two safeties. During his time with Seattle, he lined up at strong and free, or at least saw snaps in which he and his fellow safety were barely distinguishable. That being said, SS is his natural home and McDougald is thus well equipped to succeed Jamal Adams in Jets dark green instead of Seahawks nuclear green.

He’s reliable. It’s not wise to count on McDougald to be the foremost playmaker on the field; that being said, he won’t leave many plays on the field. He’s not likely to get beat over the top, he’s not likely to miss a tackle, and he’s not likely to be any sort of headache in the locker room. You get all the professionalism of a man who’s going to his third team as he’s turning 30, with the downside of course being that imminent birthday in November.

Ten career interceptions is nothing to sneeze at, but seems really unlikely you’d see him rush the QB like Adams.

So in short, McDougald is steady, typically healthy (47 games played out of 48 in the last three years) with the ability to be good and the track record to not be bad. He’ll catch the gift interceptions; he’ll be assignment correct. During his Seahawks tenure we saw him at the single-high, in the box plenty (PFF loved him in 2017 against the run) and even at nickel from time to time.

For those who’d like a film breakdown from before the 2018 season, our former writer Jamar Rashuan did one here.

What do you think, Jets fans?

Top ArticlesWhat to expect during the NBA’sreturn, in a 5‑minute read

READ MORE

SKIP AD

[​IMG]
    New York Jets Flight Connections 7/30/20

2. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I like that their site is called field gulls. That's such a stupid and funny name.

hornblower and Jake like this.
  3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

4. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Adams is a whiny baby. It's a big turnoff no matter how good a player he is. I look forward to more awesome drafts from Douglas, especially with those two extra first round picks.

matt robinson 17 and azhar80 like this.
  5. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

I like the fact that McDougald had interceptions in the last two seasons (Adams has only 2). We need the turnovers!

BrickcityJet and boozer32 like this.
  6. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Durable, Professional, Can Play multiple positions in the backfield, rarely misses an assignment, team guy, and reasonably priced. Age isn't a concern for me as he will likely be part of a positional rotation the next 2-3 years.
    As another poster said, he was the gravy or cherry on top of this package. Like it a lot

amuck57 and boozer32 like this.
  7. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Nice to hear that McDougald is a decent player, but he's a placeholder. Let's not kid ourselves by swole-ing him up. By the time the JD Jets are making serious noise, he will not be a factor.

Right now our secondary is a major weakness. We are going to get strafed for a lot of points this year. I'm just telling you. Don't be crushed when it happens. That's not what this year is about.

MaximusD163 likes this.
  8. boozer32

I too like that part of his game. I just hope we have a season. I'm ready.

9. boozer32

I'm a fan

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think it's as bad as you think it is. Desir is pretty good. Quincy Wilson has talent. So does Bryce Hall, Bless Austin, Ashtyn Davis, Shyheim Carter. The rookies will probably struggle some, but they will see playing time and they will make plays. McDougald is better than just decent. He has been rated as one of the top 5 Ss in man-to-man coverage over the last couple of years. If Q. Williams shows up and produces, we could see a lot of interceptions this year. The offense should be able to sustain drives with a better OL, and we have some real burners, so can also score quickly. They can bend, but not break. I wouldn't care if we won a bunch of shootouts. Those games are more exciting and in the end they come down to a team making a key stop or creating a key turnover.

11. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Not an SEC dog. Juss sayin

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  12. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

It won’t be horrendous as long as the offense can move the ball and score. This year my burning questions are:
    1. Will Darnold be good?
    2. Will Becton be good?
    3. Will Q Williams be a legitimate pass rusher?
    4. Can Mims be a legitimate #1 or #2 target?
    5. Can Fant be a legitimate RT?
    6. Can either Hall or Austin be a legitimate #2 CB?
    7. Can Zuniga be a legitimate #2 Edge rusher?
    8. Can Clark be a starting OG by year 2?

13. NCJetsfan

I believe the offense will move the ball. If it doesn't, initially that could be blamed on the lack of OTA, minicamp, and getting the OL time to gel. Afterwards, that will be on Gase.

1. I think Darnold will be very good.
    2. I think Becton will be good. He may struggle some, but with his athleticism, size, strength and attitude, I think he's going to be a great one. I think the OL will be solid, if not good or even very good.
    3. That's a good question. We all better hope he will be. That will make things a lot better and easier for Douglas. If not, it will be one more screwup by Mac which will on get worse as we watch Josh Allen continue to rack up sacks and pressures for the Jaguars. 10.5 sacks his rookie season. Fuck you, Mac, you moron!!!
    4. Yes, he definitely is a legitimate #2, and I think he will prove to be a legitimate #1.
    5. Again a good question. I think he can. He'd better be if the OL is going to be good; otherwise, teams will just put their best pass rusher on that side. I have more faith in him than I do Edoga.
    6. Yes. I think possibly both can. The only thing I worry about with Hall is his lack of foot speed He's not slow, but not fast, either. I think that's why he'll always be limited to being the #2 CB. I think Austin may have more potential if he can stay healthy and develop the mental part of his game more.
    7. Again, we'd better hope so. How awesome would it be if both Q. Williams and Zuniga were able to consistently get pressure? That would open things up for Zuniga. I have hopes for Huff. He may be a UDFA, but the kid has athleticism, speed, desire, and I think the work ethic to succeed.
    8. Yes, I definitely think so. It wouldn't surprise me if he was ready to start by mid-season.

14. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

We will certainly miss Jamal's ability to rush the passer, but if this guy can cover and has recently gotten more interceptions than Jamal then thats pretty good. What we really have needed for the longest of time (over a decade now) is edge rush and Joe D better address that next year no excuses, we shouldnt be relying on a safety to do that for us. In terms of run D we still have a very stout front 7 that should still be good especially with Mosley and Williamson back. Our defensive line should really come into its own with Quinnen, Shepard, Phillips, and Fatukasi being the future.

We will obviously be less talented without Jamal but I think McDougald is a fine player to replace him in the short term. With our 2 ILB's coming back and hopeful progession with some of our younger players having Jamal might not even make the difference what is likely to be a 6-8 win season anyway.

15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Kinda sucks that he won’t ever play in front of a Jets crowd unless we resign him. He seems like a guy that’s going to be really easy to root for too.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

You aren't the first guy to say something about our missing Jamal's ability to rush the passer, so I'm not picking on you, but rather responding to that general sentiment. I think his ability to rush the passer is way overblown. He had 6.5 sacks last season not 14.5, not 10.5, not even 8.5. Five of his sacks came in two games where that team had what may be even a worse OL than the Jets. In his other 12 games, he had 1.5 sacks. Further, in 16 games in 2018 he had 3.5 sacks, and in 16 games in 2017 he had only two sacks. So, it's not like he some supreme pass rusher/sack artist. CJ Mosley had 7 sacks between his first two seasons, and has only had 1.5 since. Avery Williamson has averaged just under 3 sacks per season. I credit whatever success Adams had as a pass rusher to the way in which Greg Williams used him, and if Pete Carroll doesn't use him in a similar fashion, then he may never approach 6.5 sacks again.